• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 68guns OFFLINE  

68guns

• Member No: 7878
  • 122 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 03:38 PM

Just rebuilt the carb on my G10 and I seem to have gotten rid of the miss it had on high power. However after taking the spark plug out it looks like the valves/head has MAJOR carbon build up so I think I am going to pull the head for a looksee. This will be my virgin time doing this so are there any set rules I need to go by? Any tricks?

#2 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 04:15 PM

Do you have a Torque wrench?

Torque the head bolts to 200 inch lbs. (17 ft. lbs.) in 50 in. lb. increments. (5.6 ft lbs.) After your done cleaning the carbon out.

Follow This sequence chart for tightening the head bolts.

284480.jpg

Be careful if you use a wire wheel that you do not damage the heads flat sealing surface.

Edited by EricFromPa, September 21, 2013 - 04:22 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 04:51 PM

I might add rotate engine so both valves are seated to keep debris out. Once your done use an air gun to blow clean.

• EricFromPa and JDBrian have said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 05:03 PM

Carb cleaner works well to help dissolve the carbon. If the HG wasn't leaking it shouldn't be too difficult to clean things up. Some folks use a treatment of Seafoam to remove carbon. It may be worth a try. I've never done it but it does allow you to remove carbon without pulling the head. 

• EricFromPa said thank you

#5 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted September 22, 2013 - 08:14 AM

I never pulled a head till this year.  I was a little scared at first but it turned out to not be such a big deal after all.  after removing the head, I made sure the piston was at the top so stuff didn't fall in  I used a small brass brush that looks like a good sized tooth brush.  I sprayed carb cleaner on the head itself and used the brush.  On the top of the block, I needed to scrape and brush.  I also used a plastic scrungie, like a scotch brite pad.after it was all cleaned up, I also turned it over so a valve would open and cleaned around the valve and seat with that little brass wire brush.

New gasket and also belleville washers which I ordered from the John Deere place as my HH100 is on a Sears Suburban and Sears didn't have the washers.

Torque down as mentioned above, start and run for 15 minutes or so.  Let cool down completely and re-torque.

I won't be frightened next time.

• EricFromPa said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tecumseh hh100