• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 big_willie OFFLINE  

big_willie
  • Member No: 47405
  • 11 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 08:51 PM

i joined this web site today so that makes me a newbe.  I have 2 mf1655's.  A 1977 that I bought new that is need of a refresh restoral.  I also have a 1978 that bought 3 years ago. I went too far to get it and paid too much. But that is another story,  It did not run so I was looking for parts.  this summer a neighbor gave me an Onan  B43mf engine out of Sears SS16 that he repowered.  I took a fuel pump from that motor remounted a new gas tank replaced the gas lines and filter. Then gave it a try with a new battery.  Nothing.  I strarted chaseing the spark. None.  I found a new set of points and a condinser that I had bought for the other tractor.  I bought these years ago. Bam it started right up but was shaking all over like ole Elvis himself.  As I reved it it got worse Former ower had replaced both drive shafts with some home made stuff.  I removed the coupling for the rear PTO and things settled done some.  As I looked closer under the tractor, it seems like there has been a major something with the drive shaft coming loose at speed. 

The brakes are completely removed.  All I have the the rod that goes to the peddle.  So I need the brake parts.  The tractor moves as it is a hydro it stops when I remove my foot from the fwd/revse peddle but I would like brakes. I have a Jensales MF1655 parts manual so I can get a list of part numbers.  Any help would be appreciated.

I plan to fix the 1978 tractor first the restor the 1977 tractor this winter.  I will post some pics next when I learn how.

I am retired so fixing up these old tractors is on my bucket list.  Thanks Big_willie

• MH81, HDWildBill, Dieselcubmike and 2 others have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 09:00 PM

Welcome to GTtalk Big_Willie.  we have an Uncle Willie and now a Big_Willie!  Sounds like you have your hands full with your projects.  

• big_willie said thank you

#3 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 09:21 PM

Hello there and welcome! :wave:

#4 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 11:34 PM

Hello there and welcome! :wave:

Ditto!

#5 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 11:48 PM

Welcome, Big_Willie, I'm sure you'll get lots of help with your project here-- we all like to try and help if we can.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 11:50 PM

:welcome: to GTTalk.
I think a good resource would be the site sponsors. Be a good idea to leave each of the parts guys a message in their forums http://gardentractor...-site-sponsors/

Also, we do have a policy of needing at least ten posts to use the classifieds. Keeps the sell and leave guys from being so prevalent. We like people and enjoy meeting new ones here :D

But, When you get a few posts up, please shoot a list of the parts you need to the sponsors and also in the wanted area of the classifieds, hopefully someone can help.
  • ducky and big_willie have said thanks

#7 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 01:02 AM

Welcome Big_Wille.  Those are 2 find tractors you have there.  I would try our site sponsors as Alan suggested first.  There are parts out there but it is sometimes hard to find them.  This is definently the place to start.

Regards

Ducky

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 05:23 AM

Welcome to GTTalk. The 1655 is worth the effort. There are a lot of folks with experience on the 16/1855 and they have probably dealt with the areas you are talking about. Maybe you could post some pictures of the drive shafts so others can see what was done. I'll second a vote to check with our site sponsors once you have determined the parts you need.

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 06:13 AM

Welcome to the forum! I have a link to pic help in my signature, it's really simple. We have some folks here that can help with those tractors.

#10 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,477 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 08:52 AM

Welcome big_willie!

You hav a couple nice tractors there, get them back in shape and they will last you a life time.

I put a feeler out to a guy who I knew was parting two of these out this past summer. I'll let ya know if he gets back to me.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 09:03 AM

:welcome:

You may have some dirt dauber nests on the flywheel causing some or most of the vibration.  Setting the timing with a strobe light might help also. Set it at  21 degrees BTDC.  Timing marks can be seen through the hole where the breather box connects at the flywheel shrouding.

Got a camera to post some pics of the beast?

#12 big_willie OFFLINE  

big_willie
  • 11 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 25, 2013 - 08:33 PM

I have some pictures that i took today.  I have 2 old of 77 with new pictures of the 78 I will try to upload them.  The carb high speed jet was leaking so I backed out the jet.  No o ring. Bought new o ring from cummis $8.  Stopped the leak.  Can't motor it up too high because of the unbalanced drive shaft.  i Just let run for a while.

Thanks for all the replys.  Big Wiilie

Should I put the pictures here in this thread or else where?  That is a newbe question.

#13 big_willie OFFLINE  

big_willie
  • 11 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 09:12 PM

This is my 77 before it got parked.

775yearsago (800x600).jpg

This is my 78 with the 78 being the current project.78fresh (800x600).jpg

This the 78 drive shaft notice that it has a 1" water pipe welded in.78driveshafts (800x600).jpg

So I hope these pics got posted correctly. Thanks to all Big_Willie

• MH81 said thank you

#14 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,477 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 08:56 AM

Wow, I see no reason for an un-balanced driveshaft spinning at 3500 rpm's  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

Seriously what was that guy smoking? i had a local shop make me a new driveshaft, they used GM std yokes, about 3 times the size of the factory ones, just hope they balanced it.

The '78 looks to be in great condition on the outside. I have a '77 also, I read somewhere there was only 500 or so made in '77? don't quote me though.

I never heard back from the guy I knew parting tractors, guess that means he doesn't have them. Sorry

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 02:05 PM

That shaft is most definitely your vibe issue.  Likely has a lot of run-out, which WILL get things shaking bad!