Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Will This Stuff From A Snapper 1855 Fit A Snapper 1650?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 11:37 AM

Tried researching this and couldn't confirm for sure.  Will a Front blade from an 1855 Snapper fit a Snapper 1650 no matter the wideth?  Also will a mid mount mower (both 48 and 54 inch) from a 1855  fit the 1650?  Auction is Saturday and just was told about these so kind of in a hurry! 

Thanks guys!

Reg

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 11:39 AM

Decks between the 50 & 55 series DO NOT interchange at all.  55 series decks are shaft drive, while the 50 series are mule drive V-belt driven.  The blades should interchange fine.

• JDBrian, gtcsreg and jpswift1 have said thanks

#3 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 03:49 PM

Decks between the 50 & 55 series DO NOT interchange at all.  55 series decks are shaft drive, while the 50 series are mule drive V-belt driven.  The blades should interchange fine.

Thanks, if the good 1855 sells cheap I might just have to buy it to restore and sell the 1650.  Would have to sell very cheap though.  Mixed feelings on that one.

#4 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 07:19 PM

From The sterring wheel back the machines are basicaly the same. Big difference is the axles and rear wheels. 1650 is 5 bolt 21?X10.50X12 and the 1855 is 6 bolt 26X12X12. Few minor differences in how the rear PTO and frame dimension are. The major difference is all in the front end. The 1650 is 6ish inches shorter, front spindles are 3/4 inch with reatining bolt holding the front wheel on, front and mid powered attachments are powered by a belt and mule drive. The 1855 has 1 inch auto style spindles with tapered bearings 3 bolt hubs on the front wheels, an actual PTO for front and mid mount power. The PTO is belt drive off the front of the engine. There are some other major differences in the drive line for getting the power from the motor to the hydro and rear PTO

The biggest draw back to the 1855 is the Onan engine. Alot of people are scared about them because they are expensive to fix. Personally I would not hesitate to buy one with an onan.

If you feel good about how the tractor looks and it is the right money for you, get it. I dont think you will be disappointed in it. I have had my 1855 for 4 years and it is my GOTO tractor for everything. I do have a 1650 but its been under restoration for about 3 years now, so I cant give you a head to head comparison of how they operate.

• TAHOE, gtcsreg, Avalontractor and 1 other said thanks

#5 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 07:41 PM

From The sterring wheel back the machines are basicaly the same. Big difference is the axles and rear wheels. 1650 is 5 bolt 21?X10.50X12 and the 1855 is 6 bolt 26X12X12. Few minor differences in how the rear PTO and frame dimension are. The major difference is all in the front end. The 1650 is 6ish inches shorter, front spindles are 3/4 inch with reatining bolt holding the front wheel on, front and mid powered attachments are powered by a belt and mule drive. The 1855 has 1 inch auto style spindles with tapered bearings 3 bolt hubs on the front wheels, an actual PTO for front and mid mount power. The PTO is belt drive off the front of the engine. There are some other major differences in the drive line for getting the power from the motor to the hydro and rear PTO

The biggest draw back to the 1855 is the Onan engine. Alot of people are scared about them because they are expensive to fix. Personally I would not hesitate to buy one with an onan.

If you feel good about how the tractor looks and it is the right money for you, get it. I dont think you will be disappointed in it. I have had my 1855 for 4 years and it is my GOTO tractor for everything. I do have a 1650 but its been under restoration for about 3 years now, so I cant give you a head to head comparison of how they operate.

You guys have been very, very helpful.  The Onan only has 50 hours on a rebuild and I've known the guy's reputation since I was a teen so not too worried about the engine.  Was thinking switching some of the new parts from the 1650 such as wheels, tires, and seat.  Now I know only the seat could go.  Not a deal breaker as I know how versatile the 3 point would be.  Might not switch anything because the seat looks good in the picture.  Likely won't be cheap enough anyway but a guy can dream.

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 07:47 PM

Front wheels are different made, 50 series simple insert bearing style rims, with the 55 series having 4 lug front rims, plus different sizes 16x6.50/8 vs 18x8.50/8, and rear rims the 50 series is 5 lug, while the 55's are 6 lug.

• TAHOE, gtcsreg and jpswift1 have said thanks

#7 ENafziger OFFLINE  

ENafziger
  • Member No: 45112
  • 254 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 09:42 AM

Wow, sorry I'm seeing this late, but it looks like they've about answered your questions.  The front blade would be interchangeable with only slight work.  If the blade is made right, it will connect to the hitch on the rear of the tractor...since the 1855 is ~ 6 inches longer, you'd probably want to adjust accordingly.  The 1855 blades were usually 54" vs the 48" on the 1650s.  Also, the big blade sometimes used a push plate that bolted to the front of the tractor frame as an extra support point.  I can get a picture if you need.

Did you get the 1855 and deck?  It's a good thing I didn't know about the action, because you might've had someone bidding against you! :smilewink:   The deck would be worth getting just for the gear pulleys if they're in good shape.

For what it's worth, I did have a 1650 Kohler, and now have an 1855 Onan tractor...I don't miss the 1650 at all, other than it was shinier!

--Eric

• gtcsreg said thank you

#8 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 06:31 PM

Wow, sorry I'm seeing this late, but it looks like they've about answered your questions.  The front blade would be interchangeable with only slight work.  If the blade is made right, it will connect to the hitch on the rear of the tractor...since the 1855 is ~ 6 inches longer, you'd probably want to adjust accordingly.  The 1855 blades were usually 54" vs the 48" on the 1650s.  Also, the big blade sometimes used a push plate that bolted to the front of the tractor frame as an extra support point.  I can get a picture if you need.

Did you get the 1855 and deck?  It's a good thing I didn't know about the action, because you might've had someone bidding against you! :smilewink:   The deck would be worth getting just for the gear pulleys if they're in good shape.

For what it's worth, I did have a 1650 Kohler, and now have an 1855 Onan tractor...I don't miss the 1650 at all, other than it was shinier!

--Eric

Thanks for the info.  It was a 54" blade but the underbelly channel iron was bent.  It was useable but the strength had been compromised.  As far as the 1855.  I knew at least four guys who were there that wouldn't have let it go for what I had available to pay.  I left before the bidding started to go enjoy the Tractor show the 1650 was already at.  I'm not sure what everything brought.  The guys I know will let me know when I see them.  I completed a recent project of a rear crown grader for my drive.  I'll post a couple of pictures.  It worked much better than I anticipated so I really don't need the blade.

Attached Thumbnails

• Crown grader 007.jpg
  • Crown grader 008.jpg

• twostep said thank you

#9 Avalontractor OFFLINE  

Avalontractor
  • Member No: 47743
  • 24 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 08:49 PM

Hi Coldone. We bought a 77 MF1655 recently and I'm struggling to find information and parts. I thought the only difference in a 1650 and 1655 was that the 55 had the Onan twin instead of a single cylinder. Also thought the 1855 and 1655 were identical except for the horsepower; 18 vs 16.

Perhaps I am incorrect. Could you please comment on the differences between a 1650 and 1655.

I'm pleased with our machine so far. There are many deficiencies; rear PTO is missing the shaft and other parts, rear fenders were removed at some point, none of the lights (at least the ones still intact), work. The muffler isn't the best.....there was an issue with oil leaking from the front of the engine and blowing back over everything and it looked bad. However, I realized that the leak was actually coming from the end of the filler tube where it joined the block. Soon fixed that with some JB Weld and once I steam clean everything it'll all be good. The engine seems strong and the trans pulls without any issues. Of course the paintwork and remaining body panels need attention. We will use the tractor mostly for work in our Veg. garden. It came with a dandy bottom plow and double 16 disk harrow, both in new condition even though I'm sure each is thirty years old or more. The big(shaft driven), mower deck works fine but our lawn is rather lumpy and at 54" the swath of the deck is probably too large. Instead, if the rig lasts, we'll seek out a reel mower gang for grass work.

Can you tell me what I can use to replace the transmission fluid and filter. The manual I found online specifies a MF branded oil that surely has not been available for years. The guy we got the machine from had it for 15 years and told me he'd never once changed the Trans. oil or filter.

By the looks of the engine oil I doubt he changed that either in the last decade. I put on a new filter and purchased a gallon of low budget oil and changed it twice in one day. Then I put on a second new filter and filled with a high quality lube. The engine starts and runs very well. Just gathered together some new electrical wire and connectors and aim to rebuild the wiring harness, it's a mess right now. Also sourced a Hobbs hour meter that is a real vintage unit for sure. Managed to get it open and figured out how to re-set the digits to zero. Now our little work horse will get attention as required by a clock.

#10 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted October 11, 2013 - 03:01 AM

You're right about the difference between the 1655/1855, horsepower and decals only. Besides the differences previously mentioned in Post #4, the 55 series uses a Sundstrand Series 15 hydro. Most of the 50 series tractors use an Eaton hydro. I understamd that a handful of the early 50 series also got Sundstrands.

The hydro filter is Wix #51410, and the preferred fluid on The Rock will be Dexron or Type F ATF. I've used Dexron in my 1655 since 1982. MF actually does suggest Type A ATF (Dexron) as an alternative in my manual. Sundstrand is considerably more lenient, stating that most high quality hydraulic fluids are acceptable. Look for fluids with the Allison C-3 or -4 spec.

Outfitted correctly, the 1655/1855 tractors are very hard workers.

Edited by TUDOR, October 11, 2013 - 03:03 AM.

• twostep, Avalontractor, alley oop and 1 other said thanks