• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 old149 OFFLINE  

old149
  • Member No: 35925
  • 38 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 - 07:01 PM

I want to tractor pull with a 76 gilson I think that is the year  It has a 16 hp briggs and stratton single flat head or I could put in a 16 hp briggs and stratton twin flat head or a 16 h p onen

The reared is big with drivline and stick shift 

Any inputs would be highly grateful 

old149

P S why don't you see gilson pullers?

Attached Thumbnails

• gilson  and judy room 022.JPG

• Dieselcubmike, JRJ and Sawdust have said thanks

#2 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,295 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 - 07:33 PM

P S why don't you see gilson pullers?

Because they're shaft drive back to a right angle gear box and then a single Belt down to the transaxle.

They pull very well but gears for that gear box are getting hard to find.That's the weakest part and that is where it will break.

I've seen a BUNCH of older Hydro Gilsons pulling but only a couple gear drive.Unless you were to stuff a Cub Cadet transaxle in it I would think you would start breaking gear boxes.

Those cast iron 16hp Single cylinder engines are MONSTERS.32 CU IN engine 3.562 bore and 3.250 stroke.They were rated at a modest 16hp and 25.8 ft/lbs of torque at 2700 RPM. 

Edited by EricFromPa, September 16, 2013 - 07:37 PM.

• rustyoldjunk, A.C.T. and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#3 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted September 17, 2013 - 12:31 AM

I agree with eric. Best thing you could do it not have to break anything on it. Parts are very hard to find. Cubs and sears and wheel horses are easier to work with though im a cub man myself but its all up to the person with their own preference. Cubs have the true driveshaft rearend that's why a lot of pullers go with them and theres tons of aftermarket parts all the time.

• Sawdust said thank you

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 17, 2013 - 08:51 AM

Back in the old days of drag racing there was an adage" Run What You Brung". If you really want to run the Gilson, do it.

It seems to me in the Stock Classes especially it comes down more to driving technque and track reading.

And Running what you have and can afford will get you exposed to the game and learn what is competetive.

As was said it would be much easier to run a Cadet, Sears or Wheelhorse like everyone else.

But do your thing.

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#5 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 163 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted September 17, 2013 - 10:50 AM

Ditto on the gear box, those tractors are often mistaken for shaft drive.  They are also hard to adapt other engines because the oil pan is part of the frame and is also the axle pivot.  I would not trade my MW 16 s for the world, awesome stock power and fuel efficient for work.  The Briggs is limited in hop up potential, though, due to the valves being parallel to the bore instead of canted like a K series Kohler.

• Dieselcubmike and superaben have said thanks

#6 old149 OFFLINE  

old149
  • Member No: 35925
  • 38 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted December 19, 2014 - 06:59 PM

It hase been a long time since I have posted Times have changed we never had a pulling club here. Just big tractor after 4 years begging and caroling on my knees they are going to bring the small sled so I started a club we run stock and modified stock I hope and pray that this will get off the ground.

I did build a puller out of a ropper with a 18 hp Onan am almost finished with a cub 100 thay are painted the same we are a club of old men and middle age women the oldest 92 the youngest 55 we are strickly made in the U S A And varyi patriot. And we are in a lot of parades. My goals are farther and son or daughter. Thank you for listening this from my iPad and can't download pictures. Old 149
  • Sawdust said thank you