• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• Member No: 8191
  • 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 11:07 AM

Got a Ford LT 11 that has a 11hp B&S motor on it an it's about a 78 to 80 ,,,,, It's been settin for a few years but been covered up an I brought the mower home an got er running an doing good,,,,, Ques.that  I have is that when I got the motor started an didn't run it at full speed at first till she warmed up pretty good,,, Where the gov part goes into the motor I seen oil comeing out around it an was wondering if there is a seal that can be put on or if the motor has to be takein apart to fix it,,,,, An yes I did change the oil an filter before I started the motor up,,,, 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 11:37 AM

I think that there is a seal that can be replaced from the outside of the engine. It may be an "O" ring. Check inthe manuals section for the B&S "Repairmans' Manual" and a parts manual. Good Luck, Rick

• Russ said thank you

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,299 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 12:46 PM

I'm pretty sure that all they had for a seal was a Felt washer just behind the governor arm.

Sounds like the Brass governor bushing is worn a bit.

Here's B&S part numbers for the brass bushing.

Bushing, Governor Crank 1/4 in. I.D. BS-491986 (replaces BS-231055)

And B&S Governor shaft if that is worn or rusted also.

Crank, Governor 1/4 in. dia. BS-692012 (replaces BS-231058)

More thank likely the original gasket will rip if you remove the oil sump.I always use #77 Ultra Blue Permatex with Aluminum oxide.It seems to bond very very well to both the Aluminum and to the gasket.A little trick is to Put it on both surfaces and let it set up for a couple minutes.Don't let it cure just let it set 2 or 3 minutes.It will JUST start to cure and will get a tiny bit warm to the touch.This works great if the gasket has any pieces broken out.It won't just all Squish out when you tighten the bolts down.

New oil sump gasket.JUST in case.lol
Gasket, Crankcase Cover 1/64 in. thick  BS-271702S (replaces BS-270808)

Edited by EricFromPa, September 24, 2013 - 12:51 PM.