Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Briggs Vanguard 16-18 Hp For Craftsman, Thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 09:41 PM

Recent events have got me thinking, Briggs Vanguard 16-18 hp. Looks as though it would bolt right up as well as the booster fan and drive pulley. Problem is, me is separated of $1,000 to want one, so would sell a few things. But what is all of your guys opinion on them? Pros? Cons?
  • EricFromPa said thank you

#2 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 09:58 PM

You'll get around 300 hours on 1 before you start to run into Carb trouble but other than that they are very dependable engines.My Cub Cadet 2165 had a 16hp V-Twin vanguard in it and it had 1,200 hours + change on it.It was just starting to smoke a bit because of worn rings and horrible maintenance.

They are ALOT easier on Fuel than the Kohler Twins that's a fact.

Have you thought of getting a Tractor with a Vanguard in it?

Here's a GT with a Newer 18hp Vanguard in it for $600.

http://classifieds.p...dindex=2526880 

I've seen several 2000 series Cub Cadet tractors with 16hp Vanguards in them sell for $400-600 in various condition.

Edited by EricFromPa, September 26, 2013 - 10:01 PM.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 10:15 PM

Thinking of replacing the Briggs opposed twin that is in the Caterpillar due to it not starting again... And not knowing how or why it keeps messing with me by being relIable for a while and then when I need it, it doesn't start.

Considering buying new so I can do proper maintanance and it would probably last me forever.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, September 26, 2013 - 10:16 PM.

• EricFromPa said thank you

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 10:23 PM

I hear ya man.I'm tired of throwing money at my broken tractor engines to.I keep looking at those cheap 16hp Honda Clone engines on Ebay for $300-$350.They're cheap and will last a good while and they're super easy on Fuel.If it blows up after 600 hours or so throw it away and get another one.lol

Your Sig is the Perfect fit for me.Sold all the good machines and what I have left is all broke. :rolling: Well everything is broke but the little grey Craftsman that I got for free to beat around in the woods on.That one still runs until I swap the pulleys and kill it trail riding lol.

Edited by EricFromPa, September 26, 2013 - 10:32 PM.

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 10:37 PM

Ya, I know it all too well, and some may be going away. I feel the opposed twin isn't broken, just mean spirited. I have thrown dollars at it to improve the situation, and after 4-5 years of this on agin, off again pita, I'm thinking of an upgrade. With the current drive system it is tough to find a horizontal shaft engine able to drive a tractor off the front via the belt, but the vanguard looks like a certain fit, and I think the booster fans interchange even, therefore easy install. Now the thing I read about these 1980s craftsmanship is that no one things they are worth throwing 1000 dollar engines on. I'm here to say I have money in it, and I feel it may hold up, I mean heck, the last couple owners abused this thing too. So maybe the engine is getting old? I mean the engine is 25 years old, but it doesn't smoke, but maybe a trick?

#6 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 03:13 AM

Casey, the tractor is a good rig! May be a bit ugly , but they work just as well, and in some cases better than any of the same kind today!

Go for it !

Your not after brute power, so the Briggs is a good choise , Kohlers are fuel drinkers for sure ! But they also make a lot of power too. :thumbs:

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 09:31 PM

Thanks for the opinions. Anyone here actually have a Vamguard in their collection that they use? I really do want to hear personal experiences.

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 04:25 PM

Anyone else?