#1 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5587
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted September 17, 2013 - 09:04 PM

Hey guys.  Nothing like some short notice, but any thing helps.  I know there are some local guys on here that could make it. 

The Dixie Turf Toys will be sponsoring/hosting a Tractor Show, swap meet, and Plow Day.  It will be held at Riverbend Farm, just like last year.  I think there was around 40-50 show tractors, and I think 20 guys plowing.  My numbers might be little off, but you get the picture.  They have sprayed the fields so there is nothing growing, and there is plenty of land to plow again.  I would assume, just like last year, that you can camp, but its primitive.  Closest hotels are about 20 min away, in each direction.

The show and plow day will be on September 27th and 28th.  The plowing will be on Saturday morning. 

I think there will be one vendor there selling food. 

Exhibitors, and Plow-ers get in free. 

Door prizes given away daily.

Here is a thread on the Cub site that has a few pics from last year.  http://onlycubcadets...ead.php?t=20164

Here is the address:
Riverbend Farm
12150 McManus Rd, Midland, NC
Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks
David

• Texas Deere and Horse and sacsr have said thanks

#2 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 25, 2013 - 07:16 PM

Ok, right now I am planning to come to this, I refuse to allow school work to overide this plow day this time.  I plan on bringing two Massey 12's two plows, and an uncertain number of kids.  Barring catastrophic equipment failure, I'm there!

• Texas Deere and Horse and mowinman2 have said thanks

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 25, 2013 - 07:28 PM

Howard, I want to see photos of both those plows throwing dirt. Have fun, we did last weekend!!

#4 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted September 25, 2013 - 07:41 PM

Wish I could make it! I have plans for the weekend so no way to make it. Take pictures please. Hopefully next year I will be able to make it! Have fun!

#5 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted September 25, 2013 - 08:39 PM

Howard, hopefully you can make it, and I can finally meet you. I plan to be there Friday and Saturday, but not plowing. I'll just bring my Massey 12 and Hesston. I sold my plow tractor a couple months ago. There will be things for the kids to do besides watch plowing. This is a nice place to have an event. I wish there was more advertising done for it.

There will be plenty of pictures for all to see!
  • KennyP and sacsr have said thanks

#6 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 07:44 PM

Ok, rented a U-haul trailer to make my life easier, now I have two Masseys loaded, one a hydro, the other one geared.  Two Brinly 10 inch plows, a gas can and a number of tools and spares.  Planning to head out between 5 and 6 tomorrow morning to arrive between 8 and 9.

• sacsr said thank you

#7 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 08:40 PM

Hope y'all have a great time!

#8 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 05:10 PM

Howard got caught testing the waters on Vince_O's super cub. We had a blast today. I'll get more pics on later.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by mowinman2, September 28, 2013 - 05:13 PM.

• DH1, Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 06:18 PM

Can't wait to see more, it looks like the plowing was going good. Is that Howard on his MF in the second photo?

#10 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 07:36 PM

So it turns out that when you show up with two tractors and two kids, you stay kind of busy!  Didn't help that the 12 G nearly had an electrical/gas fire when the choke cable found it's way onto the positive terminal of the starter solenoid.  Had this tractor for 2 years now, not quite sure what went wrong.  The only visible damage is that the choke cable is melted IN TWO!!  I'll have to pull some things apart to see if there is other damage that isn't so visible.

Attached Thumbnails

• GE 001.JPG
  • GE 002.JPG
  • GE 003.JPG
  • GE 004.JPG
  • GE 005.JPG
  • GE 006.JPG

• powerking56, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#11 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 07:41 PM

Brian, the last pic is your plow, it polished up nicely.  I'll add more later.

Attached Thumbnails

• GE 007.JPG
  • GE 014.JPG
  • GE 015.JPG
  • GE 027.JPG
  • GE 035.JPG
  • GE 036.JPG
  • GE 037.JPG

• powerking56, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 2 others have said thanks

#12 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 09:33 PM

I hope that plow worked good for you. I had the same thing happen a couple months ago when my choke cable found it's way to the positive post on the battery.

#13 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 10:24 PM

I hope that plow worked good for you. I had the same thing happen a couple months ago when my choke cable found it's way to the positive post on the battery.

Brian, it worked great.  I've got some video uploading to youtube, probably won't be able to post it here till tomorrow.  Post #11, the top middle picture is your plow in the dirt.  Minimal adjustment to get it dialed in.  The biggest problem was the conditions we were plowing under.  

The area we had to plow in was somewhat like a bowl, so as you finished up on one end, you were also trying to plow uphill.  The field hadn't been tilled in several years and so it was heavy sod and heavy red clay.  I didn't really have any trouble plowing, but my younger son who was using this tractor was about 100 lbs lighter than me.  Plus, he really needed a more delicate touch on the speed control handle.  More than once, he'd just shove the speed control forward when he should have just nudged it a bit, and suddenly the uphill wheel would start spinning.  I had to adjust the plow so it took the smallest bite possible, so I'm glad I took your advice and already had the yoke switched around so that it was easy to do.  I'm hoping David may have grabbed some shots of me hanging off the footboards on the uphill side to add weight until I could get things dialed in and get #2 son trained to follow the furrow and go easy on the controls.

The geared Massey did a great job until the choke cable started to melt down.  My oldest drove it around the field a number of times.  That plow was set to the middle hole of the yoke, but turned in the opposite direction, so it was taking a slightly larger than standard bite.  But it had the ATV tires on it, and for the most part, they seemed to do a really good job of moving the tractor forward.  

This was the first plow day for both boys.  Neither one had ever really done much if any plowing before.  By the end of the day, both boys were exceedingly glad they had come, and I think they will look forward to the next one.

I'd like to thank Vince-O for letting me drive his Cub.  Nice machine, but half the time I was totally confused about where all the controls were and how they operated LOL!  I'll move up to a larger tractor some day, but it will be a Massey!!  Great meeting everyone to, had some nice conversations with several people.  

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#14 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 10:35 PM

It's really amazing to me how well those turfs and chains pull a plow, I would have never thought they'd do as well if not better then Ag's. Glad to hear the boys had so much fun, it's nice to get the next generation going in the hobby.

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,436 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 06:03 AM

Aren't plow days fun? Thanks to all for the pics. I'm ready for another one!