#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 08:14 AM

Was hired to help build a small building on the side of a big building. Right now we've been working on water and sewer lines, we used our Kubota L2000 with backhoe to dig the trench, there is nothing better then getting paid to run a machine :smilewink:

Got the water line and sewer line laid last night, going to fill in the trench and then start poring the cement for the floor and foundation today.

I was surprised on how well our backhoe was digging, there area we where digging in was really rocky and there where a lot of tree roots. Also part I dug where in the drive way which was 5" of gravel that was really hard packed (farm machinery drive way)

Here are a few pictures I took

Attached Thumbnails

• Trench 009.JPG
  • Trench 010.JPG

• JRJ and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#2 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 08:20 AM

I spy you VW in the background with the trunk lid up, or should I say "hood"?

Does the hood become the trunk and the trunk become the hood when its a rear engine car?

I love when I get a chance to run the equipment at work.  We have a 65,000lb Taylor forklift, 980C, 988B, Case skid steer, and a 11,000lb lift JCB load all with a 24' extendable boom. 

It is fun!  But big equipment, lots of moving people, and deliveries through the area takes some of the fun out because you have to constantly be on your guard and watch because people fail to realize that you are in a huge forklift and you can't see everything.

Edited by toomanytoys84, September 26, 2013 - 08:22 AM.

• boyscout862 and BTS have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 09:12 AM

The union operating engineers in my area get $35 per hour plus benefits to run the big excavators like CAT365s. On a busy project with lots of overtime they make $100,000+ per year. I was the engineer on the jobs and they made more money and got much better benefits than me. Good Luck, Rick

• BTS and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#4 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 06:53 AM

Nice looking rig and :thumbs: on the getting paid to play :D
  • BTS said thank you

#5 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 08:29 AM

Got the trench filled in yesterday, going to start laying cement on Monday unless it rains.

WOW I wish I got $100,000 a year! normally I charge around $60 per hour with a one hour minimum, since it's my machine I always charge a fair amount because the backhoe puts a lot of wear on the tractor.

Luckily this area isn't "high traffic" I hate running machinery in crowded areas, people never pay attention.

Technically the "engine cover" is called a Deck Lid and I call the "hood" a trunk, it gets complicated, I always call them the wrong things.

Thanks

• boyscout862 said thank you