• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 10:17 PM

Brought two refugees home from the dump, Echo straight shaft weedeaters. One had the throttle and interlock handles broke off. Put some gas in the other and it would start on choke but would die when the throttle was opened just a crack. Took carb apart and it looked clean, pump diaphragm looked good. Soaked carb body in acetone for a 1/2 hr, reassembled and still no joy. Swapped carb off the other and she runs like new!!

I plan to try the lemon juice soak on the bad carb and see what that does for it. How hot does the juice need to be and how long do I cook it? Any suggestions??

I disassembled the throttle assembly and removed the interlock. There's still enough of the throttle handle to run it. If I get it running I'll buy a new throttle handle or just keep this one for spare parts.

Thanks,

Mike

• sacsr, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 10:21 PM

Nice score, at least you got one runner out of it.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 22, 2013 - 06:55 AM

Those small 2 stroke engines seem to be prone to carb problems. I've also seen the intake manifolds crack on the Ryobi trimmers. 

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted September 22, 2013 - 07:59 AM

Reusing is even better than recycling. The problem with the 2 strokers is usually the wrong kind or amount of oil in the gas. The ethanol in the gas is supposed to cause a lot of trouble for the older carbs too. Good Luck, Rick

#5 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted September 22, 2013 - 09:40 AM

... pump diaphragm looked good. ...

A pump diaphragms can look good but been to stiff to work properly.  

#6 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted September 22, 2013 - 03:11 PM

Reusing is even better than recycling. The problem with the 2 strokers is usually the wrong kind or amount of oil in the gas. The ethanol in the gas is supposed to cause a lot of trouble for the older carbs too. Good Luck, Rick

I always heard this about the oil.  Then I bought some universal pre-mixed fuel that is supposed to work well with 32:1, 40:1, or 50:1.  Now just how is this possible?  I say it's because it is pure 92 octane GAS, and a good synthetic oil.  I used it in my 32:1 Homelite chainsaw, my 40:1 Craftsman chainsaw and my Ryobi 50:1 line trimmer.  I had no problems with either machine. I have used the 40:1 tru-fuel in all 3 also with no problems.  All have been starting well and running well since I started buying the canned fuel and not using ethenol.

• sacsr and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 skiwithjohn OFFLINE  

skiwithjohn
  • Member No: 10293
  • 8 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted October 11, 2013 - 04:04 PM

As for cleaning the carb, I bought a ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight this summer after reading how much easier they make cleaning carbs.  These things work great, at least from my experience so far.  I bought the larger of the two HF sells.  It has a function to heat the solutions as it cleans.  I've used Simple Green mixed about 50/50 with water and it has cleaned up the couple carbs I put in it very well.

• sacsr said thank you

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 11, 2013 - 04:58 PM

It is cheaper to replace those carburetors on those two strokes then it is to rebuild them.  By the time you spend cleaning the thing then buying a kit you can have a brand new carb and have it installed in about 5 - 10 minutes.  I just had a Stihl chain saw, would not idle and would not sustain high speed plus hard to start.  I took that thing apart 3 times and everything looked just fine.  Finally just bought a new on for $26 and had it up and running in about 5 minutes.  Our local Repair / parts shop and a buddy of mine who repairs small engines now just replace the carburetors instead of rebuilding them.