• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 04:42 AM

I planted these beans so late I don't know if they will reach maturity. They are ready to pick right now. How long after picking stage until they are mature enough for seed? If it's too late to make seed, I need to get pickin'.

Attached Thumbnails

• ZXA.jpg

Edited by freedhardwoods, September 26, 2013 - 05:00 AM.

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 05:22 AM

I've saved bean seeds , not sure if it was the best way lol anyway ,,  didn't pick  the beans the got too big to eat on the plants ,,,left them  till  they dried on the plants then picked and put in plastic bags .

#3 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 06:15 AM

,,,left them  till  they dried on the plants.,,,, .

How long after picking stage until they dried?

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 11:06 AM

At this point in the season you could leave them till the frost kills the vines thy would dry down quick after that.
then shell the beans out of the pods. When i was a kid and the folks had limited freezer space we would pull bean and pea vines let them dry and store the dried beans and peas.
Using them for seed may or may not work well. If they are Hybiirds they new plants may revert back to one of the parent plants.
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#5 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 01:52 PM

DONT PICK them if you want to keep them as seeds.

#6 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 03:25 PM

Thanks for the replies so far, but either I'm not phrasing the question right or I'm just not seeing the answer I need.

They are not hybrid - http://gardentractor...tly-non-hybrid/

I planted them to harvest as seed. They are just now ready for the first picking if we were going to eat them. There are many blooms and tiny beans still on the plants.

The first frost is hopefully 3 weeks away and that is what will kill them. If they won't mature enough by then to be able to germinate, I don't want to waste my time harvesting seed that won't grow and would rather pick them now so they won't completely go to waste.

Will they mature to viable seed in 3 weeks?

#7 Racerxxx OFFLINE  

Racerxxx
  • Member No: 22706
  • 57 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 04:22 PM

In the past we just picked the beans when they were ready to harvest and shell and set some aside to grow next year. Havent ever done anything other than that and we have always had good beans.

#8 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 08:54 PM

It doesn't take many pods to make enough seed for next year.  Pick most of them, let a few mature and dry.

I have a few plants pulled and hanging on the fence to dry.  If they are in contact with the ground, they will rot or sprout in the pod.

• Alc said thank you

#9 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 05:20 PM

I sometimes have trouble phrasing a question right so I had my wife read this thread to be sure I asked it right and wasn't missing anything.

I know how to save seed when there is plenty of time, I just don't remember how long it took them to mature. I haven't seen a time frame in anyone's reply. I'm guessing at least 2 weeks, and I don't think I'll have that much time.

When I got home this week, I looked at them again. There isn't near as many ready as I thought and we already had one morning of patchy frost, so I decided to just order seed and pick all of these in a week or two when more get ready. I don't want to gamble on frost killed beans that are at all different stages of maturity.

Thanks for all the replies.

Edited by freedhardwoods, September 29, 2013 - 05:21 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#10 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 07:10 PM

most of the beans take about 60-90 days to mature from the time they are planted.........so if you know when you planted them, count the days from the until now.

• freedhardwoods said thank you

#11 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 04:06 AM

most of the beans take about 60-90 days to mature from the time they are planted.........so if you know when you planted them, count the days from the until now.

I don't remember exactly when. I did read that maturity time is based on growing degree days. I think think the cool weather changed the time frame more than I expected.

• Alc said thank you

#12 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 10:50 AM

I have planted Jade green beans for several years. They have always done very well. This year, the first planting put on one picking of beans and just quit. The second planting is doing better, but not nearly as well as in the past.

I don't remember what I planted before Jade.

The beans I was going to save for seed are producing very well. From the first picking we already have 36 quarts with at least 7 more to go.

The Blue Lake is the 3 rows closest to the road. The first 2 have grown together so much it looks like 1 huge row.

ZXA.jpg

Edited by freedhardwoods, October 05, 2013 - 08:20 PM.

#13 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,539 Thanks
  • 3,926 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 06:37 PM

That is a lot of beans!  The patch looks good. Ours didn't do so good this year.