8 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 01:40 PM

Well, I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab with a ton of miles on it.  I think its near 200k.  I haven't really moved the truck in almost a year.  I am tired of 8mpg no matter what I am doing, towing, hauling, driving to walmart, or moving it across the driveway.

It needs.  All ball joints need replaced, alignment, passenger side axle is clicking like a mother, exhaust fixed, 2 rear tires, has some rust on the bed, and needs a good going over.  I just serviced the transmission and the engine oil.

The guy has a for trade

1998 Jeep Cherokee.  Brand new tires, new nice rims, 2.5" sky jacker suspension lift, hitch, new window tint, AC works, runs pretty good, 1 small blister starting on the rocker panel.  Paint is other wise clean.  4.0 liter, auto, with 159,000 miles

Think this is a bad deal?  straight out trade.  Title for title.  Basically my thing is I don't need a full sized truck anymore.  My little 2 wheel peel ranger takes care of all my needs with a truck.  I want a small SUV, that I can drive in the winter and not really worry about hurting it.  If I ditch it, fix it and drive it.  Nothing major.

00s0s_hzrbmBJLnrS_600x450.jpg

Edited by toomanytoys84, September 24, 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 02:23 PM

I'm not a  Chrysler guy, but I would consider it, I've always wanted a Cherokee to go play in the mud with. That one is pretty nice looking. If you can, make sure you check under the rear floor in the back, some of those were bad for rusting out under the carpet back there.

Where are you located? that looks like one that runs up near me. I actually know a guy who has one that looks like that.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#3 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 02:30 PM

Probably not far from you in Zanesville, OH.

Seems like a nice enough guy.  I'll check it over real good if we end up meeting up to look at them.  My truck is worth about 3 grand more than the Jeep, but I don't really care too much about that.

#4 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 03:19 PM

Sounds like a good deal. I have a 99 Grand Cherokee & has been one of the best vehicles I have owned. My son recently bought 2002 Ram 1500 Quad although he loves it like you mentioned mileage is terrible & it's rusting bad around the rear wheel wells.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 03:54 PM

Most of the Jeeps with the 4.0 get around 20mpg in std trim.  You'll lose some with those wider tires.  I'm on my 4th Jeep Cherokee, and hard to think about not owning one.  Mine all got 20 avg MPG, but on the interstate, maybe 24MPG.  They can also pull a good load as well if you have a receiver hitch on it.  Most should have a receiver hitch, as the recall for the danger of fuel tank rupture in a rear end collision was simply installing a receiver hitch to stop that area from crumpling.  My current is a 98 Grand Cherokee.  It just rolled over 200,000 miles and the only thing I've done to it is replace a U-joint on the front right, new spark plug wires, and a new fuel pump.

#6 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,654 Thanks
  • 1,738 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 05:32 PM

My Cherokee is a1998 Cherokee Sport. 4.0, automatic.  I can squeeze 19 mpg but usually get 15-16 mpg. I've got no real complaints about it.  But don't Know that I would buy another one just like it.  Have been hanging on to it to give to my grandson when he's ready.

It has 130,000 miles and has had a good workout at times. It is still going strong and  I expect it to for some time.    Rick 

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 09:33 PM

The 4.0 is pretty much a bullet proof engine with 7 main bearings. I'd do it in a minute. Especially if it was a straight stick. Had one in a 90 Wrangler and it never gave a problem. 

Edited by Cvans, September 25, 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#8 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted September 25, 2013 - 09:13 AM

.  Most should have a receiver hitch, as the recall for the danger of fuel tank rupture in a rear end collision was simply installing a receiver hitch to stop that area from crumpling.  

The Jeep Libertys have a current recall to do just that.

I am soured on the Jeeps I guess, We had a '94 Cherokee, the 4.0 developed a rod knock at 65K

and I am more than disappointed with the quality of our Liberty.....but the wife still wants a Wrangler :wallbanging:

• Cvans and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#9 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted September 25, 2013 - 01:50 PM

The Jeep Libertys have a current recall to do just that.

I am soured on the Jeeps I guess, We had a '94 Cherokee, the 4.0 developed a rod knock at 65K

and I am more than disappointed with the quality of our Liberty.....but the wife still wants a Wrangler :wallbanging:

The liberty series was trash from beginning til the end!  Then they go and build the Nitro on the liberty platform.  Dodge is really stupid as a company.

I would take a brand new wrangler in a second.  4 door, both tops, the new 285HP 6.  Yes please!  40k price tag, no thanks!

Edited by toomanytoys84, September 25, 2013 - 01:50 PM.