Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

Run Thru Wood Shed

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 1,506 Thanks
  • 1,018 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 02:57 PM

I know many of you guys cut firewood and have found that, as you get older, it take much more effort to get it done.  Also, if you are like me, you are scrambling every fall to get the required wood ready before the snow flies.  Well, this wood shed (from the same demented mind that brought you the hillbilly water tower, hillbilly water buggy and the hillbilly wood slide) helps in all of these areas.  As some of you know, for years I had an old corn crib that I stacked my wood in.  It held around 10 cords of wood in a very confined area.  I stacked it 10 feet high.  In the past couple of years I got tired or going up and down the ladder to stack wood all the time.  I also got tired of waiting for nice weather to split and stack wood.  In the photo below, I give you the new wood shed that I just got built.  Basically it's 8 sticks and a roof.  Very inexpensive to build but its already paying off.  The center section is the run thru portion.  I have 6 feet of run thru space, enough to get even the new Massey thru.  I will be able to split in the middle while its raining and stack whenever I have time.  I took the FEL and just kept piling wood in it so I couls stack it today because I knew it was supposed to rain.  Boy, the rain really came down and I got all of the wood stacked in a couple of hours.  Never even got a mist.  This isn't done yet.  I'm using pallets right now but I plan on putting some uprights for each row that will stay in place and some removable runners on the bottom to stack the wood on.  The idea here is that whenever I take a complete row out, I take the boards up and store them overhead.  No tripping hazzards.  You can see the extension cord int he picture.  I have a light in there so I can spilt after dark.  I unplugged the light this morning and plugged in my radio.  Stacked wood to music.  It was awesome.  This is probably taking firewood to the extreme but I figure, I spend a lot of time on wood so, why not?  This years wood is starting to be stacked as you see in the pic.  Lot's to go yet.  Next years wood will be split and stacked on the other side of the breezeway.  Should have between 5 and 6 cords per side.  Perfect for my needs.  The shed is 12 x 24.  Happy splitting!

Wood shed.jpg

Edited by David Brown, September 21, 2013 - 02:58 PM.

• daytime dave, MH81, Mr Electrak and 6 others have said thanks

#2 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 1,775 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 04:57 PM

Nice build on the shed. I like your choice of roofing...sounds good in the rain while staying nice & dry. Nice to have space to rotate seasonal wood.

• David Brown and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 3,282 Thanks
  • 5,561 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 05:00 PM

It looks very effective.  I like the drive through idea to keep you dry if you must split while raining.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

• David Brown said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 12,347 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 05:09 PM

It looks good and holds plenty of wood. I can certainly see why you'd want to stop stacking it 10ft high. I don't burn much wood,just for supplemental heat and maybe 1/2 cord/year. I even hate stacking that much. Anything you can do to make it easier is a good thing.

#5 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 1,824 Thanks
  • 1,355 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 10:44 PM

That's a good looking and very practical shed. I mostly like traditional and old fashioned stuff, but some new things, like your roofing , are really an improvement over shingles. No fire hazard either, should you have a chimney fire with sparks blowing around.

#6 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

I have nothing to add. I just want to be included.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 6,663 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 10:57 PM

Nice idea. Keep those hillbilly juices flowing

#7 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 1,506 Thanks
  • 1,018 posts

Posted September 22, 2013 - 08:25 AM

Keep those hillbilly juices flowing

That's all I have going for me, brother.

#8 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9622
  • 698 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted September 22, 2013 - 08:54 PM

Nice job!  Far better for drying than tarping.  I wish I could do a shed for wood, but I can't get enough setback from the neighbor's line to be legal.  I found this year how nice the loader is for stacking!  No mo' bendin'.

#9 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 2,465 Thanks
  • 4,442 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 05:38 AM

Nice wood shed !  I wish I had 2 like that , one for wood and the other for all the tractor attachments that are under tarps ,

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 11,772 Thanks
  • 25,225 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 06:09 AM

Nice shed! The drive through keeps you dry while loading for the trip to the house too!

#11 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 1,506 Thanks
  • 1,018 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 07:11 AM

Well the idea seems to be working.  I took the FEL and dumped a bunch of wood under roof on Thursday because I knew it was supposed to rain on Saturday.  (We had to chaperone the marching band on Friday so those days are lost in the fall)  Saturday morning came and so did the rain.  I unplugged the light in the woodshed and plugged in my radio.  What would have taken 2 to 3 nice dry days to stack with the old woodshed (because of tight quarters and all the climbing) was done in a couple of hours.  I had to keep turning the radio up because it was raining so hard.  At this rate, I will be caught up faster than ever.  I moved a bunch of wood under roof yesterday so I can stack when I get the chance.  This ended up being the best thing I could have done.  Wish I had done it sooner.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#12 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84
  • Member No: 45129
  • 2,950 Thanks
  • 1,840 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 09:28 AM

I like it.  I have my fruit cellar, coal room, and another small room stacked full of fire wood.  Each room is 5'x10' with 8' ceilings.  I couldn't get another log in there if I tried, and I still have more split outside, going to have to stack it and tarp it.

#13 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 1,506 Thanks
  • 1,018 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 12:13 PM

I like it.  I have my fruit cellar, coal room, and another small room stacked full of fire wood.  Each room is 5'x10' with 8' ceilings.  I couldn't get another log in there if I tried, and I still have more split outside, going to have to stack it and tarp it.

Nice.  I usually keep around 5 or 6 weeks worth stacked in the basement myself.  That's the way to go.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#14 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84
  • Member No: 45129
  • 2,950 Thanks
  • 1,840 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 02:07 PM

Nice.  I usually keep around 5 or 6 weeks worth stacked in the basement myself.  That's the way to go.

Inside is the way to go if you have the room!  I figure that will be enough to last me all winter and then some. 

#15 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9622
  • 698 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 01:11 AM

My "system" is plastic milk crates (please don't turn me in for the reward!:D)  Normal winter days (no precip.) I keep 3-4 on the porch at a time and bring in a canvas "wood bag/with rack" full to warm up before loading.  Storms coming I do 6 and this year I'll be able to reach right outside the porch door and snatch 'em right off the loader!  No wheelbarrow and NO STEPS!:D

• David Brown and toomanytoys84 have said thanks