• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jagman OFFLINE  

Jagman
  • Member No: 40532
  • 25 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted September 25, 2013 - 03:24 PM

OK, this subject has probably been on before but after reading the engine service manual, I'm still not quite not sure if I'm doing it correctly. Granted, I've done this before and the mower runs but I'm just double checking because I'm having other running (or not) problems that may be related. I'm installing new points. The manual says turn the engine until the S line on the flywheel is in the middle of the view hole where the points should just begin to open, and continue turning until the points are completely open, then adjust the gap to 0.20". Should they be in the 'just' closed position at the S line? Can I use a timing light to determine when the points just begin to open, and if so, where should the two leads of my light be connected?
  • JRJ said thank you

#2 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted September 25, 2013 - 04:53 PM

Usually setting the points to .020 at TDC on the compression stroke is enough. I have never used a timing light on any of the Kohler K series I have.

#3 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted September 25, 2013 - 07:24 PM

Yep...me too...I set the points at 019 , but 001 isnt going to make a difference

#4 Jagman OFFLINE  

Jagman
  • 25 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 08:32 AM

Thanks. What is the easiest way to tell if the timing marks on the crank are on the compression stroke?

#5 mopargoob OFFLINE  

mopargoob
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 14544
  • 56 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 09:35 AM

yes,  pull the spark plug, put your finger on the hole and turn the engine over slowly in its normal direction and when the pressure builds under your finger you are on the compression stroke.  then slowly keep turning until you see the timing marks.

This works for any 4 cyle engine with timing marks...... cars, trucks, etc......

• Jagman said thank you

#6 Jagman OFFLINE  

Jagman
  • 25 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 01:39 PM

Thank you, that's a big help. Now maybe I can get this baby timed and running.