BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 10:29 PM

Well at least for me,

We where hired to haul a Gleaner L Combine for scrap metal, we removed the header and hauled it in (weighed in at 3000lbs) and then we hauled in the combine.

We looked up the combine online and we found out that it weighed around 10.000lbs, we also pulled the engine because it was still good and we wanted it for another project (engine weighed 1200lbs)

The combine was to wide for our trailer, so we took the wheels off the combine and then jacked it into the air.

We got it up high enough we where able to back our trailer under it (half way)

The guy that hired us was helping, he has a Case 970 (90hp) tractor with loader, so he then slowly pushed the combine on, after a hour we finally had it loaded.

We then hauled it a couple miles to town so we could weigh it in and to our surprise it weighed in at 12.500lbs (with out header or engine). So it was no wonder why the trailer and pickup where sitting low lol

The closest scrap yard is about 25 miles away and of course there was a 15/20 mph wind that we where driving into and our old '81 chevy C30 didn't want to go over 35mph so it was a slow drive.

When we got to the scrap yard, the lady in the office said that there is no one to unload us :(, I guess the guy working there didn't show up, so she asked if any of us can run a loader backhoe, :dancingbanana: I said that I have run loaders before so I hopped on it and pulled it off :D

It was a JCB 3C loader backhoe, it was a blast to run and it all worked out pretty good :thumbs:

I wish we would of had that loader/backhoe to load with :worshippy1:

Luckily it all went well and no one got hurt,

It was a little scary at times but it's now hauled and done with :rocker2:

:biting_nails:

(last picture is the loader/backhoe I used to unload with)

Attached Thumbnails

• Combine 001.JPG
  • Combine 003.JPG
  • Combine 007.JPG
  • Combine 008.JPG
  • Combine 009.JPG
  • Combine 011.JPG

Edited by BTS, September 20, 2013 - 11:53 AM.

• olcowhand, Alc, wvbuzzmaster and 1 other said thanks

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 11:05 PM

Decent little haul. So what is the plan for that engine, I heard you had a plan lol.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, September 19, 2013 - 11:06 PM.

• BTS said thank you

#3 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 06:35 AM

wow, that is a load for that trailer!!! what was wrong with the combine to make the owner scrap it?

• BTS said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 06:50 AM

That was a big job and you got it done!  That thing is huge. I think 35mph would be as fast as you'd want to go with that much load anyway. Looks pretty tall. It's a good thing there were no low bridges or overpasses between you and the yard. 

• BTS said thank you

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 07:06 AM

We have torn apart several combines, pickets, etc. it's where I get most of my hardware and scrap steel pieces from that I putter around with.

Glad you got it all on and no one got hurt. Hope the trailer is OK and no axles were bent in the making of this project.
  • BTS said thank you

#6 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 08:01 AM

I'm panning putting the engine in our pickup one of these days, I have read about people putting combine/tractor engines in pickups and they get around 20 to 30 mpg which would be a great improvement over the 9mpg that our pickup gets now :(

It's not going to happen real quick, it's going to be a big project.

The combine had a lot wrong with it, the auger tubes where rusted out bad, it also had other rust that was needing to be patched.

One finally drive was on it's way out, and the combine is old and out dated.

Luckily no damage was done to the trailer, this trailer is shop built and it's really stout, but the axles do worry me.

To give you a idea on the size of the combine, the trailer is 24' (including dove tail) and it is just about 8' wide.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 08:53 AM

You did well getting that to the Salvage Yard.  If your running gas in that C30 and getting 9 MPG with it towing I don't think it is doing bad at all.  Been daydreaming about setting up a work truck and doing some research. Most 3/4 & 1 ton trucks running set up to pull with a diesel are running around 12-14 mpg depending on gearing.

• BTS said thank you

#8 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 09:12 AM

Our C30 gets 9mpg empty and with out a trailer.

We burned a full tank of gas driving the 25 miles (ouch) :(

• JD DANNELS and twostep have said thanks

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 10:36 AM

Our C30 gets 9mpg empty and with out a trailer.

We burned a full tank of gas driving the 25 miles (ouch) :(

Yeah that would be hard to swallow. My neighbor has a really nice(Sharp) C30 that sounds real healthy when he is pulling his Gooseneck Dump trailer with skidloader loaded). But I have never asked him what kind of mileage he is getting.

• BTS said thank you

#10 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,730 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 01:12 PM

I have done that before  I didn't have a front end loader to use either I had to load it with a winch and jacks

Combine.jpg

Edited by mybigwarwagon, September 20, 2013 - 01:13 PM.

• BTS said thank you

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 02:31 PM

That reminds me and I have to ask. Is'n the motor mounted pretty high on those? I remember my father -in Law helping a friend change one once. Seems like they put the father-in-laws WD45 in the back of the guy's Chevy C60 to get enough height to lift the engine?

How did you get it out?

• BTS said thank you

#12 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,730 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 08:53 PM

The engine was already pulled on the one I moved. Had it not been I would have just pulled it under the huge oak tree and lifted it out with the chain hoist.

• BTS said thank you

#13 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 10:22 PM

A Gleaner L was the biggest conventional cylinder combine Allis Chalmers made.  That was a definate load there.  Glad to hear you made it work without incident.  Hope that engine works out good for you too.  I am not much of an Allis afficianado and can't say how reliable they are but we have a neighbor that owns an N5 "silver seeder",  I mean an N5 Gleaner rotary combine.  My dad and I nick-named it "old smokey" years ago.  That thing rolls coal just driving down the road let alone when its under load in the field.  Both machines used the same engine, a 426 cube powerplant in the neighborhood of 150-190hp.

• BTS said thank you

#14 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 10:42 PM

The "L" series also came in the 426 cubic inch engine, but this engine is a little smaller.

The engine sits really high, we removed this engine with the case tractor/loader, it barely reached high enough to pick it off.

We removed the engine off of a Gleaner A combine, our loader didn't reach high enough so we hooked a chain to the engine and then hooked it to the opposite side of the combine. Then we hooked a chain to the other side of the engine and slowly pulled it off with our loader until the engine slid off and hanging down the side of the combine. We then hooked to it better, then was able to lift it, then unhook the chain on the opposite side and we got it on the ground.

#15 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 10:15 PM

Got to love them Farmalls.
  • tinbender7 and Sawdust have said thanks