Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

Cab Plans For Jd420

jd420 cab cabn plans

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,037 Thanks
  • 1,291 posts

Posted September 25, 2013 - 10:47 PM

Well, sometime between 8:30 this morning and 1:00 this afternoon fall decided to come--with a little snow thrown in. 

I vowed I wouldn't spend another winter shoveling snow out of my drive way after the city plows put a 2 foot berm there. I planned to use my JD420, but the loader will only pick up 300 lbs, plus I found it takes 3 arms and hands to steer, operate the bucket controls, and the hydro lever.

I recently picked up a (very overpriced) Bolens HT23 with a Brantly loader, HT23 LH.jpg so the loader will come off my JD420, and I will hook up my snowblower to it.  I've been wanting to put a cab on it, and even found 2 or 3 online at a decent price, but an indecent distance away.

IMG_20130623_212142_933.jpg

I've looked for plans for a cab that would fit the 'Deere, and come up empty handed.  Does anyone know where I can find plans for a cab, or is there a build thread for a cab that either fits, or can be easily modified?

Thanks,

Smitty

#2 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 1,833 Thanks
  • 3,123 posts

Posted September 25, 2013 - 11:36 PM

Have you tried looking for a universal cab? That's what I'm using. It's a rag cab with a fiberglass top and it keeps me warm and dry.

Nice looking Bolens. Never heard of the Brantly loader.

Edited by Cvans, September 25, 2013 - 11:37 PM.

• Alc and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#3 JDBrian ONLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 6,830 Thanks
  • 12,085 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 05:52 AM

300lbs is still a lot of snow. It's not nearly as dense as dirt. That 300lbs is probably a full height lift and for 3 ft or so lift it would be more.  A blower is a much better tool to deal with large snowfalls then a loader. 

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 13,304 Thanks
  • 20,530 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 06:23 AM

Have you tried looking for a universal cab? That's what I'm using. It's a rag cab with a fiberglass top and it keeps me warm and dry.

Chris, do you have a link to the one you bought?

#5 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,037 Thanks
  • 1,291 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 10:20 AM

I want a cab for the JD420 which will have a snowblower on it. The Bolens will be used to remove the berm left by city snowplows and blocking my driveway. By the time I get home at night it's dark, the berm is frozen, and the blower won't move it...I also help out a half dozen or so neighbors who are in the same predicament.

#6 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,037 Thanks
  • 1,291 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 10:24 AM

Thanks. The Brantly is (was) made in the Midwest--Iowa I think. It's pretty stout, has a mount that goes clear back to the rear axle. 500 # capacity.. The Bolens has manual steering, so I'm planning to install power steering on it...

Smitty

#7 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 1,833 Thanks
  • 3,123 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 11:08 AM

Chris, do you have a link to the one you bought?

Bought it used but I might have the manual around here somewhere. I'll see what I can dig up. 

Thought I had a photo but it doesn't show the cab. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jd420, cab, cabn plans