5 replies to this topic

#1 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 02:41 PM

I know this doesn't qualify as a GT but it's a tractor and I think it passes muster as a "Farm Tractor". I'm heading out tonight on a road trip to take a look at a 1974 Leyland 154 tractor. The back story goes something like this:

The current owner is the neighbor across the street from the original owner. The current owner has had it for a little over a year. The original owner bought it new for the primary purpose of snow removal. The current owner reports that it's always been garage kept. The original owner put brand new rear tires on the tractor just before the current owner bought it a little over a year ago. The paint on the tin is in original condition and the loader has been repainted; in one pic it does look like the frame of the tractor may have been repainted at one point. It is a 4 cylinder gas engine that by report runs good and strong. It has a 3 pt. hitch and comes with the cab (no sides but windshield with electric wiper). The tractor has 1546+/- hours on her. The original owner had the rear tire weighted with calcium chloride and luckily did so inside tubes. The tires are not currently weighted but the plan would be to fill tires for added weight/traction.

Now to see how the seller's story stacks up to what I observe tonight....yes I know it's not advisable to make any purchases at night but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I will be bringing plenty of light to "shine" on the subject.

I'm new to the larger tractors and even newer to Leylands. I had been looking for a Ford 8N but when I came across this tractor and heard it described as a "Ford 8N on steroids" I couldn't help but take a look.

I'm planning to use it primarily for keeping up my long dirt lane (rear grader), snow removal and anything around the property that requires a loader. My dad and I are driving almost 3 hours to take a look tonight and hopefully all will check out.

leyland 1.jpg

leyland 2.jpg

leyland 3.jpg

leyland 4.jpg

leyland 5.jpg

leyland 6.jpg

leyland 7.jpg

leyland.jpg

Any thoughts on what in particular I should be looking for?

Do you have any thoughts about value...I know this is a tricky question I'm just wondering about ball park as I've never ventured into the Leyland brand?

Any thoughts for me regarding this tractor being a good match for what I'm looking to use it for?

Thanks.

Edited by Moosetales, September 20, 2013 - 02:49 PM.

• Dieselcubmike and Sawdust have said thanks

#2 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 03:01 PM

I can't help with info but I hope it works out good for you. It looks like a nice & well kept rig.

• Moosetales said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 05:15 PM

Before looking at it do a search for parts. I've only seen a couple of them and I don't know where you would get parts. I've been seeing Fords, Masseys, and IHs in the $4k to $7k range for 40 year old 40hp tractors with loader and 3ph. If you shop around you can get a good older full size tractor for $5k or less. If you are willing to fix one up, about $2000.  

My old memory is thinking those were made in England. Becareful if the bolts are Wentworth sizes. They will drive you crazy until you buy a set of wentworth tools. If it is English, parts could be real difficult. Good Luck, Rick

#4 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 06:13 PM

^ Whitworth bolts.  http://en.wikipedia....ndard_Whitworth

My dad had an 8N with a Wagner loader. It worked great for snow removal with the oversized snow bucket, as long as it wasn't too cold out because if it was the constant blast of air from the fan on the engine would freeze you.

His had loaded rear tires and a 3-point hitch which is what the 55 gallon drum full of sand he added as a counterweight was mounted. Even with the back tires loaded and ring-style tire chains, it was a bit light in the rear end.

Boyscout is correct, Leyland is a British brand. Just a quick search online doesn't turn up a lot of domestic sources for parts, much more in Europe. 

Good luck whichever way you decide. 

Edited by Oo-v-oO, September 20, 2013 - 06:13 PM.

#5 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 11:13 PM

Well my trip down south had to be put off till another day. Seller statea he has another looker coming in the morning so it may be gone by the time I can get down south to take a look.

I'll take the opportunity to dig a bit more regarding parts and such. Thanks for the feedback.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 06:12 AM

When you want a machine to count on, its usually best to go with what is plentiful around you. In my area Fords and John Deeres are plentiful. The Ford Dealer is 14 miles away and still a great place to do business with. The old John Deere dealer closed but a new one opened. So, parts are available. This was local yesterday.

eastern CT all for sale / wanted farm & garden - by owner

ReplyReply to: 7hgfp-4074635509@sale.craigslist.org [?]

flag [?] : miscategorized prohibited spam best of

Posted: 2013-09-18, 12:03AM EDT

Ford 2000 Tractor Loader - $3750 (Eastern Ct)

00V0V_1tyilTEm2i6_600x450.jpg
00V0V_1tyilTEm2i6_50x50c.jpg00j0j_hBUlTEmD0LZ_50x50c.jpg

I'm a little negotiable
36 HP gas
Runs & operates very good
Very strong hydraulics. Down pressure lifts front tire 8" off of the ground see pic.
Great for home & farm. Great to have when snow's 3-4 feet deep too
This is an industrial loader. Does not have a 3 point or rear PTO. Only a very powerful loader. Strong puller.
Delivery available
Leave your phone # if youre a serious buyer

This one I liked best:

CLeastern CT all for sale / wanted farm & garden - by owner

ReplyReply to: jnbft-4015291841@sale.craigslist.org [?]

flag [?] : miscategorized prohibited spam best of

Posted: 2013-08-20, 9:27PM EDT

Ford 4400 Gas Loader Tractor - $4000 (E.Woodstock, CT)

01010_gYjANub0e5Q_600x450.jpg
01010_gYjANub0e5Q_50x50c.jpg

Ford 4400 Gas Loader Tractor with new clutch and rear tires. Power steering. This is a very nice tractor, runs great and no leaks. 6 wheel weights on each rear wheel. New dash.8 speed twin stick transmission. Everything works. $4500. Please call 860-928-0341 and ask for Calvin.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Posting ID: 4015291841

Posted: 2013-08-20, 9:27PM EDT

Updated: 2013-09-14, 11:17AM EDT

email to a friend

Avoid scams, deal locally!Do NOT wire funds (Western Union, Moneygram).
Beware cashier checks, money orders, shipping, non-local buyers/sellers. More info

Good Luck, Rick

Around here $3000 should get the 2000 because it has no 3ph and $3600 should get the 4400, he listed two prices. There is a possiblitiy that the 4400 doesn't have a 3ph but it has wheel weights. Even without a 3ph you can mount a rear counter weight, it will just be fixed in place.

Edited by boyscout862, September 21, 2013 - 06:18 AM.