18 replies to this topic

#1 sdevine OFFLINE  

sdevine

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4489
  • 56 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 11:02 PM

Hello GT friends! Well it is mid-September, and do you know what that means in Texas? High 80's and it is time to start the fall garden!So, I finished restoring my tractor, and the garden needs tilling. First, I used a turn plow to turn the soil over. Next, since I don't yet have a disc, I got in there with a cultivator, and it seemed to work pretty well. I wasn't sure I was doing it right, so I plowed about 4 times, and then I cultivated 4 times. I am sure some will tell me that is all wrong, but alas- I have no instructor. The DB did really well, and I am anxious to see how it all turns out. Here are some pictures-DSC_2841.JPG DSC_2842.JPG DSC_2843.JPG DSC_2844.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_2845.JPG

• Alc, JDBrian, VSTROM803 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 05:31 AM

Doesn't look  bad :thumbs:   Was this just grass when you started ? Up here in Pa  I used my DB 600 to get my winter cover crop in ,  I used the plow , spike tooth harrow to make the seed bed then the harrow-packer to work the seeds in  ( rye ) guessing it's 12' x 36 ' where I did last night . Those DB are a workout  ( at least for me lol )  but do get the job done . What plants can you grow for fall ?

• sdevine said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 08:07 AM

That looks like it did a nice job. Your photos really show how large those DB's are. It's huge compared to the Troy Bilt Jr that I use to till my gardens

• sdevine said thank you

#4 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 07:30 PM

Wow! Great job. I like like to see these tractors restored and back to working in the garden. Maybe you could post some video of it in action. Thanks!

• sdevine said thank you

#5 sdevine OFFLINE  

sdevine

• Contributor
  • 56 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 12:03 PM

winterplow1.jpg witherplow3.jpg Well, the fall garden went fairly well, some successes and some failures. I planted tomatoes and peppers, green beans, carrots, onions, peas, lettuces pinto beans and butternut squash. The lettuce did not even come up, the green beans did great, along with the carrots. There was some Broccoli, cabbage and onion that none of matured out. The peas produced, but not great, as did the pinto beans. The butternut, peppers and tomatoes were all just about to do great things and the freeze killed them in early January. I dug up the carrots and onions, and plowed what was left in just yesterday.

Let's talk about plowing-

I used my turn plow yesterday to turn the dirt over. Now, we have that southcoast gumbo soil that is very dense and almost like clay. My brother the horticulturist says this is hurting my harvest yield because the plants are struggling and not getting enough oxygen. He suggested mixing in peat moss and vermiculite as well as compost, manure, blood meal and bone meal. He says the plant are not able to breathe enough. So- as I am plowing, the tractor digs deep and dies. I adjusted the angle of the plow blade so it doesn't go to China, but is still digs in. The solution I found was to lift up on the handles before it bogs down too much and dies. The other thing is to push it to help it along. Is it my thick dirt that is giving it so much trouble? Is there a technique I need to know about? I am hoping that after I get in mixed with the peat that it will get easier to work. Now that I have the initial turn over, I plan to use the southern cultivator and just keep going over it for a couple of weeks to get it loose and soft. I have no disc yet.

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 04:59 PM

Your brother is right and yes that is the reason the tractor is bogging down, adjusting the crank for less and placing the wheel on a slightly thinner block of wood for less hillside suction.

Sand is another thing that would help also.

One you use a harrow you never look back, sometimes i harrow the trash and spread out the compost first before plowing, in the fall i harrow in the trash and compost before covering with green manure.

• sdevine said thank you

#7 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 08:43 PM

Sounds counter-intuitive, but don't over work your soil.  The turning plow flips the soil but still allows air to get into the soil.  Once or twice over with a cultivator or harrow to break up the big lumps & you are done.  If you work it to a fine powder, it will exclude air pockets.  Around here, no air pockets means the soil will turn to cement if it rains.  Air pockets are important.

• sdevine said thank you

#8 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 08:44 PM

P.S. Great job on the DB!

• sdevine and trowel have said thanks

#9 sdevine OFFLINE  

sdevine

• Contributor
  • 56 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 10:46 AM

Here is a brief article I wrote on the TAG site- http://www.theameric...e-david-bradley

• Alc and trowel have said thanks

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 11:07 AM

You did up a very good page, very well done up, see this helping a lot of people im more ways then one, thanks.

Looking forwards to updates.

• sdevine said thank you

#11 sdevine OFFLINE  

sdevine

• Contributor
  • 56 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 02:27 PM

Hey GT friends! VTSROM803 asked to see the DB in action, so I shot this little video and put it on The American Garage. Enjoy! http://www.theameric...ute-garden-prep

• Alc, trowel and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#12 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted February 20, 2014 - 05:28 AM

Nice job on the video! The old DB looks great. Thanks!

• sdevine said thank you

#13 sdevine OFFLINE  

sdevine

• Contributor
  • 56 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 01:35 PM

So far, I have added 80 bags of humus, with 10% manure, and plowed and cultivated it in. The problem is that the big clumps are not breaking down- I let it dry a little and they are hard as rocks. I think I need another 80 bags with peat moss, but I am not sure it is mixing in. It doesn't seem to be blending well.

#14 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 02:46 PM

Maybe you need a tiller?

#15 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 06:51 PM

I don't know your soil but it looks to be sticky.  if you can grab up a hand full and it sticks in a ball, then its to wet to work. Some sand would help, but it will take a good amount and a few yrs to get it going. A good hard freeze will too, but its doubtful you get that down there.

Putting the humus and peat in will be a good step forwards, but again its going to take time for this to work out. I would think you could do a cover crop like rye, or alfalfa, then when it get 8 to 10" tall, plow it under and let nature do the work.  

For a quicker fix right now, maybe you should look into the tiller. Make sure its not too wet, and not make a bunch of clods. We need to figure out a way to get this DB disc down to you, as its really to big to ship it easy.

• sdevine said thank you