Garden Tractor Forums banner

I Got Another Tractor

3K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  EricFromPa 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I picked this one up just before the sun went down.I hate to do it but it will be a Donor for it's parts.I'm putting the Dash tower,hood,rear fenders,tool box and the engine in my 1254.

Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tread Tractor

Yes that is a G11 hood on a 1254.The G11 is sadly in to rough of condition to restore.The front axle carrier is busted,pto assembly is frozen solid,steering column is frozen solid and the steering wheel is busted.The steering wheel on these are really cheaply made.They have a steel Hub in the center and the wheel is molded fast to that.Doesn't have a steel skeleton under the plastic or bake-a-lite like the older ones have.

1 Pic till tomorrow when I have a bit more light.

The hood and rear fenders are made of a bit thinner material.Alot thinner than the original hood and rear fenders on the 1254.But they are in Alot better condition overall.No rusted through holes or pitting.

The tractor when I'm done will basically be a G11 with a 1254 frame,rear and dual belt PTO and drive set up.

It should make a decent tractor when I get it cleaned up and put together.

This is the Only G11 that I've seen with Dealer equipped? Headlights and Headlight switch.It has what looks like all factory wiring.I'll rewire it because most of the wires are dry rotted and cracked but at-least it's all there.

I'll get some more pics of it before I take it apart.

I just Had to try and save her.Costed me more than I wanted to spend,considering where it came from (Ethan) and the condition of the tractor.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
That grille sure looks good. I can understand that it's too far gone to restore/refurb. Hope you can get enough parts for the 1254,

Reactions: EricFromPa
#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
OldBuzzard your welcome to the Tranny for in your G11 if you want it.Next time the HMS Rainmaker comes this way make sure to stop in and get it.It will need axle seals on both sides but it SHOULD be a good usable tranny.

Here's a few more pics.

Poor old girl.

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Grass Audio equipment Gas Machine

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Gas Grass

OUCH!

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Serial and model # tag And a cool little Dealer decal.Is it #813 off the production line?I have no idea how to read a Serial #.

Ruler Office ruler Font Gas Auto part
Rectangle Font Material property Gas Nameplate

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

#6 ·
The front alxe carrier is cracked almost the whole way through and all 4 bolts are snapped off flush.I think Someone hit something HARD and at full speed with a plow on the front.

It had a set of home made concrete wheel weights on it and a good set of 2 link tire chains on it.I took them off and put them in the shed.

#7 ·
One thing to consider is that except for the engine, and PTO the G11 is identical to the G10.

It shouldn't really be all that hard to find a G10 donor tractor or two and restore it as a G11.

The G11 is rare enough to make that worthwhile.

#8 ·
OB I would do that but the PTO is gone.I got the engine,dash tower and rear fenders off of it today.Someone cut the end of the PTO rod off where the Pulley should be or it broke off.Both front frame rails are flattened on the ends and the frame is bent upwards just behind the engine.I could fix the frame but the way the front axle carrier is busted up I would bet the frame is cracked.

Both front engine mount studs are pulled out of the mounting bracket.The tractor was either ran into or someone was plowing in 3rd gear and hit something very solid.

The only thing that will be left of my 1254 is the frame,rear and steering column.The rest will be G11.I will be painting the frame and rear Black.

Bolens tractors do not come up for sale that often around here.When they do they go for a pretty penny.The last G10 that was for sale locally they were asking $800 for tractor with a plow and a ratty deck in need of some serious TLC.Everyone around here is either a hoarder or thinks they're old busted stuff is worth they're weight in gold.There's a few Medium frame Bolens,100s of Cub Cadets and a bunch of JDs for sale around here and 1000s of MTD built mowers but that's about all.

Every once and a while an ole tube frame will pop up but they want crazy money for them or they are in horrible non running condition and they still want $300-$450 for them.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Is the PTO brake up top or down below?I think there's a extra little arm on the top part that goes under the engine.

Wheel Automotive tire Wood Water Motor vehicle

Everything on the front end is trashed other than the axle and hood but that was bent up and torn a bit where the hinge is.All that's left of the PTO is the Shaft and it's frozen solid.There's no pulley or clutch on it.

All of the idlers and linkages are frozen including the clutch and PTO.

This tractor came from the Kid that you got the 1250 and sickle mower off of.It's sat with the hood off and the front buried in mud out behind his place for atleast 3 years.

I still have the smell of old gas and oil on my hands from digging it out.

I'm going to take the engine mounts off the engine and weld the tabs back on.I also have to drill and tap the exhaust bolt holes.The 1" threaded exhaust port is stripped out very badly.It's more of a 1 1/2" hole.I found an exhaust flange in the shed that matches the existing flange bolt holes.I just hope there's enough material left to thread.I may have to drill a bit deeper to get a few good strong threads to bolt the flange on with.I will be making a Brace that will be welded to the pipe and bolted to 1 of the head bolts.

Here's an older Pic that Ethan sent me of it.The exhaust port is really nasty looking but I'm pretty sure I can do something with it

Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Grass

Attachments

#13 ·
Its number 713 off the factory line.

Reactions: EricFromPa
#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
OK after a Bit of thinking things through I decided to see how bad the frame was bent.

I stripped the G11 down to the frame and rear and put a straight edge on the frame.It's bent upwards a little over 1/4" on the left frame tube.Not bad so I took it up to the neighbors and heated the tube and got it straightened out.I also got the big flat spots on the front tubes straightened.

It looks pretty good.

I Will be putting the G11 back to original other than 3 things that I will be swapping out off of the 1254.

It will have the 1254 rear,steering column and the PTO.The PTO on the 1254 has a single belt pulley on it anyway.The PTO on the G11 is missing the Brake rod,Clutch/belt guard,pulley and the PTO shaft is seized and badly rusted.The steering column on the G11 is frozen up and the top has about an 3/4" inch of play.The top bushing is gone and the shaft has a very deep groove worn into it.

I need the lockable rear for plowing and tilling.

If the engine in my 1254 was a good runner I would not of even considered buying the G11.He soaked me for $300 + my worn out HH120 engine with the NEW $95 carb on it for the G11.

If someone were to give me $300 for an engine to stick in the 1254 I would let the G11 go.This is the engine that I've been eying up.16hp Honda clone with electric start.$299 free shipping.http://www.ebay.com/itm/DuroMax-16-HP-Go-Kart-Log-Splitter-Gas-Power-Engine-Motor-XP16HPE-Electric-Start-/121175373760?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c369d77c0

If no one wants it then it's going to get put together with what parts I have and it will be used for tilling,plowing and Mowing.I can't afford to buy a 3rd tube frame at the prices they're going for just for the engine,steering column and the front axle carrier.

I bought the G11 in pieces and planned on using it for a parts machine from day 1.It was days away from getting stripped and scrapped.Ethan was going to pull the engine and scrap the rest of it.He took a load of stripped GTs in for scrap last tuesday.If I wouldn't have called him about the G11 it would be gone.I was just happy that I could atleast try to save Most of it.

I really really hate to strip the 1254.I have $400 wrapped up in it and a bunch of parts.PO assured me that the engine was good but I got screwed once again.It ran after I put $95 in parts into it but it knocked and smoked constantly.

I don't get angry at much but this has me pretty hot.I'm almost to the point of junking everything. :mad2:

#16 ·
That's good that the frame was easy to straighten on G11. With the 1254 rear in the tractor it will make a great tilling tractor since it will have high lo belts and a high lo rear end. Too bad I'm not closer to you or I would give you a steering column, I have a few extra columns and just scrapped on a couple months ago too

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
I had the cover off of the G11 tranny today and there's a few gears chewed up a little bit and a good bit of water in it and both axle seals are leaking very badly.But with new seals and fresh gear oil it will be a good tranny.I'm going to keep the tranny and what's left of the 1254 in hopes of putting them both back together to original.My little shed is full of Tiller,2 decks,plow and my saws,tools and the little cultivator.10x10 shed with no shelving and a door that's not big enough to get a GT into But that is soon to be fixed lol.

1 chain saw and 5 minutes later we will have 2 x 2' doors.I need to get hinges yet then I will be able to drive a tractor into my shed.

I could take stuff down to the farm but we're running out of room there to.My truck,3 big farm tractors,sickle mower,bailer,brush hog,3 point wood splitter,my uncles Cub Cadet collection (he has 9 as of now) the big Turfmaster mower and the machining tools (huge welder,2 lathes,milling machine ect ect) take up ALOT of space in 1 30' x 50' and 1 20' x 40' metal sided pole barns.

And I forgot my uncle has my grandpaps old 1960s Ford pick up and Ford 8N with loader and backhoe stored in the corner of the 30x50 barn yet.

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
No Sleep really takes it toll on ya.I went to bed around 12am and just woke up it's 2:00PM.I feel better than I've felt in over a month.I just haven't been able to sleep.Worrying about some family related problems and a bunch of other stuff.

I have a nervous condition,I've had it sense I was a little guy,worrying about stuff combined with my condition makes me severally depressed and tired all of the time but I can't sleep for any more than 2 or 3 hours at a time.

I love tinkering with stuff.It takes the mind off of other stuff and calms the nerves.

I'll get the G11 back together.I named the G11 Margaret.That's my grandmothers 1st name.She's 94 today and I Love her will all of my heart. :happy_birthday:

:big_hug: Big hugs for gram.And a Huge :thank_you: Thank you to you guys putting up with my blabbering. :rolling:

#19 ·
Thank you to you guys putting up with my blabbering. :rolling:
Happy Birthday Grams!! She's in good company, my aunt hit 96 yesterday!

and you just keep blabberin', stop worrying so much and stay healthy, We get payed by knowin you're OK! :wave: :D :thumbs:

#20 ·
:dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

I got it running today.Rewired it and hooked everything up and hooked up a temporary gas tank and hit the key.Didn't start :rolling: .

The engine is a little bit older than I thought.Took the blower housing off and noticed 2 wires going under the flywheel.It's a Points engine.BUT I happened to have a Brand new solid state coil sitting in the shed for a 17hp Intek.I put it on and gaped it to .010 and hit the key again.It fired up Instantly.Runs really good.Let it run for a good hour before the little Lawnboy tank I had hooked up ran dry.

I need to either get 2 flanged style exhaust gaskets or 1 that is pretty thick.I got a pretty big gap between the flange and the block.

I noticed the Bearings on the drive-shaft are pretty much toast.It will start if I push the clutch in but I have to give her about 1/2 throttle and ease the clutch out to get the drive shaft to move without stalling.Once it's spinning you can hear the engine grunt a little but the more you run it the hotter the bearing gets and it spins normally after about 2 minutes.I think both bearings are Dry but you can't hear them over the noise of the exhaust leak.

I'm using the 1254 driveshaft and clutch.The original G11 belt hub on the drive shaft is falling apart.It's to rusted up to use.And the G11 drive shaft bearing is frozen solid.Guess with the front end off of the tractor and being buried in mud for 3+ years took it's toll.

This is a Pic of the G11 sitting partly sunk in the mud.It's sat there for 3+ years in the same spot.

Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel

I can't get the steering wheel off of the 1254 without heating it and ruining the wheel.Was just going to use the shaft and wheel in the G11 column.I'll keep an eye out for a G10 parts machine but to put the G11 back to mostly original is not going to happen till I find a complete driveshaft and steering column with steering wheel.

Anyone have driveshaft bearings for a 1254? The front one is cracked but works and the rear bearing is either Dry or the Brake is hanging up.

I don't know how you would adjust the driveshaft brake.

I Just put 2 new drive belts on it today.That's when I noticed the front bearing has a hairline crack in it.

Attachments

#23 ·
I'm looking for a Whole driveshaft assembly for it now.Figured it would be alot cheaper to get a used driveshaft.

Figured out 1 problem.PO didn't bother to put one of the bearing colors on the front bearing.I found 2 at the hardware store for $2.95 each and stuck them on.Now I got the clutch adjusted correctly.It wouldn't adjust correctly with the 1 front bearing color missing.

Bad news is that the rear bearing is very tight It's whining pretty bad and it' acts as if it may seize up.It turn loose then gets tight.The front bearing race is cracked and pretty choppy sounding.

If anyone happens to have a good driveshaft for a 6 speed gear drive tractor let me know what you want for it.1050 driveshaft is the same thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.