• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 blacksmith1 OFFLINE  

blacksmith1
  • Member No: 42387
  • 12 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted September 25, 2013 - 06:47 PM

I picked up a Kubota and besides the deck needing some TLC ( more Swiss than cheese ) the steering is sloppy. From the underside I can see the large gear moving long before the linkage moves.

Before I take it out of service and tear it apart, should I order all the parts and plan on a full rebuild or is there just an adjustment?
  • chieffan said thank you

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted September 25, 2013 - 08:23 PM

You are going to need a bushing kit for it. As the bushing wears the two gears can move farther apart creating the slop. On one of mine the gears were worn also so I use a 3/32" zip wheel and cut the plate in two between the gears and welded them back together. This moved the gears closer to each other and took all the slop out of the steering. If you get them too close together they will be tight at each end of the big gear. When you have yours out you will see what to do. I think there is only 4 bolts holding the gear plate in the tractor. Pretty simple to take it apart and the repairs make a big difference. The tractors are worth the effort. 

Good luck with your project.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#3 blacksmith1 OFFLINE  

blacksmith1
  • 12 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 07:44 AM

Chris

Thanks, is that the bushings on the steering wheel shaft or in the fan gear?

#4 efharg OFFLINE  

efharg
  • Member No: 46932
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 11:45 AM

Chris

Thanks, is that the bushings on the steering wheel shaft or in the fan gear?

There are 3 bushings as I remember. 2 in the large gear, and 1 in the plate that the steering shaft goes into.

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 11:01 PM

Seems like I only had to replace the one but can't for the life of me remember which one. I think it was at the base of the steering wheel shaft. I do remember that it was obvious when taken apart.  

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#6 efharg OFFLINE  

efharg
  • Member No: 46932
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 07:28 AM

According to the parts diagram I have, it shows 3 bushings in the steering gear.

2 (part # 66021-41120) bushings in the large gear

1 (part # 66021-41130) bushing in the plate that the steering shaft goes into.

#7 blacksmith1 OFFLINE  

blacksmith1
  • 12 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 06:48 PM

I was tied up for a while and couldn't update.

I took the gear pad off the bottom of the steering column and shimmed the bearing - there was a lot of wobble. This bearing never makes a full revolution, had little pressure and turns at a snails pace. Cocacola furnished the shim.

After careful examination I realized this gear set will never be "tight". The mesh of the fan-to-star/pinion gear is perfect for dealing with the non-stop contamination from debris but its not going to ever be slack free. The entire steering mechanism has built in slack, the tie rods have give and the front axle floats. I stopped obsessing.

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 10:36 PM

I actually took that plate and with a cut-quick and a 3/32" blade, cut it in half between the two gears and welded it back together. That took the slack out of it. Was a little snug on the ends but after a short time worked fine and still is. On another one the gear spacing was just fine when I put new gears in it. They must have changed something. 

#9 mrmr56 OFFLINE  

mrmr56
  • Member No: 62092
  • 202 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted October 12, 2015 - 02:35 PM

Kubota also makes a retrofit kit for the steering for all the earlier G series that replaces the shaft, lower plate with a ball bearing instead of a bushing, the large sector gear, and a few other pieces. This is supposed to make a huge difference in the steering.

• Cvans said thank you