29 replies to this topic

#16 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 06:31 AM

Here are two videos for Brian.  This is the plow I got from you in action.  Naturally, I caught the ONLY time it clogged the whole day on video LOL!

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

And here is a more typical action from the plow.  No problems other than rough ground and heavy going.

http://www.youtube.c...Z1or5U9TyqoAgqg

• Texas Deere and Horse and Sawdust have said thanks

#17 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5587
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 08:25 AM

Here are some more pics. I'm trying to do this from my phone. I just moved, so I don't have Internet at the new place yet

Brian, yes that was Howard in my first set of pics. Actually the first 2 pics. On the Cub and Massey.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, HowardsMF155 and 1 other said thanks

#18 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 08:33 AM

Round 3 of pics.

In the 4th pic, of the Cub, that tractor has a 27hp electronic fuel injection engine under the hood. He was just above idle the whole time he was plowing. That thing was super smooth, and quiet!!

The last pic here is of my buddy Todd from GA. Goes by Oak on the forums. He got high centered, so we had to have a photo of it. If you get stuck, or run out of gas, you'll be on the Internet for sure! Lol

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#19 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 10:08 AM

Guys it was a pleasure to meet David.  He recognized me first and came over and introduced himself.  That nice looking Massey 12 is his, he did a great job on it, I would have liked to see him plowing with it.  I can certainly understand not wanting to get such a pretty tractor messed up though!

David, I greatly appreciate you taking those pictures.  I certainly wanted to get more than I did, but having my kids on the tractors and then wanting to take the occasional turn around myself didn't seem to leave me with much time to take pictures!  Also, my wife thanks you, she kept wanting to know when I was going to be in the pictures, so your photos let her see hubby in action.  Did you get any pictures of my boy showering me with dirt, or was that a "you had to be there to see it" moment?  Better yet, any pics of me playing counterweight for my son?

#20 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 10:31 AM

Thanks Howard. It was def nice meeting you and the boys as well. It's always nice to be able to put a face with the names on here. I can't take any credit for my Massey. That's still the original paint. Credit goes to the factory. And the previous, original, owner. He took impeccable care of it, and I'm proud to own such a well preserved piece. It's exactly how I got it from him, minus the deck, so I won't be adding anything to it like a hitch. It's just my cruiser.

That's all the pics I got. My phone camera died so I didn't get any more. The dirt slinging was enjoyable to watch. I got a good laugh watching you get a clay shower.
  • KennyP said thank you

#21 scuffy727 OFFLINE  

scuffy727

• Contributor
  • Member No: 601
  • 131 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 07:03 PM

Wow looked like a lot of fun.  David I wished I've could have made it up there.  I've been home with my sick son (ear infection).   

#22 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 10:19 PM

Heath, I hate to hear that about your son. Hope he gets well soon. Maybe you can make it next year. Will you head up to Arden next month?

#23 vince_o OFFLINE  

vince_o
  • Member No: 25799
  • 15 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 04:34 AM

Howard is was great to meet you and the kids. Plow days are a blast even if you need pontoons under your tractor, or plowing a hay field. Hope to see you at another one one day. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Charolette NC Sept 27-27, 2013 PLOW DAY 058.jpg
  • Charolette NC Sept 27-27, 2013 PLOW DAY 070.jpg
  • Charolette NC Sept 27-27, 2013 PLOW DAY 087.jpg
  • Charolette NC Sept 27-27, 2013 PLOW DAY 091.jpg
  • Charolette NC Sept 27-27, 2013 PLOW DAY 126.jpg
  • Charolette NC Sept 27-27, 2013 PLOW DAY 167.jpg

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#24 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 05:38 AM

Looks like everyone had a blast ! Thanks for all the pics ,

#25 scuffy727 OFFLINE  

scuffy727

• Contributor
  • 131 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 06:38 PM

Most likely yes on the Arden trip, and looking forward to next year.

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 06:46 PM

One thing I can't figure out! You put a stack on the tractor, then wear earmuffs so you can't hear it?

#27 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 07:27 PM

One thing I can't figure out! You put a stack on the tractor, then wear earmuffs so you can't hear it?

Kenny, I put a MUFFLER on that engine and it isn't as quiet as I would like.  For my boys particularly, and myself as well, I insist on wearing hearing protection.  I want to hear my grandkids, not read their lips!

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#28 vince_o OFFLINE  

vince_o
  • Member No: 25799
  • 15 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 05:28 AM

I put a stack on my 106, found about 10 new ones at the bota dealer I work at and its loud. I have my kids where ear protection so they dont turn out like me. When I stripped coal and worked in the stone quarries I never wore any. Today I wish I had. Also wish I had listened to the old timers when Id jump down off the tracks of a D9. Then I would have hearing and knees! But the work tunes muffs I have are nice. They let you hear the motor or hydo of like an excovator and still listen to you music. Now if I coun=ld get them with sirus radio, Id be JAMMIN!

HEath what day are you going to Ardin? I dont think I have enough to go up and sell this year, my just go as a spectator. Im trying to get Chris and Sammy, the wheel horse guys to come also. 

#29 scuffy727 OFFLINE  

scuffy727

• Contributor
  • 131 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 09:09 PM

I will probably go that Saturday.

#30 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 05:22 PM

Thought I would post this update here, since my tractor "broke" at the plow day.  To refresh, after plowing for an hour or so, I noticed smoke coming from the pulley side of the tractor engine.  I had my son take it off to park it, followed him and looked and saw the choke cable had fallen against the positve wire on the starter solenoid, directly under the gas tank and was red hot and smoking.  This was extremely frightening because I can't get the gas cap to really seal well on the tank so it comes out under the lid, and when it is really bad, gas will drip off the tank onto the footboard - and the starter solenoid is right there in the middle of all this.

So today I finally took some time to look at the damage and see what I could do to fix it.  The choke cable was burned in two, and the wire for the headlights had about 4 inches of melted insulation from being routed with the choke cable.  I had to remove the gas tank to get behind the dash to replace the choke cable, so I decided I'd try to fix as much as possible while I was working on it.  

I had a spare choke control, so that wasn't much of a problem.  However, not wanting the same thing to happen again, I drilled a hole in the edge of the dash tower and routed the choke cable through it, safely away from the starter solenoid.

ge 002.JPG ge 003.JPG

ge 004.JPG

As for the fuel tank, a few years ago I bought a Tecumseh 10 hp with a plastic fuel tank and ended up removing the fuel tank.  I pulled it out, checked it against the existing fuel tank, and it was close to being the same height and width as the old one, it just wasn't as long, being about 3/4 as long as the original.  As I said to my boys, "a full tank that doesn't leak is better than a bigger tank that leaks when it's full".  So I used some angle iron to replace the original tank mount, then drilled my holes carefully to mount the angle iron on the upright bracket between battery and the fuel tank.  Clearance was very tight with regards to the hood, and the tank does not rest flat on the support plate the old tank rested on.  For the hood, I ground off a tab on top of the gas cap that was standing up about 1/4 inch.  To provide support on the bottom, I used some JBWeld epoxy steel to make two flat supports between the tank and the old gas tank support plate.  Everything looks very solid, so after waiting an hour I put gas in the tank and drove the tractor around some, even dragging my disc through my garden some.

ge 001.JPG ge 007.JPG

ge 009.JPG

• sacsr said thank you