Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 10:09 AM

Has anyone adjusted the oil pressure on one of the large Kohler flat twins? (K482, 532, 582, ETC.?

I have a repair manual, but it doesn't provided much detail...

Regards,

Smitty

#2 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 04:59 PM

I have adjusted it on the 532 and the 582. I will see if I have the page handy that shows how its done. In the mean time there is a allan screw with a nut on the side where the oil pan and block come together. It will be on the side where the oil dipstick is and towards the flywheel side. You will need to loosen the nut and move the allan screw in to increase pressure and out to decrease pressure and then retighten the nut. Only do this if you have a pressure gauge on the motor so not to set it two low. 

Edited by bhts, September 23, 2013 - 08:52 PM.

• MH81, Utah Smitty and HDWildBill have said thanks

#3 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 09:03 PM

I have adjusted it on the 532 and the 582. I will see if I have the page handy that shows how its done. In the mean time there is a allan screw with a nut on the side where the oil pan and block come together. It will be on the side where the oil dipstick is and towards the flywheel side. You will need to loosen the nut and move the allan screw in to increase pressure and out to decrease pressure and then retighten the nut. Only do this if you have a pressure gauge on the motor so not to set it two low. 

I have a drawing in the manual of the bolt and lock nut, but wasn't sure where it was.  Where do you hook up the oil pressure guage--in the socket where the sending unit is?  (I have a 482 and a 582).

#4 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 09:14 PM

I have a drawing in the manual of the bolt and lock nut, but wasn't sure where it was.  Where do you hook up the oil pressure guage--in the socket where the sending unit is?  (I have a 482 and a 582).

Yes that is where it can be installed. And since you are already into it I would add a oil pressure gauge kit to the tractor so you can keep a eye one it.

Also set the pressure somewhere around 40-50 pounds

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#5 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 09:16 PM

Yes that is where it can be installed. And since you are already into it I would add a oil pressure gauge kit to the tractor so you can keep a eye one it.

Also set the pressure somewhere around 40-50 pounds

Well, I finally got to where I could work on the Bolens last week.  I bought a full sweep guage that goes to 100 lbs, and has tick marks every 2 lbs so I could be accurate.  Also used coper tubing on the install instead of the plastic that came with the guage.  I put it in the hourmeter hole as there wasn't another good spot for it at the moment.

It was a pain to get to the adjusting nut, so I broke down and bought a set of crow's foot wrenches that go on a ratchet.  After that it was cake... I set it at 50 psi.  I did the Sea Foam thing with the engine at the same time, and it starts up now on the first turn...

One thing I've noticed, though... when I rev the engine up to full speed to operate the machine, the pressure drops to about 40 psi.  If I idle back down, it goes up to 50... I'm not sure why it's doing that--the oil was changed about 2 hours ago, and it's full up.  I cleaned out the fins on the engine the same time I installed the oil guage...plus put in a new air filter...

Any thoughts on why it does that?

Regards,

Smitty

#6 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 09:37 PM

Mine does the same thing on the 20 and 23. Did you get all the air out of the line after you installed the gauge. As the oil moves quicker by the inlet you may see a decrease in the pressure due to this but it will not hurt as mine has been they way for sometime. I guess I should listen to myself and remove the air from the line.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#7 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 06:19 AM

I bled the line--by accident-I hadn't tightened the nut enough on the guage... it may still have some air in it.

Thank for the info.

Smitty

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: k482, k582, oil pressure adjustment