• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 ENafziger OFFLINE  

ENafziger
  • Member No: 45112
  • 254 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 09:34 AM

Good looking tractors!  I like the '77 personally...those tractors with the FELs are infinitely handy!

--Eric

#17 Avalontractor OFFLINE  

Avalontractor
  • Member No: 47743
  • 24 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 09:17 PM

Wow, I see no reason for an un-balanced driveshaft spinning at 3500 rpm's  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

Seriously what was that guy smoking? i had a local shop make me a new driveshaft, they used GM std yokes, about 3 times the size of the factory ones, just hope they balanced it.

The '78 looks to be in great condition on the outside. I have a '77 also, I read somewhere there was only 500 or so made in '77? don't quote me though.

I never heard back from the guy I knew parting tractors, guess that means he doesn't have them. Sorry

Hey Tahoe,

We have a 77, MF 1655 too. Wow, I was not aware they were quite that rare. Guess this fact would be both good and bad news; depends on why one bought the machine. Some might have ideas of restoration for profit by selling to the 1655 dedicated people. Others, well, might plan to use them for what they were intended for. Count me in with the latter crowd.

Our tractor is in rough shape, no doubt about that. No fenders, lights, half the wiring missing. The brake and speed selector both non-functional and the rear PTO and shaft completely un-included. Yet, the basic tractor functions quite well. She has tons of power and all the hydraulics work, so the mower and front PTO are all good. The exhaust needs some work to reduce noise caused by loose joints but it starts every time. The fact it came with a fine heavy bottom plow and double disk harrow made it a deal we think.

The previous owner didn't spend too much time on maintaining the rig, based on the condition of the oil and filter. Got that corrected right away and am ready to have the underside steam cleaned. Presently looking for the right hydraulic fluid and filter so I can change both. Also have to drag a barn across the yard to house the tractor for the winter. She has not spent a single night inside for at least 20 years. Jezz Mary.

#18 Avalontractor OFFLINE  

Avalontractor
  • Member No: 47743
  • 24 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 09:23 PM

Hey Tahoe,

We have a 77, MF 1655 too. Wow, I was not aware they were quite that rare. Guess this fact would be both good and bad news; depends on why one bought the machine. Some might have ideas of restoration for profit by selling to the 1655 dedicated people. Others, well, might plan to use them for what they were intended for. Count me in with the latter crowd.

Our tractor is in rough shape, no doubt about that. No fenders, lights, half the wiring missing. The brake and speed selector both non-functional and the rear PTO and shaft completely un-included. Yet, the basic tractor functions quite well. She has tons of power and all the hydraulics work, so the mower and front PTO are all good. The exhaust needs some work to reduce noise caused by loose joints but it starts every time. The fact it came with a fine heavy bottom plow and double disk harrow made it a deal we think.

The previous owner didn't spend too much time on maintaining the rig, based on the condition of the oil and filter. Got that corrected right away and am ready to have the underside steam cleaned. Presently looking for the right hydraulic fluid and filter so I can change both. Also have to drag a barn across the yard to house the tractor for the winter. She has not spent a single night inside for at least 20 years. Jezz Mary.