• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#46 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 09:24 AM

I'm dismantling the layout once again but after going through some of my stuff & seeing some of the train posts I'm getting inspired. I had posted my saw mill earlier in this thread. I found my saw mill office I built. These were not always built near the mill because of the heavy traffic, dirt, sawdust & I read somewhere because the ladies were not comfortable going to work dealing with all the rude men  :( Because of this I built it as a module just in case I placed it down the road from the mill.

I winged the design of this & started out with sheet styrene plastic.

MillOffice-3.jpg

Next up I cut all my window openings. I normally buy my windows from a supplier but I decided to build these.

MillOffice-5.jpg

MillOffice-7.jpg

DSCF4691.jpg

The wood framing on this is some of my scaled lumber I cut from poplar & cedar scraps.

DSCF4788.jpg

The roofing on this is a Corrugated Metal Roofing I make in my shop for modelers & sell to hobby shops & eBay.

DSCF4862.jpg

DSCF4874.jpg

DSCF4869.jpg

Hope you enjoyed my other fever. With the cold weather coming I'm starting to get some other symptoms.

• Cvans, LilysDad and Gabriel have said thanks

#47 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 09:45 AM

I'm dismantling the layout once again but after going through some of my stuff & seeing some of the train posts I'm getting inspired. I had posted my saw mill earlier in this thread. I found my saw mill office I built. These were not always built near the mill because of the heavy traffic, dirt, sawdust & I read somewhere because the ladies were not comfortable going to work dealing with all the rude men  :( Because of this I built it as a module just in case I placed it down the road from the mill.

I winged the design of this & started out with sheet styrene plastic.

MillOffice-3.jpg

Next up I cut all my window openings. I normally buy my windows from a supplier but I decided to build these.

MillOffice-5.jpg

MillOffice-7.jpg

DSCF4691.jpg

The wood framing on this is some of my scaled lumber I cut from poplar & cedar scraps.

DSCF4788.jpg

The roofing on this is a Corrugated Metal Roofing I make in my shop for modelers & sell to hobby shops & eBay.

DSCF4862.jpg

DSCF4874.jpg

DSCF4869.jpg

Hope you enjoyed my other fever. With the cold weather coming I'm starting to get some other symptoms.

Very nice work! Which one of the men on the front porch is you :smilewink: (just kidding).

Edited by Gabriel, October 28, 2014 - 09:48 AM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#48 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 11:15 AM

Gabriel the one with no hair. The guy in the red shirt is Woody Nothole that lives upstairs and is the grounds keeper & opening up for late night deliveries. :D

• Gabriel said thank you

#49 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 12:26 PM

Very nice Jim. I am a long ways away from doing any scenery. I still don't even have bench work up yet.

• Sawdust and Gabriel have said thanks

#50 Skullbone OFFLINE  

Skullbone
  • Member No: 62534
  • 106 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 04:32 PM

Sawdust, just amazing, since you are dismantling your layout, you could let Mr Hothole come and live at my house

#51 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 10:41 PM

I converted my attic space into a train room with floor and walls.  That was where I used to put my energy until I found the Massey lawn tractors.  My kids love going up and playing with trains.

Any pics?

#52 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 01:02 AM

Another thing I like to do is take a cheap or unwanted rail car & build something I want. My wife bought me some CSX coal hoppers not knowing these are not our modeling era so I made one of these my donor...of coarse with her permission  :smilewink:

LNWoodChipHopper-2.jpg

I started by removing the lettering because after I paint this the area will be raised if I don't remove them now. I cut some strip styrene to make the ribs & extensions.

LNWoodChipHopper-5.jpg

Here I have the ribs & extension panels on & primed.

DSCF0743.jpg

DSCF0744.jpg

Red oxide finish coat.

DSCF0773.jpg

The white lettering I used are the rub off transfers that come in a sheet. The orange markings I made up & printed on clear decal sheets as the prototype had. I also weathered the wheels & trucks slightly since this was a freshly painted & re-lettered prototype for L&N.

DSCF0785.jpg

I have a pic of the prototype but because of Copyrights I can't post it. If you want to see the prototype here is the link. Hope you enjoyed.

https://www.google.c...=0CEsQsAQ&dpr=1

• Alc, KennyP, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#53 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 10:38 AM

That sure turned out nice.

#54 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 10:58 AM

Nice work!
  • Sawdust said thank you

#55 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 11:38 AM

That looks great

#56 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 07:39 PM

Not only do I like building structures I also enjoy cutting scaled lumber. I save my scrap pieces of poplar & cedar from my jobs. I have a little HomeCraft 10" cast iron table saw by Rockwell. I have converted it to a hobby saw using a 6 1/2" blade for a cordless saw. This blade gives me a very thin kerf cut....cutting wood this small I could easily end up with more sawdust than materials.lol 

attachicon.gifScaledLumber-02.jpgattachicon.gifScaledLumber-08.jpg

Scrap pile before

attachicon.gifScaledLumber-01.jpg

Many different sizes of scaled lumber...Hobby shop value around $300.

attachicon.gifScaledLumber-12.jpg

The above saw mill buildings along with my other scratch built projects are made using my scaled lumber.

I am right with you on trains and making my own scale lumber.  I use to have a large HO layout but sold it all off a few years back and now have a decent sized G scale or Garden Railroad.  I get cedar from a company that makes bird feeders and house.  A bundle 6' long and 3 ' diameter cost me $5 and they load it with a fork lift.  I do all my re-sawing with a band saw.  Narrow kerf makes for less waste like you stated.  I bevel cut boards for roof and siding.  Also use vertical board with batten for siding.  For window glass I stick Plex-O-Glass on the inside with Tub and tile Adhesive and grout.  The majority of my building are in the transition era, from steam to diesel.  I build them in the winter months and also do any repair work that is needed so everything is ready to go back outdoors as soon as the weather breaks.  During the 'warmer' winter days I work on two 2 wheel garden tractors I purchased last  fall.  About have them running now and ready to start on the equipment for them.

• Cvans and Sawdust have said thanks