18 replies to this topic

#16 sdevine OFFLINE  

sdevine

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4489
  • 56 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 12:54 AM

Lauber, I think you are right, a disc would be great. Anyone headed to Texas soon? Well, I am going to put some sand and more peat in it, mix it up as best I can, and plant another garden. I agree that it will take a few years to really get conditioned right, just wish I could hurry the process.

• trowel said thank you

#17 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 07:23 AM

Can understand that, just to add, straw and leaves should help too.

#18 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 08:57 PM

you need to start up a Texas size compost pile. Every yard waste from your place, heck go door to door and get some from the neighbors. Just pile it up and turn it up with a fork once a month. In no time flat  you'll get veggie growing stuff, you can put into a row and then direct seed or transplant on. You don't have to have the  gardens every square inch covered with it.

• trowel said thank you

#19 sdevine OFFLINE  

sdevine

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4489
  • 56 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 03:48 PM

Well, I just thought I would check in, and let you know how this year's garden went. As you know, the garden was still pretty hard to plow in the spring (January/February), and I put about 120 bags of humus in. Well, when I planted, I used some bloodmeal, and some manure too. The plants grew better, but not near producing to what I would think is an acceptable level. But, I went from only harvesting seed to harvesting enough to can and freeze enough for maybe 5 meals, plus seed. We are making haste very slowly. I ground it all up with the lawnmower, and plowed it in this fall. When I plowed, it was not so hard that the tractor kept stalling, and the cultivator had a much better time of it too. I think we are finally getting there. So, this fall I decided to try some grains, so I got some wheat- 3 varieties- and some oats, barley, and rye. These should go through our mild winter with a breeze, and hopefully I can bake my own bread in the spring!