• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 03:35 AM

I spotted an 1832 recently and it appears to be in real good condition ...original. I`m wondering what It would be worth and the availability of parts. It appears to have been kept in the dry at least .Has the original mowing deck. Any help would be appreciated!!

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 04:40 AM

Welcome to the forum! I'll leave the value to those more in the know, but that will depend on a lot of things. And what might be a good price for your area, might be high/low elsewhere. That's more dependent on what you are comfortable spending!

#3 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 05:21 AM

Welcome SUNFFY to GTTalk !  I'm not one on prices either but I've always had good luck when ever I bought tractor , cars ect that were one owners or orignal and not hacked up even if I had to pay a little more at the begining I felt it was worth it in the long run

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 09:49 AM

:welcometogttalk: Pics would help.

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 09:55 AM

Welcome to GTT. Relax and enjoy the site. Good Luck, Rick

#6 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 11:52 AM

Hello there and welcome! :wave:

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 03:46 PM

Yeah! Pix!   Not even sure what an 1832 IS!  Must be a late model?  What engine and trans in those?  Last decade of Speedex they must have just Made Up the models and numbers, sure hard to follow. Then many didn't have many made too. 

#8 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 08:00 PM

Thanks all !!!
I spotted it at a place along the road on my way home from work. He used to have a whole bunch of tractors of all kinds a few years back, but mainly has implements now . Everything he has has been used.
I think the engine is a B&S 18 hp ...said magnetron on the decal ,I`m assuming it`s the early electronic type ignition. I think I saw somewhere on the web search that it was around the mid `80s model. Also has rubber mounted headlights in front, hood. It is sheetmetal sort of segmented arch shape instead of pure flat sheet.
It appears to have been stored in the dry. The paint is dull but no rusty spots. Everything is original. I had a shot at Economy Power King last summer but it had too much shade tree fab-work on it for the money.
I`m a little leary about the 1832 and it being able to do what I need it for, turn the garden and spread a little gravel, drag a tree every now and then. I keep hearing something about a "sliding engine" clutch .
Thanks again...any help is appreciated
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#9 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 06:39 AM

Hood sounds 80's.  Speedex used many diff rear-ends and tranny's. 18 makes it pretty big one tho. Stop by and snap some pictures of it. let us see it.   Pix of the rear-end used, number of brakes and type, wether it has foot floor boards and how it lifts implements. Any hydraulics?  Size of tires.  I feel a Power King is gonna be a much stronger tractor for what you wish to do AND, you can find the implements for those much easier than any Speedex. I've had both and that's my opinion.  The PK with 24" wheels is best for ground work, but the 16" is also OK. Twin tranny's is best for tilling and blowing snow.  Didn't say what color. Is it red or that odd off-white with color accents?  Pictures needed. How much too?

#10 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 06:32 PM

hmm....it is red with 3 point and hydraulics....12" front wheels, pretty sure it has the floorboards. I `m pretty sure it has only one wheel driven rear end which is a concern. Single stick shift on tranny.
I haven`t had chance to talk to owner of the business yet....crazy work schedule .
I`ve been studying and looking at the older stuff trying to educate myself. My ideal tractor would be the ford 1500 but I like the thought of American made and the price on the fords is more than I want to spend for what I`ll do with a Machine.
Could become a hobby too. This speedex is really in such good shape there wouldn`t be much to fix up cosmetic -wise, be worth more in original paint I would assume. If I can get it for a decent price and get started maybe. I`m gonna try to get with the owner soon and will post what I find out.

#11 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 09:07 PM

I found a picture of one on the cover a sales brochure from when we were a Speedex dealer in the early to mid 80's.  It looks to me like it is an 18 hp twin cyl. version of the 1632.  If it is then it most likely has the sliding engine for the clutch, but thats not a big deal. I have a 1630 which is a little smaller with that type of setup and it works fine for me as long as I dont just mash the pedal all the way down in high gear otherwise it will pull whellies.  The transmission is a Borg-Warner T-92 like the Power Kings have.  The look of the rear end is deciveing as it actually drives both wheels but looks like it only drives one.  Inside the housing is a differential like any other rear end.  As long as you dont try to make it do the work of like a 1500 Ford all day every day it should last you a long time without any issues.  I included a pic from the cover of the brochure.  Is it the same as what youre looking at?  Hope this helps.    Stewart

20130919_220547.jpg

• SamMC and SNUFFY have said thanks

#12 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 07:06 AM

D-nut, that's pretty nice big rig. Would bet that the clutch is just belt tightener tho on that late of model??? Wonder if the info sight has a manual to download for this model??  That would clear up the questions.....maybe! You were a dealer?  Have any info on the Eagle and Falcon models?  They were built near end and offered in stick or hydro versions. Would like to find a Falcon.

#13 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 11:33 AM

D-nut, that's pretty nice big rig. Would bet that the clutch is just belt tightener tho on that late of model??? Wonder if the info sight has a manual to download for this model??  That would clear up the questions.....maybe! You were a dealer?  Have any info on the Eagle and Falcon models?  They were built near end and offered in stick or hydro versions. Would like to find a Falcon.

I should of thought of checking there last night.  I just did and they list one for a 1732 but thats a completly different animal with a shaft drive and clutch.  I asked my dad about them and he said as far as he cam remember they were the same as the 1632 just with a twin engine.  I looked through the binder with all the Speedex stuff we have and I didnt see anything for the Eagle and Falcon models.  I think we were done selling them before they came out as we only sold them for about 4 years or so and my dad and uncle didnt know about the anniversary model that came out in 85 till I bought one at a show years ago.  I can look and see if the Speedex rep we had is still around and might have anything on them but I'm not sure how long that will take.      Stewart

#14 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 03:11 PM

I found a picture of one on the cover a sales brochure from when we were a Speedex dealer in the early to mid 80's.  It looks to me like it is an 18 hp twin cyl. version of the 1632.  If it is then it most likely has the sliding engine for the clutch, but thats not a big deal. I have a 1630 which is a little smaller with that type of setup and it works fine for me as long as I dont just mash the pedal all the way down in high gear otherwise it will pull whellies.  The transmission is a Borg-Warner T-92 like the Power Kings have.  The look of the rear end is deciveing as it actually drives both wheels but looks like it only drives one.  Inside the housing is a differential like any other rear end.  As long as you dont try to make it do the work of like a 1500 Ford all day every day it should last you a long time without any issues.  I included a pic from the cover of the brochure.  Is it the same as what youre looking at?  Hope this helps.    Stewart
attachicon.gif20130919_220547.jpg

That's it D`nut...the paint may be more a primer type color of red but that`s the tractor. After looking at some manuals I see where the rear drive is for both wheels.
When I first stopped to look at it I was expecting a used up piece of crap but it is in amazingly in good shape and appears all original.
Got any idea what these would sell for ???

#15 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 04:22 PM

The paint may have faded over the years to make it look like that.  If its in real nice shape and you can get it to run by putting some gas down the carb, I'd guess a price somewhere between $400-$1000 would be fair depending on what it has for attachments.  If it doesn't run or just sputters a little and dies and doesnt have any attachments I wouldnt want to spend to much on it because you have no way of knowing if theres any problems.  Another thing to look at is the brakes because those came with a hydraulic setup and from what I've heard about them they have a tendency to seize up the master cylinders.  And just for laughs I looked in the old price lists that we have at work and it lists that tractor and the original price on it was $3895 and the price list is dated 4/15/84.  Just for comparison I bought a 1630 with a partial mower and snow plow that had the lift cobbed on for $400 but it ran and its smaller than this one.       Stewart