Garden Tractor Forums banner

Unico 15

13K views 83 replies 25 participants last post by  SupplySergeant 
#1 ·
Last Saturday at Ball Hollow Plow day I picked up a 1972 MTD 990, Unico 15.

This is a tractor that has being on my want list for a while now.

It came as a bare tractor with a 42" mower deck.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

Automotive tire Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Grass
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

I also picked up a 3 point hitch for it the same day, from Texas Deere and Horse.

I brought with me a set of tire chains and wheel weights, Olcowhand rigged up a sleeve hitch for it from a Bush Hog tractor that I used for the day with my Brinly 10" plow, weights, and chains.

It did the job.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Tractor Automotive tire Tread

My intention is to use this as an all purpose, year round, garden tractor, with as many attachments as I can find for it.

Attachments

See less See more
1 8
#8 ·
This is an older picture back when it was first restored by Olcowhand, as you can see it has a custom made front bumper which really suits the tractor well. I like it.

Tire Wheel Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire

I am now searching for a parts tractor and or attachments for the MTD990 series tractors.

Attachments

#11 ·
Doug, That is one of the sweetest tractors I've ever ran, very nice indeed.

Some 990's were just re-decaled like mime and then some were built with a special paint colors and decals like yours.

I really enjoyed plowing with it, Thank You!!
Here you are on it.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Cloud Vehicle Sky

Attachments

#16 ·
Doug, great tractor. Having had the pleasure of plowing with you, that tractor did a great job. It surprised me it didn't spin very much, just kept on digging.

Reactions: DH1
#17 ·
Congrats Doug. Those are a very nice tractor and a nice addition to your collection.

Doug, great tractor. Having had the pleasure of plowing with you, that tractor did a great job. It surprised me it didn't spin very much, just kept on digging.
It's those big wheels and chains I think that keeps it digging and moving. I think some of the 990's also had a limited slip rear end but I'm not sure about that.

Reactions: DH1 and KennyP
#23 ·
Try it with the mower deck. Mine cuts great and I use it every week. Plowed with mine in the spring with a brinly 12" plow and it did equally as well. You will never be disappointed with it. BTW, looks great too!!! Pic was from spring with the plow and A-frame adapter.
I managed to get the mower deck on it, wasn't easy trying to figure out how to attach it and get the lift to work. All the parts were there to get it on and working.

I ran it for about 15 minutes cutting grass and then the gear box on the deck flew apart. I greased everything before I started, looked Ok, it was really noisy running and didn't last long.

From what I know the last time this mower deck was used was 25 to 30 years ago. What can you expect from that length of time sitting idle. Daniel said he never tried it.

I didn't really want the 42"deck, it came with the deal and if it didn't fit in the truck I was going to leave it behind.

The deck I want is the 50" deck, going to post some pictures of it on the tractor before I take it off and then I'll keep it around for parts.

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hate to hear about the gearbox Doug. No, never ever even mounted the deck, and just shot paint on it last year in prep to sell the package. I shot the paint on and installed a new V-belt & covered it up on a pallet. Even though you almost left it, I don't like that the gearbox failed on you. That was the main reason I thought you should take the deck, as I figured it would give you a spare gearbox for the 50" when you found one.

#25 ·
Your tractor was a real beast to plow with, never even slowed down on me, despite my total lack of plow experience! It's a beautiful piece of machinery, and couldn't belong to a nicer guy. I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it.

Reactions: DH1
#26 ·
Hate to hear about the gearbox Doug. No, never ever even mounted the deck, and just shot paint on it last year in prep to sell the package. I shot the paint on and installed a new V-belt & covered it up on a pallet. Even though you almost left it, I don't like that the gearbox failed on you. That was the main reason I thought you should take the deck, as I figured it would give you a spare gearbox for the 50" when you found one.
I ain't worried about it Dan, I saw the new belt on it.

I just put it on to try it since I had it, thought might as well try to use it.

I can tell you that for the short time it did cut grass, it was long, heavy and wet, it has more cutting power than the MF16 lawn mower I have, smaller deck probably main reason why.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.