• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dougiefish OFFLINE  

Dougiefish
  • Member No: 47593
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 11:23 AM

I have fallen in love with this tractor. The 48" deck cuts beautifully! However, the twin 16 smokes a bit at start up and seems to lack a little bit on power. I know they don't make these engines any longer but I was wondering if rebuild parts are still available. Also if the motor is even considered rebuild-able? I have found some great info on here and am looking forward to these discussions!

• JRJ and Sawdust have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 02:30 PM

Welcome to GTT. You can download the manual from our Manuals Section. Parts are available. Before you even worry about rebuilding, do a complete servicing. Change oil and use 30w oil. Tune it up(electrical and carboration). Remove the tin and clean all cooling fins. Add Marvel Mystery Oil(MMO) to the gas at 1/2 ounce per gallon and run it for a few more cuttings. The smoking can be caused by too rich of a fuel mixture or stuck rings. The tuneup should remedy the mixture and MMO should free the rings. A full rebuild kit is probably available from one of our sponsors. Good Luck, Rick

Check your crankcase breather for proper operation too.

Edited by boyscout862, September 27, 2013 - 02:33 PM.

• skunkhome and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,948 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 03:12 PM

Yea, the Allis I grew up with was the best cutting tractor I've ever used. I will rebuild it one of these days.

It's possible to find rebuild parts, just have to search. If it's just smoking a little then Iwould say it would rebuild easily, maybe some light machine work. The "un-rebuildable" ones are usually those with a hole in the side of the block.

• boyscout862 said thank you