Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

* * * * * 3 votes

Vote Now Featured Tractor Of The Month For October 2013

featured tractor voting

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote Now for Featured Tractor of the Month October 2013 (90 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote Now for Featured Tractor of the Month October 2013

1. Ford LGT165 - BTS (25 votes [27.78%])

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

2. Suburban 12 - rustyoldjunk (16 votes [17.78%])

Percentage of vote: 17.78%

3. John Deere 318 - nbent (15 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

4. CaseDeere - Case-Closed (7 votes [7.78%])

Percentage of vote: 7.78%

5. Voted Bolens 900 - Nascar3244888 (17 votes [18.89%])

Percentage of vote: 18.89%

6. Economy - NyRedNeck (7 votes [7.78%])

Percentage of vote: 7.78%

7. Roper 20T - stripmine (3 votes [3.33%])

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 05:31 AM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of October 2013 has now officially started and will end the last day of September. This month's theme is "Ugly Tractor".

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of October and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity. Our featured tractor winners are also printed in the Lawn & Garden Tractor Magazine so if you are not a subscriber you are missing out.

We have 7 nominations this month. Let the Ugly Voting Begin!

• Ford LGT165 - BTS
  • Suburban 12 - rustyoldjunk
  • John Deere 318 - nbent
  • CaseDeere - Case-Closed
  • Bolens 900 - Nascar3244888
  • Economy - NyRedNeck
  • Roper 20T - stripmine

Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below.

• rustyoldjunk, stripmine and Newpaws493 have said thanks

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,647 Thanks
  • 1,677 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 07:56 AM

This post has been promoted to an article

Edited by BTS, September 05, 2013 - 08:55 AM.

• olcowhand, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 8 others have said thanks

#3 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,353 Thanks
  • 1,210 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 11:00 AM

This is "Rusty" my 1971 Suburban 12.It runs and drives great.I would like to nominate "Rusty" for ugly of the month. I done some tractor trading last winter and ended up with this tractor and nice clean 10XL Custom. They both had been sitting for long enough that the fuel systems were plugged up but after a little cleaning they both have turned out to be great runners."Rusty is one of the lightest steering tractors that i have ever owned and i have owned a bunch of tractors,it steers like it has power steering.I bolted on my AG's,weights and 3 point hitch other then that its pretty much as i got it.

The main things i use this tractor for is riding it around with my daughter, dragging things around and it may plow up a couple of garden this fall.I have a deck for it but at this point i don't have any intentions of putting it on because i have other mowing tractors.                                                                                                                                               

When i first got this one it was my intention not to totally restore it but at least make it look presentable but i have decided that if i spruce up a Sears it will be a SS12 that is in cosmeticly better condition,that i also have.So this one seems to be destined at least for now to be a "dirty worker" so this seemed like a good contest to enter it into.                                                                                                                       

Attached Thumbnails

• Early July 1 005.jpg
  • Early July 1 006.jpg
  • Early July 1 010.jpg
  • August 8th 002.jpg
  • August 8th 004.jpg

Edited by rustyoldjunk, September 07, 2013 - 07:24 AM.

• olcowhand, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 11 others have said thanks

#4 nbent OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8320
  • 627 Thanks
  • 519 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 11:17 PM

well i guess i will submit mt john deere 318 that i call frank. Now frank started life as a few different things such as a john deere 318 garden tractor, a farmhand front end loader that went on a john deere 4020 tractor, and the engine came out of a 1979 chevy luv. now i first got the 318 a few years ago and it was all original. then i took the deck off because i didnt use it, after that i purchased a 54" front blade and used it a little bit plowing snow. then the original onan engine threw a rod. when that happened the search for a replacement started, which ended up being a k 301 kholer, that is now going in a 317. 

Whit some modification a ariens 36" snow thrower was added to the back, but it wasn't powered yet. after looking at many ways to power the blower i decided on hydraulic, this is where the loader comes in, i used the spool valves, reservoir, and pump off of it. when i added it to the kholer motor i found out it didnt have the power to run anything. So i was in the search for another replacement engine, but after looking i couldn't find one that i could afford so my friend gave me the motor out of the luv to use in it. So out came the kholer and the cutting torch i cut the frame rails and extended the 14" and had to get new hydraulic hoses made for the power steering and front outlets. after i had every thing all mounted up i got it running and driving, but it was running very poorly so i took the carb apart and it made it worse, I havent had much more time to mess with it since the beginning of summer. next on the list todo on it is find a different carb and get the pump for the blower mounted on. i have a thread on the build of it titled building a monster. 

Attached Thumbnails

• gallery_8649_517_1328956290_8821.jpg
  • 011 - Copy (2).JPG
  • 010 - Copy.JPG
  • 009 - Copy.JPG
  • DSC00531.JPG
  • DSC00530.JPG
  • DSC00544.JPG
  • DSC00559.JPG
  • DSC00558.JPG
  • DSC00578.JPG

• olcowhand, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 9 others have said thanks

#5 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

• Member No: 13397
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 09:51 PM

I would like to nominate my CaseDeere for the "Title" of ugly tractor. I have heard it said that ugly is only skin deep but in this case I believe the ugly part is only paint deep. There are those out there that find this paint sceme attractive and it sorta is but not when applied to this particular tractor. Once again, I didn't paint it.

My CaseDeere is a good little tractor as he helps me keep the  lawn looking good and also  does a great job fogging for mosquitos  Over the winter he will get a "real" paint job, a mower deck overhaul  and a repower with a 7Hp Lombardini diesel.

green.JPG green1.JPG

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, Littledeere and 5 others have said thanks

#6 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1218
  • 163 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted September 09, 2013 - 05:24 PM

I would like to nominate my most recent purchase which is a 1964 Bolens 900.

I recently went to a local auction and found a Bolens Power Ho which I got the winning bid for and in the process I met the man who brought it there and found out that he had an old 900 sitting out in the weeds behind his house and he asked if I was interested in it.  Sure, I said.  We decided to meet up the following weekend and take a look at it.  My Uncle Keith and Cousin Tyler decided to come along with me to go to check it out.  When we got there the owner told me it was a “gift “from a friend and that he really didn’t even want the tractor.  He also said that he was getting too old to mess with tractors like that since he was having a hard time keeping up with the old simplicity he used to do the work around his property.

The rest was history.  I ended up paying $40. for the tractor, and it took chain and a come along to load it on the trailer on a day where it was so hot and humid that I looked like I just had gotten out of the pool by how soaked I was in sweat but none the less we got it on.  I just today (Sept 9 2013) was able to finally get it running and driving, hoping to make the dead line for the ugliest tractor.  Looks like I made it!!! 

Thanks for your consideration

Bradley Schittler ( Nascar3244888 )

Douglassville, Pa.

P.S. I was able to get the deck off the tractor but I had to remove the PTO with it because the slip shafts are rusted fast….none the less I hoping to free that up….once I get the steering to move freely….Here are some pics...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20130909_180817_900.jpg
  • IMG_20130909_180829_941.jpg
  • IMG_20130909_180844_228.jpg
  • IMG_20130909_180852_141.jpg
  • IMG_20130909_180901_144.jpg

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, stripmine and 7 others have said thanks

#7 NyRedNeck OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6598
  • 84 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted September 11, 2013 - 11:11 AM

I would like to nominate my 1958 Economy Tractor.  
This may be the ugliest one i have.  It runs great and has a ton of compression. Its the original 9HP Briggs.  It is used primarily to pull a trailer but also have a plow for it to push snow and dirt. I have an additional deck besides the one currently mounted but I use another tractor for mowing.  
I am not positive if the electric start on her is original as the startergen is not in the usual place under the hood.  The battery is always dead so most of the time i give it a pull start and it never fails me.

I took this one in on a trade for another tractor i had.  I believe there was some cash involved and possibly a Wheelhorse lawn ranger as well as some attachments thrown in the mix. I think i had to work on this deal for several months as the guy was holding on to it and did not want to give it up.  I was quite pleased with my end of the trade and so was the other party. Everyone wins.   :thumbs: 
I will one day get around to stripping it down and painting it but for now it will remain my favorite ugly duckling. I like the character it has just the way she sits and it it a hard worker.  I am getting ready to start hauling my wood around for this coming Winter.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 58.jpg
  • DSC01393.JPG
  • DSC01392.JPG

Edited by NyRedNeck, September 11, 2013 - 11:11 AM.

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, EricFromPa and 7 others have said thanks

#8 stripmine OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2590
  • 35 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 09:33 PM

Do these need to be currently owned,  If not.. then I'd like to nominate my old 1978 Roper 20T.

I don't own this one anymore, but this is the tractor that started my interest in the old Sears & Roper tractors.   This was my neighbors tractor, which he ran around with no hood, on half flat tires & with governor hunting like crazy.  He finally broke down and bought a new LT from tractor supply & decided to junk the roper. Well, he never got around to junking her, so he pulled the motor & the deck off and pushed her out to the street on garbage night.  He was thinking that the scrappers would see it and so he was lightening the load so they could get her into the back of a truck.

When I came home from work & asked about it, he just said that he wanted it gone. I set the motor back on the frame & loaded up all of the parts laying there & pushed her home.  I bolted the engine back down & hooked the wiring back up and had her running that evening.  The Hood wasn't attached because the upper grill was destroyed.. It was in 4 pieces with one lower corner missing completely.   The cable that was supposed to catch the hood when you opened it, was sticking out the front of the tractor & both headlights were missing.

The deck was so rusted that the right side mandrel was falling off & the paint was so blistered from the rust under it, that it looked like it had been repaired with a coat of bondo... never  sanded,  then painted. The seat, as you can see in the pictures was shot.. and the wheels had been spray painted a time or two, and the layers were peeling off. If this wasn't bad enough, there was grass clippings & weeds stuck in every crack on the tractor & the field mice had made a nest of paper & rags under the dash.

The engine would start & run,, but would hunt so badly that she'd nearly die every time that she slowed down.   Upon investigating, a lose carb & a torn gasket were the cause of most of the hunting, so with a little gasket material & some silicone, I got her back to a half normal Idle. A little carb tweaking took care of the rest.

I used the tractor like this till the end of that summer, but as soon as I found a new deck for her, I started working on a little make over.

This was all back in 2001, so these weren't digital pictures.. they are scans of the pictures I took at the time.  By the way, I had her for 5 years & sold her.. then my buddy bought her from the guy I sold her to.. so I still get to spend some time with this old friend.

Just for fun I added two later pictures of the Roper 20T.  The one without the loader is how she looked when I sold her, & the one with the loader is how she is currently set up.

Attached Thumbnails

• SCN_0061.jpg
  • SCN_0060.jpg
  • SCN_0059.jpg
  • SCN_0062.jpg
  • SCN_0064.jpg
  • SCN_0063.jpg
  • IMG_2089.JPG
  • IMG_2329.jpg

Edited by stripmine, September 15, 2013 - 11:06 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Littledeere, sacsr and 4 others have said thanks

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 06:51 AM

Voting has begun. Get em in :D

#10 69L46Vert OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 41088
  • 38 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 11:16 AM

I tried to vote but don't have permission :wallbanging:  

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 11:45 AM

I tried to vote but don't have permission :wallbanging:  

Once you have 10 posts you can vote.

• rustyoldjunk and 69L46Vert have said thanks

#12 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,353 Thanks
  • 1,210 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 09:53 PM

Rick post some pictures of you sharp DB's in the Sears or DB forum.

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 07:04 PM

Not too many more days to vote gang.

#14 Delmar ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,248 Thanks
  • 2,378 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 12:15 AM

Man, this is a tough decision.  They all look great to me! I am kinda partial to old iron, tho......

#15 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,481 Thanks
  • 7,354 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 02:38 PM

I see beauty in all of them. Its very difficult.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: featured, tractor, voting