Your First Real Job.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,047 Thanks
  • 4,977 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 08:51 AM

What was your first real job?  I'm not talking about being a paper boy, or flipping burgers at mcdonalds.  I mean your first real adult job. 

I went to college for Networking back in 2001-2002.  I have all 3 levels of the Cisco Certifications.  Associate, Professional and Expert.  I completed these during my 2 years of "community college".  Upon graduation I went job searching to realize the the program is basically a lie, and that there aren't jobs all over the place for network admins in my area, and the ones that are out there pay crap.  But I went to school for 2 years, and I did the work, so i figured I'd try it.  Jobs were all over in the biggest cities near my, Columbus(2 hour drive), Pittsburgh(1.5 hours) and Akron/Canton(1.5 hours).  I didn't want to move away from my family.

I ended up taking a job at a hospitial as a network admin, and lasted 6 months before I got fired.  The job was supposed to be maintaining the network, it turned into being the person they call when their computer doesn't work right or they needed to fix to know how to fix their excel sheet to add up some numbers.  It quickly became apparent why the job had 5 different people in it in the last 36 months.

I was working afternoon shift, and recieved a call from a doctor who said his laptop was broken it wouldn't turn on.  His office was clean across the complex, at least a 15 minute walk, and several elevator rides from where I was.  So I asked him nicely if he had his charger hooked up?  He said no.  Then I asked if the battery was dead, please try to hook up your charger.  His response "Do you think I am in fing moron?  I just did open heart surgery I think I know if my laptop was dead"  So I walked across the hospitial.  Went in his office, plugged in the laptop and it powered right up.  I looked at him and said "I guess you are an fing moron and remind me to tell anyone I care about to never have you operate on them"  I stormed out, stopped at the lunch room at my dinner, and by the time I got back my boss was sitting at my desk and fired me on the spot.  Apparently this doctor was one of the elite within the hospitial chain of command.  It was one of the happiest moments of my life. 

A little side side note, my Dad had a pacemaker put in 3 years ago.  I went to the meeting for the Doctor that he was referred to, and the Dr. comes in, sits down, and I looked at my Dad and tell him "This guy is a moron, he couldn't figure out how to turn his laptop on because the battery was dead, and he didn't plug it in, I'd rather he didn't operate on you"  My Dad looks at me and says "Better not, even I know how to turn a computer on"  and we walked out.  The look on the guys face was priceless. 

Next Doctor we seen was a great surgeon, and a great human being.  I am glad that my Dad recieved his care instead of the callous SOB the other doctor was.

Edited by toomanytoys84, September 26, 2013 - 08:58 AM.

• MH81, Alc, HDWildBill and 5 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,483 Thanks
  • 7,354 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 09:05 AM

Great story and one of those funny turns that life takes. You may have saved your dads life.

My BIL was a doctor. He told us of some of the mistakes that other surgeons made. He needed a colonoscopy in his own hospitol. They screwed up, caused an infection that took two years to kill him. While he was alive they demoted and then fired him. When he died and they realized how many donations were made in his name from gratefull patients they named an area of the hospitol after him.

If you don't count my after school and school vacation jobs, my first job was as a Combat Engineer Platoon Leader. At first it was pretty good. Then my CO left and I lost my platoon sergeant. The 1SG quit and it became a lousy job. As with everything, it was a learning experience.Good Luck, Rick
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,224 Thanks
  • 29,691 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 09:17 AM

Milking cows....still at it 40 years later.  Not always happy with it, but nobody is always happy with their chosen career or job.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,646 Thanks
  • 8,523 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 09:26 AM

Welcome to the IT world!  Even though there are specialties like network admin, if you work on anything related to computers you are expected to know everything.  At least that has been what I experienced for 20 years.  And yes your run into morons all the time, folks that shouldn't even look at a computer much less turn one on.

My first job was Uncle Sam after High school.  Back then Viet Nam was going hot and heavy and you either went to college, took a permanent trip to Canada or you raised your right hand for Uncle Sam.  So I joined the Navy, did a little stint off the coast of Nam and then when we returned State side my squadron was decommissioned.  So I ended up going to "A" School for Jet engines and loved working on F4's.  I got out after 4 years and the job market sucked, plus I had gotten married, then she got pregnant so I decided to reup and let Uncle Sam pay for the Baby. It was also pretty good that my FIL was a Navy Captain in the bureau so I got a good set of orders out of the deal.

• boyscout862, oldedeeres, JRJ and 1 other said thanks

#5 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,047 Thanks
  • 4,977 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 09:35 AM

I almost joined up with Uncle Sam after college, but my girlfriend at the time wanted me home, then dumped me 6 months later.  Should of signed up and kicked her to the curb...

Edited by toomanytoys84, September 26, 2013 - 09:36 AM.

• HDWildBill, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 10:52 AM

In 1980 I went to work for the Canadian defense department at the naval base at CFB Halifax doing electronic work. After 3 years I got layed off during a budget cut. Four months later they were trying to hire me back but I had another job with the local Hospital by that time and I've still there after 30 years.

• HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7 pigsitter OFFLINE  

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 04:07 PM

Milking cows....still at it 40 years later.  Not always happy with it, but nobody is always happy with their chosen career or job.

Been at the hvac refrigeration game in one form or another since 86 or 87,and as said there's days I swear a career change is in order but the dust settles and I'm back at it enjoying my work again. I spent 10 years raising pigs along with it til that project went down the tubes,I miss the pigs much more than the ex inlaws I worked for! :rolling:

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,672 Thanks
  • 4,220 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 04:29 PM

Started working part time for the local municipal utilities between 1st and 2nd semester of my senior year.

6 months later I was married and working full time.

I got 4 different certifications in drinking water, and 1 certification in waste water.

I figured this would be my 1 and only job in my life, but local communities have elections every 4 years, and a complete idiot was elected. He didn't (and still doesen't) know the difference between a sanitary sewer and a storm water sewer. Damn luck he knew the difference between the water lines and sewers!

Well I took his ignorance for a year and after 17 years as the Municipal Utilities Super, I quit.....That was 23 years ago!

#9 B10Dave OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 386 Thanks
  • 249 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 06:05 PM

Pumping gas right out of high school til I started apprenticeship for auto mechanic. Obtained licence and also went through apprenticeship for heavy equipment mechanic. Did this for 27 years till knees wouldn't take cement floors anymore. Been driving truck for last 16 years and got my right knee replaced last Monday...Dave

Edited by B10Dave, September 26, 2013 - 06:05 PM.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#10 Arti OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11282
  • 1,266 Thanks
  • 955 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 06:19 PM

Got a job on a farm at the ripe age of 14, At 16 went to work as a Carpenter so that was more than likely my first real job.
Did the Nam thing, Got out of the Army and went into the HVAC business still at it.

• Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 06:23 PM

My first real on the books job was working in a Owens Corning Fiberglass plant starting in 1978.
I worked there for 12 years or so. I did darn near every job I could over those years, mainly because the more jobs you were trained on, the more OT you could get. And I worked all the OT I could get. It wasn't uncommon to have 80 or more hours in a week. The plant ran 24/7
It was union (Glass bottle blowers association) I made real good $$ over the years. Anything over 8 was time & a half, anything over 12 straight was double time. Many times they had to make me go home and sleep for 4 hours. Cause once I reached double time, I didn't want to leave. Many many 32-36 hours in a row days.

I quit the job after they went to a 5/24 week. And allowed absolutely no overtime for anyone. The place closed a few years after I left.
It was one of those small town factory's where many from the town worked. My father & uncle both worked there for many years. The truly sad part was, most of the old timers died because of the asbestos used in the product before my time. My dad was one who died from it as well as many other guys I grew up knowing as a kid. Most did not even make retirement age.
My dad passed away while I was still working there, another deciding factor on my quitting.
Best thing I ever did IMO.
  • Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#12 coldone OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 07:04 PM

College wasnt an option so Uncle Sam said they would teach me how to fix medical equipment, so I signed up. They trained me and when I got out the job market in my area had changed. You needed a degree to even get an interview. So off to school I went. 2 years at the community college (cake walk after the Army) and degree in hand I tried getting a job in my field. Job market was flooded and the industry was changing too. I found a job with a small start up company (employee number 101). It wasnt exactly what I was trained for. The company was called embrex and they had a proprietary machine that would vaccinate chickens while they were still inside the egg. It was not a glamorous job but it took me alot of places, my territory was the entire south to begin with then it changed to NC and Toronto area, British Columbia, and Washington state. Alot of travel and the company ethos was changing, no more drinking with the customers and you need to wear a tie more, so I left after 5 years. Got back into medical and have been at it ever since.

#13 Cat385B ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,323 Thanks
  • 8,677 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 09:57 PM

My high school trig teacher warned me if I didn't stop screwing around, I would end up digging ditches for a living. So..........

I dug a pretty good sized hole today. Bigger than yesterday's, at least.
  • KennyP, oldedeeres and TractorGuy1994 have said thanks

#14 oldedeeres ONLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,534 Thanks
  • 3,073 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 10:15 PM

I started farming full time at 13, (I'm 76 now). Dug graves for money with pick and shovel, summer and winter for two years along with the farming when I was 17-19, and have farmed ever since. Other than that we have always made a living on the farm and have never held another off farm job. Can't say it's always paid good, but it's always paid some, and I wouldn't have any other life.

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,668 Thanks
  • 28,318 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 10:18 PM

I worked a few small jobs after HS and before College. Worked at the local orchard for a year as a crew chief... That and 50 cents would get you a cup of coffee. Tried college and decided that teaching HS music wasnt my true calling.

Got hired as a counter person at a local electronics store. Also a full time DJ and advertising consultant for an area radio station.
Single, two jobs, no goals... Remember some of it.

Quit the radio station and went back to school. Met my best friend, worked for the college as a computer lab tech (8088 series IBM units)
Married, kids, refound myself, eventually matured a little.

25 yrs later I am still employed by the same local store, but now we sell much more than electronics.

But my first Real job started about two years ago when I was asked if I would help moderate this little upstart forum... Maybe you've heard of it? GTTalk. :D
  • Alc, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks