Ok guys. Let's all pull together and give our ideas and techniques in a story line. Another words, I'll start off by taking a tractor apart, and post a couple of pictures of a disassembled tractor. The next member to post will explain the next step he or she feels is next, and post a picture or two of what they explained, and so on down the line. I'm hoping this thread will be not just be entertaining, but will be beneficial to our readers and first time restorer's, in learning the proper techniques, steps and methods to restoring a tractor with professional results.
This post isn't going to be brand specific, but for starters, let's figure on restoring a garden tractor with gear drive, a Kohler motor, and points/condenser ignition. When we get to the rebuilding of the transmission and motor, let's post pictures with enough details to show most of the internal parts, and if possible, show some common problem areas such as burnt or stuck valves, pistons with holes in them, warped head, broken teeth of ring gears, ect.. We want people to learn from this post, and be able to refer back to it if problems should arise. Remember that we were all in their shoes at one point in time, so as much information or detail that we can give, will only help to improve our hobby.
Today I went out to the garage and decided that this is the day to start restoring old Betsy. She did her time as a working tractor, but starting today, she won't have to work anymore. I spent most of the evening last night pressure washing the whole tractor so that I don't have to work in all kinds of grease today, and I removed the battery after I drove it back into the garage.
First things first, and that was to take all kinds of pictures of the tractor while it was still assembled, one so that I have something to refer back to if I should happen to get stuck on the reassembly, and two, to show people before and after pictures of my work. Since I'm going to be out here in the garage for the better part of the day, I might as well turn on the radio, and find some good music. With my tunes and my coffee cup filled up, I'm ready to go.
After laying out my wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, and sockets, I placed a white blanket under the tractor, so that I can easily find any parts that I may drop, plus it helps to keep nuts and bolts from rolling around on the concrete floor. I also lined up a couple of empty coffee cans, so that I can store the miscellaneous small stuff in them like nuts, bolts, washers, electrical parts, and whatever else fits in. I also have a can of penetrating oil in arms reach for any bullheaded nuts or bolts that just don't want to turn.
With safety glasses on, I'm ready to go. I start by removing the hood, hood supports and grille. I like to work from the top down while disassembling, as getting rid of the higher up parts, helps to shed light on some of the parts below the frame. Eventually I work my way down throughout the tractor, removing the seat, motor(oil removed), gas tank(gas drained), steering wheel, and pedestal, until all that is left is the frame, transmission, front axle, all four wheels and the miscellaneous under carriage parts. When I'm down to just the rolling chassis, I then drain the transmission fluid. Once empty, I'll start unbolting the transmission and remove it from the frame with the wheels still attached. I then get a buddy to give me a hand with setting the rest of the frame up on sawhorses, so the I can turn the frame upside down without damaging the steering column. The front wheels and axle are removed next, along with the tie rods and steering column. Then it's just a matter of unbolting the rest of the under carriage parts and organizing the disassembled parts into boxes.
All of the transmission parts have their own box, as well as all of the motor parts, the under carriage parts, and all of the electricals. One coffee can has all of the miscellaneous nuts, bolts, and washers. Another can has the pins, cotter pins and spring pins, and the other can has miscellaneous knobs, key switch, pto light, cigarette lighter, and rubber grommets.
Now on to the next step........
Edited by johndeereelfman, September 19, 2013 - 06:40 PM.