11 replies to this topic

#1 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 09:09 PM

Ok, so the Massey 12s (and countless others)  can adjust the width of the wheel track by reversing the wheels.  I know the right wheel needs to stay in its regular position so it can follow in the track of the right front wheel.  But with a narrow wheelbase, a lot of the tractor's weight shifts onto the right side wheel and off the left wheel.  Has anyone tried turning out only the left side wheel?  It SHOULD make the tractor tilt a little less, and result in a little less weight transfer from left to right.  I'm going to be running turf tires with chains, so no problems with directional tread.  

#2 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 09:28 PM

It sounds like it should work . the DB plow instructions want you to do that , more the LH wheel out the way out on the axle , RH  gets  set   for  the plow .Would be  enough clearance  underneath if it was  move out to the extreme  left ?

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 09:58 PM

I have tried a couple of things and have realized the on our tractors, the best medicine is and extra 30+ lbs on the left wheel.
  • Alc and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 10:04 PM

I found out last weekend that the best thing to do is keep my 220lbs. on the left fender, it also made it easier to watch the plow...

• MH81, KennyP, HowardsMF155 and 1 other said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 10:20 PM

I found out last weekend that the best thing to do is keep my 220lbs. on the left fender, it also made it easier to watch the plow...

Like I said... 30 + lbs

(Just kidding Brian, I'm at 215 right now myself)
  • Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 05:46 AM

Yep, extra weight on the left helps!

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#7 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 07:34 PM

I talked this over with my kids, especially since they are the ones driving.  We also checked the displacement by turning the wheel around using a spare rim I have.  We decided it might not make much difference, although I'd still like to try it one day.  Mostly we concentrated on drilling holes in barbell weight plates so we could bolt them to the wheel.  Put 33 lbs on the right side and 33+25 on the left.  Right now, in my garden which has been worked for several years, the tractor pulls well with no chains.  Got two tractors loaded, two plows, gas can, oil, a small compressor, tools, and the camera is sitting in the truck with extra batteries.

https://www.youtube....Z1or5U9TyqoAgqg

• MH81 and IamSherwood have said thanks

#8 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 09:29 PM

I run BOTH rear wheels in the side stance  on my JD430(because they line up with the front tire and makes it easier to stay in the furrow) with 70# starter weights on both sides and usually an extra weight on each side.  The last time I plowed I was having traction issues due to the ground being super hard so I added an extra 50# to the left side.

• Texas Deere and Horse and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#9 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 10:56 AM

I had some time to re-visit this idea last weekend so I followed up, first by measuring front and rear wheels "inside tread-to-inside tread".  What I found on the Massey is that the inside of the front wheels measures pretty close to 24 inches, however in the narrow position, the rear wheels are only 20 inches from inside to inside, meaning that trying to keep the front wheel firmly against the furrow wall when plowing is causing the tractor to 'crab' sideways a little.

GE 040.JPG GE 044.JPG

However, by moving the wheels from one side to the other, which preserves the correct orientation of the treads, I was able to increase the inside tread measurement to nearly 24 inches, which should now mean that the tractor will sit straight in the furrow with both front and rear wheels solidly against the furrow wall.

GE 041.JPG GE 043.JPG GE 042.JPG

So here the tractor sits after moving the wheels out.  I was concerned that changing the tread width would impact the hitch adjustment of the plow, but nothing was noticed.  I did feel that the tractor didn't pitch over at quite so steep an angle, which physics says is true, but is it detectable to human senses?  The only negative Impact I noticed is that the wheel bolts were now too short to hold the weights on.  However, this is balanced by the deeper well of the wheel available, which can now be filled with weight.

• DH1 said thank you

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 11:10 AM

I end up with 35 more pounds on left wheel, after adding 100 pounds to each wheel. And that is just enough weight to get me traction. I only weigh 140 pounds...

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 11:52 PM

Looks like you found a good work around on the issue. I have a couple of tractors that I run the front wheels a couple inches off the furrow wall, will need to look int this plan as an option.
According to the brinly manual, hitch position is determined by wheel width, but the proof is always in the results.

Oh, and I'm with Casey. I have about 27 lbs more on the uphill side... And I weigh "a little more than 140" lbs

#12 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 04:44 AM

This is something I have figured out when plowing with the FF. I haven't measured the inside track yet, but the backs are a lot closer together.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: plow, weight, wheel spacing