8 replies to this topic

#1 gismo OFFLINE  

gismo
  • Member No: 11172
  • 2 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 07:05 PM

Hi:

My mf 12 variable speed has loose wheels on the back trans axle.  do they just tighten up on the spline or is there bearings to replace. Thanks in advance for any help

• JRJ said thank you

#2 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 07:11 PM

Gismo, I have no answer for you there.  I've got a 12 G with wobbly hubs.  I've heard that better hubs can help, but I haven't tried that yet.  I drilled and tapped my hubs for two 3/8 bolts, but the bolts keep getting loose.  I haven't tried locktite yet, so I don't know if the bolts are working loose or if something else is going on.  Right now, my back-up plan is to install the rear end from a JD 210 that was being parted out in my area.

• gismo said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 10:36 PM

There are a bunch of Massey manuals in the "Manuals Section". Good Luck, Rick

• gismo and JRJ have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 11:55 PM

I think someone had installed a set of three setscrews with lock tight and had some luck. Beats welding them solid anyways.
  • gismo and JRJ have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 08:05 AM

On the 317 I'm working on both wheels were loose when I got it. The large castle nut that holds the brake drum onto the axle was loose. The PO apparently did not realize that there were 2 holes through the axle and you can usually get the axle tight and get a cotter pin through on or the other hole. If not, a shim can be installed so you can get it tight and get the cotter pin lined up. I'm not sure if you are dealing with the same setup. The 300's use a Dana rear end and not a Peerless.

• Alc, gismo and JRJ have said thanks

#6 MFGray OFFLINE  

MFGray

• Member No: 154
  • 129 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 02:01 PM

This was discussed a bit in this forum a couple of years ago ("Axle hub fixes - ideas and tricks"). There seemed to be two satisfactory solutions, either drill, tap and insert setscrews, or fill the gaps with a metal epoxy. I went the epoxy route and it seems to be holding up ok.
  • boyscout862 and gismo have said thanks

#7 gismo OFFLINE  

gismo
  • 2 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 07:09 PM

HI;  I was just wondering what exactly the epoxy route was. where  the epoxy was placed  and what the general procedure was.  Thanks for the info it's interesting.  gismo

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

#8 MFGray OFFLINE  

MFGray

• Member No: 154
  • 129 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted September 25, 2013 - 02:08 PM

I used Loctite automotive epoxy putty. Apparently it's best to sandblast the parts but I wirebrushed each axle shaft and hub and then wiped the splines with ethanol. I smeared the putty onto the outside 3/4 of the splined part of the axle (I left the inner quarter because I didn't want to jam up the space between the hub and the axle cover), and onto the inside of the hub, then with the axle vertical,(standing the transaxle on one wheel) I lowered the hub onto the axle and wiped away the bits of putty that were pushed in front as much as I could and all the bits that got pushed back into the well of the hub. Then I found that in the vertical positon, the shaft slipped just a little into the transaxle and I could not get the surclip into its groove, so I heated and bent a screwdriver blade to prise the shaft up a fraction and slipped the clip into place and left it for two days. It probably shifted when I did that, but I can't feel any movement in the hub yet.

I may well need to heat the hubs up if I want to get them off now, but I had completely serviced the transaxle first so I keep my fingers crossed that it won't be necessary.
  • IamSherwood and gismo have said thanks

#9 gismo OFFLINE  

gismo
  • 2 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted September 25, 2013 - 05:01 PM

Hi mfgray

I'm going to pick some epoxy tomorrow and I will doing the same job on my mf12 axle hubs on the weekend.  I will let you know how it came out sometimes next week.   Thanks for al the information, greatly appreciated   gismo