Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Built My First Fire In The Wood Burner Tonight.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,516 Thanks
  • 7,379 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 11:55 AM

I'll get some pictures of what I am using.

Its basically a converted coal stove.  I don't really know if its "converted" but the old man burnt coal in it, then wood later on.  It works great.

It basically looks like an over sized 55 gallon drum with a cast iron door for the burn box and a cast iron door for the ash bin.  Then it has 4 holes in the top for the radiant heat to push through the duct work. 

I can't find a single thing on the internet about it.  Stamped 21st Century, has some dates and patent numbers on it.  According to the older guys in town all the homes had one of these installed that were build from 1913 to 1930.  They were put in the basement then the house was built over it.  Its so huge you'd never get it in or out of there.

Anyone ever tried one of these?

I see them at fleamarkets and tag sales. They are under powered for logs more than about 10" in diameter depending on the species. Good Luck, Rick

#17 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,050 Thanks
  • 4,980 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 12:52 PM

I read some more review, seems like a waste. 

I emailed a buddy today and he has a 70" 6" flange beam laying in his scrap pile I can have for a 6 pack of bud light(I won't judge him on his beer choice)

Need a chunk of 1" about 7" wide and 12" tall for my stop.  Then I can start building my splitter.  I may make it back to mount on the back of the economy king 3 point.  At least I could use that lawn decoration for something useful.  I don't know if that PTO would run the splitter or not?  Anyone have an idea?