#17 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,317 Thanks
  • 2,412 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 08:49 AM

WOW.  You did a great job with all the restorations!  I bet your daughter and grand daughter are very proud of ya!  Great job!  Thanks a bunch for posting this!

#18 Hammerdown OFFLINE  

Hammerdown
  • Member No: 46960
  • 127 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 05:40 AM

I bet the dealership was mad. I wouldn't have told them it ran. I would have just said I ate my spinach and loaded it.

Very nice presentations! What did you do for your G' daughter's next birthday? :D

Hello Lilysdad

Our Granddaughter's second Birthday will not be until this coming December and our Daughter is expecting another one, being our second grandchild the very same month. I have not given any thought to what I am going to do this year, as at this time I am recovering from a Major Back surgery so my shop has been a Ghost town lately. I am Planning on hunting Deer this November as I worked most of the summer preparing a new to me 2000 Arctic-Cat quad. Back in Late February I was Lying in a hospital bed after back surgery and noticed that the state of Tennessee all ready had 38 Motorcycle fatalities. I have ridden Motorcycle's since I was seven I started out on Rupp Mini-Bike's then got into Yamaha MX Motorcycles as well as the YZ's then had street bikes. I had owned a 1983 Yamaha Maxim 750 four cylinder shaft drive Motorcycle that my wife and I had ridden for the past 12 Year's but last summer we had Two close accident's from idiot's texting. Both time's we were at Red Light's and I always' watch my rear view Mirror's when sitting at them. I saw both Car's coming way too fast and Moved out of the way to watch them slam into the car's that were ahead of us, which would have Likely killed us if I had not been watching good. I swapped my Yamaha Maxim for the Arctic-Cat quad so my wife and I can enjoy some off road riding where we are in control of our destiny. I Miss riding my Street bike but it is Far too dangerous out on the road with one for me any More. Here is another Project I took on this summer. it is a 1971 International Harvester Cub Cadet dump trailer. It was owned by a friend of mine that had not used it for the past 25 Years as it sat in his cow barn slowly rusting away. He said that I could have it Free so long as I did something with it. I took it all apart and restored it.I could have easily Painted this dump Trailer John Deere Green and applied some John Deere Decal's but to me that just would not have been right as it was nolt a John Deere dump Trailer it was a Cub-Cadet trailer so I went with Factory International Harvester white color and International Harvestor decals on it.  Here are some picture's of it before, during and after it's restoration. I need to get some recent picture's of it as I finally located the hard to find wheel spindle bearing cap's for it. They were black rubber and every I.H. Cub Cadet type two trailer I have seen was missing them, mine included. I scoured the Internet for them as they have been discontinued for a long time, but I was lucky and found a pair of NOS One's in a small I.H. Dealership in New Hampshire. I paid $10.40 for them shipped to my door. I Painted them I.H. white and Placed them on my Trailer spindles & they were the finishing touch to this restoration.  Regards, Hammerdown

005401.JPG

004455.JPG

003499.JPG

004476.JPG

003538.JPG

002580.JPG

001658.JPG

007357.JPG

006367.JPG

005417.JPG

004478.JPG

005420.JPG

002582.JPG

001660.JPG

Edited by Hammerdown, September 29, 2013 - 05:48 AM.

• dyt4000, KennyP, skyrydr2 and 2 others have said thanks

#19 Hammerdown OFFLINE  

Hammerdown
  • 127 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 06:30 AM

I bet the dealership was mad. I wouldn't have told them it ran. I would have just said I ate my spinach and loaded it.

Hello mybigwarwagon

When I was Placing the ratchet strap's on the tractor to hold it down on my Trailer, the sale's guy approached me and asked me how I got it Loaded alone ? I told him that I jump started it and drove it on my trailer after I aired up it's flat front tire. He then turned top the Mechanic who had walked out there with him and said "I thought you told me that this tractor did not run" ? The mechanic said it didn't it's battery was flat.The Main mechanic and two other's that had come out to the back lot to help load my Tractor walked off as I was left standing there with the sale's guy.Once I had it cinched down, I asked the sales guy if they had Taken a loss on it, or if he was mad about it being a running tractor that they sold for only $300.00 out the door tax included ? he said that they did not take any Loss as they did not put much into it with the trade, and that they would have sold it wholesale no matter if it ran or not as it was far too old for them to warranty as all Tractor's sold by this John Deere dealership had to carry a factory warranty when they were sold. I am an Honest person so I asked him if he needed any more Money for it now that he knew that it ran ?. He slapped me on the back and said "Enjoy your new to you Tractor", and thank's for asking but I am happy with what we got out of it, I hope it serves you well". I gave hom a card with my name and number and told him if they got any more like this one to give me a call, but I have not heard back from them.

When I was young, Growing up my Dad Taught me that a man is only as good as his Word. I have tried to apply that all through my life and it has served me rather well. About 17 Year's ago, my wife paid a down payment on a 5' Bush hog for an upcoming Birthday of mine. At the time we had  the last 27 acres and Barn of what was an Original 1600 acre parcel and I field mowed Five acre's of it with our 1956 International Harvester Farmall 100 Tractor. The bush hog I had been using to mow the field with was flat wore out, so she saw this super heavy duty Ford brand bush hog and wanted to give to me as a surprise birthday present. She paid half the price of it which was $350.00 down and got a Receipt. She returned the following week to pay the balance and to have them deliver it to our Place, but the bush Hog was no where to be seen. Apparently the Part's counter guy liked it as well as my wife did and sold it to his brother in law without Telling Management he did so. My wife was mader than a wet hornet when she heard this so she asked to see the owner of the John Deere dealership. She explained to him that the bush hog was going to be my surprise Birthday present and now there was not another one to be had, so his Part's counter Guy had ruined my surprise Birthday present. She then quickly told him "A Person is only as Good as their Word" and right now this dealership was Not looking Too good at all.

The owner apologized and asked her to follow him outside. He walked her over to a stack of Brand New John Deere bush Hog's and asked her if one of these would do ? She said that she did not have enough to buy a brand new one that is why she wanted the Used Ford one that had gotten sold out from under her. The owner told her to pay the balance of the receipt that she owned on the Ford bush hog and he would replace it with a brand spanking new John Deere bush hog. She did so and they even delivered it Free of Charge the Morning of my Birthday. I was so shocked & Overwhelmed at this John Deere dealership owner's Integrity that I made the trip over there later in the morning to Look him in the eye shake his hand and thank him for what he had done. I handed him and envelope and said open this once I am gone. I had bought a Thank You card and it said you are a man of your word, Thanks. I Placed $50.00 cash in there to cover the fuel cost of them delivering it to me as I Feel Nothing in this old World is free. :thumbs:  I enjoyed that new bush hog and when I sold my Farmall after we sold the farm it went with it, but I shared the story of how it came to me with the new owner. He too was surprised at how the Transaction turned out. There are still some Good down to Earth people out there these days you just have to search a little harder these day's to find them. :angel: Regards, Hammerdown

Edited by Hammerdown, September 29, 2013 - 06:32 AM.

• dyt4000, KennyP, Newpaws493 and 2 others have said thanks

#20 dyt4000 OFFLINE  

dyt4000

• Contributor
  • Member No: 405
  • 17 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 10:28 AM

Wonderful stories and beautiful tractor and trailer! You sir, are an artist.

• Hammerdown said thank you

#21 Hammerdown OFFLINE  

Hammerdown
  • 127 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 06:49 AM

Wonderful stories and beautiful tractor and trailer! You sir, are an artist.

Hello dyt4000

I appreciate your Kind words. I looked a long time to find a good clean John Deere 318. I had watched them since the first one's back in 1983 and all that came up for sale seemed to be super high in their retail price. I had a friend that had one and he let me mow his lawn with it one day and I was Hooked for life. The Power Steering feature is one of the nicest feature's as it operates with finger Tip ease and allow's the Tractor to turn a very short radius. When I first got married I bought a tiny John Deere Model 70 rider lawn Mower. It had a 30" deck and I used it to clear our Three acre Parcel with, but it strained the engine so badly that it tossed a connecting rod on me. I then Bought a Model 216 John Deere that had a single cylinder 16 Horsepower Kohler engine that had Ton's of Power but it shook violently as most larger horsepower single cylinder Kohler's did. It had the Rarely seen hydraulic Lift option and a 48" deck. I then made a lethal mistake and sold it as we moved to a sub division and I felt that I did not need a big Tractor. That Mistake cost me of Not having a John Deere for better than a year, then I came across a Model 120 John Deere that was a 1970 Model. The 120 was John Deer's first venture of a Hydrostatic Transmission and the engine was a 12 Horsepower single cylinder Kohler. I bought it blown up for $100.00 and Placed a brand new Kohler short block in it after I restored it. I added a 54" Hydro turn dirt dozer blade to it that I bought brand new from a John Deere dealer for $600.00. I then found a snow blower and cozy Cab for it so I had everything that I needed. I used it for about five year's then we decided to move out of state so I sold it off in a farm auction separating the Implement's I made $2800.00 on it and that Proved to me how well that these John Deere Lawn & garden Tractor's held their value.

Once I relocated out of state I found a 1966 John Deere 112. It had the Tecumseh single cylinder engine in it that ran excellent. I bought it Non running for $150.00. It came with it's original mowing deck, and a dirt dozer blade. It was of old school with it's round fender design. I used it for about Two Year's and was at a John Deere dealership one day getting some part's for it, when the Mechanic saw it on my Trailer. He asked me if it was for sale ? I told him No I like it the Tractor has been good to me. He then asked if $1000.00 would buy it ? I was shocked and said show me the money. I told him that the blade went with it so I had to go home to get it but that I would return before they closed that day with it. He was glad to get it as he said he collected older John Deere Tractor's and did not have this one so it ended well for both of us. I ten managed to land a very nice John Deere 314 made in the early 1980's. It came to me with a fresh Kohler 14 Horse power short block engine. It felt good to get back to a Hydrostatic Transmission. I used that Tractor for about five year's then sold it and doubled my money. Yearning for another John Deere I located a nice looking 1969 John Deere 140. It came with a 47 Mowing deck and Ran well. Two year's later I added a Model 31 mechanical tiller to it. I built the drive system for the tiller myself and we used it to Till Our Vegetable garden. Three Year's later I located my current 1983 John Deere 318 the one I had always' wanted but was not able to afford. Once it proved to be a good machine I sold off my 1969 John Deere 140 with it Implement's to fund a Model 30 Hydraulic tiller for my 318. As You can see I have had a multitude of Older John Deere Tractor's in the past 30 Year's and I have to say they all were good one's causing me very little trouble. I learned very early on that John Deere offered Part's for their older Tractor's where as other Manufacturer's dropped their parts four to five year's after a Tractor's Introduction. I also learned that a John Deere was an Investment as I never took a Loss on any John Deere Tractor that I bought and most time's either doubled my money or made a hefty profit. I feel with the total restoration recently done on my 318 it will last me the rest of my days so I am very satisfied with it and have no urge to sell, trade or attempt to up-grade as I feel that the 318 John Deere was the best lawn Tractor ever made to come out of Horicon work's Plant. I regret Not getting picture's of all of the John Deere Tractor's that I have owned over the year's but here is my 1969 John Deere 140 in action Tilling our Vegetable garden. It too was a very Faithful machine and never gave me any Problems, but I must say that my 318 with it's Model 30 Hydraulic tiller Put's it to Shame. Regards, Hammerdown

TillingGarden002.jpg

• twostep said thank you