35 replies to this topic

#1 Clint ONLINE  

Clint

• Member No: 8265
  • 412 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 06:46 AM

Hi guys,

I met a wonderful family that lost a man who seemed like a great individual. I picked up four more Panzers today! They are in pretty good shape and seem to be mostly complete models. They have been stored in a shed at the top of a Missouri hill for about 40 years. The gentleman passed away at the beginning of the year from cancer and his wife said she was attempting to alleviate some of his, "Clutter." She had an extremely thick accent and at times I had a difficult time understanding her. Her daughter and son-in-law made way in the shed prior to my arrival and rounded up everything so it was smooth sailing when I got there. I corresponded with the daughter for a few weeks until we were able to find a day we could meet. The gentleman collected many things and tinkered a lot, but his passion was Panzers. I was told he collected many Panzer parts over the decades. He bought Panzer items whenever he could find them. He never got any restored like he planned due to his sickness. We got to the shed and there was another garden tractor sitting outside with a small tarp over it. It looked to be an older Allis Chalmers. It kind of caught my eye, but I was on a mission. PANZERS!

She opened the doors and we pushed the Panzers from their 40 year home. We lined them up in front of the shed I asked them if they wanted to snap a few pictures because they'd never be able to take a photo of today again. A few pictures were taken and then we loaded the tractors onto the trailer. We lugged parts out of the shed for about an hour. We stacked them on the truck. There was a snow/push blade, five mower decks, deck belts guards, a bucket of miscellaneous lawn mower blades and most of the pieces from the disassembled Panzers. The hoods and fenders were scattered throughout the shed. There was a straight axle thrown in, but I'm not sure what it went to. Every time I walked by the front door, the AC caught my eye. It was a VERY CLEAN machine. There did not appear to be any rust anywhere that I could see. Curiosity got the best of me and I asked about the plans for the old AC. She said she was wanting it gone because she just did not have a use for it. She then proceeded to tell me she looked for the model and serial number on the engine so she could list it for sale and that's when she noticed the numbers were scratched off. She believed the old AC may be, "Hot." Try not to laugh when a 67 year old lady tells you she thinks her husband bought a stolen lawn mower twenty something years ago and she thinks they are going to haul her off for having it on her property. She said, "Whatever you offer, I will take. I want it gone!" We agreed upon $50.00! Her son-in-law told me as we loaded it she probably would have given it to me. Darn it! Lol.

We finally loaded up all of the stuff and I was about ready to go. She asked if I could help take a small platform lift from the shed, to her garage a few miles away since I had a trailer and a bit of room left. I said sure. She said, "Good." The rest of your Panzer stuff is in the garage. Caught off-guard, I asked her what she meant. She said, her husband had four extra engines, parts ordered from Dandy Sales, a 90 degree gearbox, starter generators and a few other things that they felt the shed was not a good place to store them. I was stoked! We loaded up the lift and headed to her house.

We got there and took the lift off of the trailer. We loaded more stuff onto the truck. The bed was now almost LEVEL with miscellaneous Panzer parts. I am not even kidding. Gas tanks , engines, hoods, decks, the push blade, fenders, boxes full of parts. Man it was like Christmas. We finished loading the parts and then she handed me some literature. I had copies of most of it already, but man, this guy sure had a gold mine.

We spoke for a bit and then found out we had the same insurance agent. I shared the story that he is the source of MY FIRST PANZER! Small world. Here's the story...

Before I was born, my dad bought a Panzer from the owner of a locally family owned parts store, which is still in business. Mom and dad had my older sister, then me. Not long after I was born, they had their insurance agent over and took life insurance policies out on us. Dad had his Panzer sitting outside. The agent, Roy, went to school with my grandma in grade in school. He has been a State Farm agent for over 55 years! Anyway, he told my dad he had an old Panzer sitting at the house that he didn't use anymore because he bought a newer mower with a bigger deck and electric start. Roy said he would give dad the Panzer to give to me when I got older. Well, that's how my story began. I got a Panzer when I was just a few months old and it has really ballooned from there. These four make 25 Panzers! They are all over the board condition wise, but I like them anyway.

Well, here are some pictures of my newest score. Please comment and share your thoughts. This is why we do it! BTW. check out the AC too!

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 (1).JPG
  • 1 (2).JPG
  • 1 (3).JPG
  • 1 (4).JPG
  • 1 (5).JPG
  • 1 (1).JPG
  • 1 (6).JPG
  • 1 (7).JPG
  • 1 (8).JPG
  • 1 (9).JPG
  • 1 (10).JPG
  • 1 (11).JPG
  • 1 (12).JPG
  • 1 (13).JPG
  • 1 (14).JPG
  • 1 (15).JPG
  • 1 (16).JPG
  • 1 (17).JPG
  • 1 (18).JPG
  • 1 (19).JPG
  • 1 (21).JPG
  • 1 (24).JPG
  • 1 (26).JPG
  • 1 (28).JPG
  • 1 (29).JPG
  • 1 (30).JPG
  • 1 (31).JPG
  • 1 (32).JPG
  • 1 (33).JPG
  • 1 (34).JPG
  • 1 (35).JPG
  • 1 (36).JPG
  • 1 (37).JPG
  • 1 (38).JPG
  • 1 (39).JPG
  • 1 (40).JPG
  • 1 (1).jpg
  • 1 (2).jpg
  • 1 (7).jpg
  • 1 (8).jpg
  • 1 (9).jpg
  • 1 (10).jpg
  • 1 (11).jpg
  • 1 (3).jpg
  • 1 (5).jpg
  • 1 (6).jpg

Edited by Clint, September 26, 2013 - 04:11 PM.

• Gtractor, Alc, sacsr and 11 others have said thanks

#2 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 07:05 AM

WOW!...  How Sweeet Is That?!!!? Could this make you chief of the Panzer tribe? :worshippy1:  That is a great story and quite a haul! I'm going back to drooling... :thumbs:  :rocker2:

(...Don't forget to include this Lady on your holiday card list )

#3 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 07:06 AM

Wow what a great find! Congrats!
  • Clint said thank you

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,366 Thanks
  • 39,643 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 07:14 AM

Good score on all that! Way to go!

• Clint said thank you

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 07:45 AM

Story of the year...what a find. It's a good thing you had enough room on your trailer. We all like a great find but when you have a story behind it, it makes it special. Not only did this make you happy, they cleared out some "clutter" & the ole timer's efforts & dreams continue. Thanks for sharing....so good I had to read it again.

• Clint and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#6 panzersarebest OFFLINE  

panzersarebest
  • Member No: 36584
  • 523 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 09:10 AM

Great score!!!

• Clint said thank you

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,519 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 09:38 AM

Great work! The B10 is a great tractor too. Did you ever tell the agent what his gift led to? Good Luck, Rick

• Clint said thank you

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 10:39 AM

Wow! is all I can say. Congratulations on your new Panzer purchase. I would also like to thank you for rescuing these tractor and parts. They could easily have ended up at a scrap yard. The Panzer is one of my favourites but I'll never see one up here in Atlantic Canada. It's great to see these ones going to a good home!

• Clint and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#9 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 10:44 AM

Great story, nice load of tractors and parts, Glad they are going to a good home and not the scrap yard  :thumbs:  

• Clint said thank you

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,594 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 03:04 PM

I thought this forum had a Two Panzer limit in the rule book? Let me take one of those before you get in real trouble.

• Clint said thank you

#11 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 04:06 PM

Like everyone else has said.  WOW       Rick

• Clint said thank you

#12 Clint ONLINE  

Clint

• Member No: 8265
  • 412 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 04:09 PM

I thought this forum had a Two Panzer limit in the rule book? Let me take one of those before you get in real trouble.

TWO PANZER LIMIT? I'm out! See ya. Lol.

#13 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,779 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 04:47 PM

Wow...Looks like you found the "Mother Load"

• Clint said thank you

#14 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 05:47 PM

Nice and Lucky find!!  NOW......just gotta paint some a different color than Moldy Green they used. Make a Gold or Burnt Orange one! Black?  MM Yellow with red accents??

#15 undertaker OFFLINE  

undertaker
  • Member No: 11394
  • 67 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 10:56 AM

Your killing me Clint...what does your panzer collection total now? Nice find.