• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 05:14 AM

Doug, great tractor. Having had the pleasure of plowing with you, that tractor did a great job. It surprised me it didn't spin very much, just kept on digging.

• DH1 said thank you

#17 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 05:32 AM

Congrats Doug. Those are a very nice tractor and a nice addition to your collection.

Doug, great tractor. Having had the pleasure of plowing with you, that tractor did a great job. It surprised me it didn't spin very much, just kept on digging.

It's those big wheels and chains I think that keeps it digging and moving. I think some of the 990's also had a limited slip rear end but I'm not sure about that.

• DH1 and KennyP have said thanks

#18 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 06:07 AM

Those were marketed through Southern States farm stores.

• DH1 and sacsr have said thanks

#19 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 07:02 AM

Very slick machine!  Should serve you well, and has a great story behind it.  It sure comes from great roots.

• DH1 said thank you

#20 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• Member No: 7101
  • 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 07:24 AM

DSCF5337.JPG Try it with the mower deck. Mine cuts great and I use it every week. Plowed with mine in the spring with a brinly 12" plow and it did equally as well. You will never be disappointed with it. BTW, looks great too!!! Pic was from spring with the plow and A-frame adapter.

• DH1 and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#21 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 08:03 AM

Congrats on the new 990.  Welcome to the club. :D

• DH1 said thank you

#22 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 02:35 PM

It is cool to see one of the finest examples of the 990, I have ever seen find a new home where it can work and play like it was meant to.

Congratulations

• DH1 and MH81 have said thanks

#23 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 07:42 PM

Try it with the mower deck. Mine cuts great and I use it every week. Plowed with mine in the spring with a brinly 12" plow and it did equally as well. You will never be disappointed with it. BTW, looks great too!!! Pic was from spring with the plow and A-frame adapter.

I managed to get the mower deck on it, wasn't easy trying to figure out how to attach it and get the lift to work. All the parts were there to get it on and working.

I ran it for about 15 minutes cutting grass and then the gear box on the deck flew apart. I greased everything before I started, looked Ok, it was really noisy running and didn't last long.

From what I know the last time this mower deck was used was 25 to 30 years ago. What can you expect from that length of time sitting idle. Daniel said he never tried it.

I didn't really want the 42"deck, it came with the deal and if it didn't fit in the truck I was going to leave it behind.

The deck I want is the 50" deck, going to post some pictures of it on the tractor before I take it off and then I'll keep it around for parts.

• Texas Deere and Horse and sacsr have said thanks

#24 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 08:24 PM

Hate to hear about the gearbox Doug.   No, never ever even mounted the deck, and just shot paint on it last year in prep to sell the package.  I shot the paint on and installed a new V-belt & covered it up on a pallet.  Even though you almost left it, I don't like that the gearbox failed on you.  That was the main reason I thought you should take the deck, as I figured it would give you a spare gearbox for the 50" when you found one.

• DH1 said thank you

#25 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 08:34 PM

Your tractor was a real beast to plow with, never even slowed down on me, despite my total lack of plow experience! It's a beautiful piece of machinery, and couldn't belong to a nicer guy. I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it.

• DH1 said thank you

#26 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 08:34 PM

Hate to hear about the gearbox Doug.   No, never ever even mounted the deck, and just shot paint on it last year in prep to sell the package.  I shot the paint on and installed a new V-belt & covered it up on a pallet.  Even though you almost left it, I don't like that the gearbox failed on you.  That was the main reason I thought you should take the deck, as I figured it would give you a spare gearbox for the 50" when you found one.

I ain't worried about it Dan, I saw the new belt on it.

I just put it on to try it since I had it, thought might as well try to use it.

I can tell you that for the short time it did cut grass, it was long, heavy and wet, it has more cutting power than the MF16 lawn mower I have, smaller deck probably main reason why.

• MH81 and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#27 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 09:16 PM

Sorry to hear about your gearbox failure, hope you find a 50" deck soon. I'm still looking around here.

#28 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted September 25, 2013 - 05:40 AM

Dang! Sorry to hear this. Hope you find a 50" deck before long!

#29 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted September 25, 2013 - 09:06 AM

That tractor was beautiful, I loved the green  metallic color on it. most people never think MTD actually made heavy tractors way back, not just box store lawn tractors.

Hate to hear about the mowing deck gearbox.

It sounded great too. Good thing you didn't turn your back for long, I need an old B&S motor for my Allis :D  :D

:rolling:

#30 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• Member No: 7101
  • 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted September 25, 2013 - 08:11 PM

I managed to get the mower deck on it, wasn't easy trying to figure out how to attach it and get the lift to work. All the parts were there to get it on and working.

I ran it for about 15 minutes cutting grass and then the gear box on the deck flew apart. I greased everything before I started, looked Ok, it was really noisy running and didn't last long.

From what I know the last time this mower deck was used was 25 to 30 years ago. What can you expect from that length of time sitting idle. Daniel said he never tried it.

I didn't really want the 42"deck, it came with the deal and if it didn't fit in the truck I was going to leave it behind.

The deck I want is the 50" deck, going to post some pictures of it on the tractor before I take it off and then I'll keep it around for parts.

those gearboxes are fairly easy to come by. parts are too. I rebuilt my entire deck and cleaned, derusted and repainted it also. I couldnt be happier with its performance.

• DH1 and sacsr have said thanks