• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 07:01 PM

I am increasing the size of my garden and planning on growing most of my own seed. I have about 4500 sq ft now and will probably double that next year.

For many years I have planted soybeans after sweet corn as a cover crop to add nitrogen. As I was researching sustainable seed, I stumbled onto several cover crop seed mixes. I decided to go with Dundale peas and Bell beans. The beans have stiff stems that can support the climbing peas. They are supposed to grow "up to" 7' tall and add "as much as" 200 pounds of nitrogen to the soil.

My garden is winding down, but I still have green beans going strong. In the pic below, I have 3 wide rows (nearest to the road) of blue lake that I'm growing for seed. The 4th row is Jade (hybrid) that I got the first picking on Saturday.

The beans in my hand is what I pulled out in one swipe. The bucket fills up pretty fast when you can pick like that.

The scraggly row of peas is what finally goaded me to buy the Hoss seeder. I've been using an All In One seeder for years and never was satisfied with its performance. Trying to plant the peas was the final straw. It jammed every few feet, throwing seed everywhere.

I built a hand push carriage for the seeder out of lumber I had, and am going to build a metal 3 pt carriage so I can plant with my 446.

ZXA.jpg ZZA.jpg ZVA.jpg All In One.jpg 14.jpg

Edited by freedhardwoods, September 23, 2013 - 07:29 PM.

• MH81, Alc, HowardsMF155 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 07:06 PM

I take it the Hoss seeder is the one with the wooden frame?

#3 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 07:21 PM

I take it the Hoss seeder is the one with the wooden frame?

Yep. Ugly, but works very well.

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 07:39 PM

When you grow a cover crop of soybeans or the new cover crop , do you have to mow it down before tilling/plowing ?  I've only used winter rye as a cover but am game for anything to help the garden , Al

#5 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 07:53 PM

Soybeans are fairly easy to chop up with a lawn mower. If this new bean/pea mix gets as big as they say, I might need a bigger mower.

Many of the legume cover crops I looked at had a cereal grain of some kind in the mix. I may add that myself.

Edited by freedhardwoods, September 23, 2013 - 07:55 PM.

• Alc and JRJ have said thanks