Up until recently, I have purchased non-running GT's (which, for the most part, stay in some form of non-running state). I bought a JD 318 off of Craigslist (with front plow and 3 point hitch). Now I am having doubts about the purchase and would like to find the answers to the following questions (or reassurance) as I am unfamiliar with hydro, JD, and Onan engines (I know...I know....why did I buy it then... just so you know, you sound like my wife :)). The serial # is 324835.
- Would you advise using Mobil 1 10W30 with the Onan engine?
- Do I need JD hydro fluid or is there something better or the same quality for a lower price?
- Do these tractors usually slow down, slightly, going up hill or is this a concern about the hydro?
- When the PTO, for the mower is on, should the PTO light on the dash light up? If the PTO light lights up, is that a bad thing? The belt was in poor shape when I bought the tractor and I replaced it, can't really say for sure if I have seen the light since then.
- The previous owner installed an electrical fuel pump, is this common?
- I usually run the throttle 3/4 of the way open. After a while, 30 minutes or so, I notice the throttle has moved back to half throttle, it moving so slow I don't even notice. Is this common or is there a fix.
- What is the most important thing to check on this tractor (probably should have asked prior to the purchase)?
- What is the most important thing to maintain on this tractor going forward?
- Someone tell my wife I got a great deal, it doesn't really matter what I paid, just tell her that any way. :)