• Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 - 05:48 PM

Building Your Own Generator

The Lawnmower Generator

http://theepicenter.com/tow082099.html

:watch_over_fence:

Stumbled across this and knowing the creative types around here., was wondering who might've done or seen this before and what would the feasibility pro /cons...

• MH81, hamman, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 - 06:46 PM

To me it makes much more sense to just have a normal AC generator.   In the case of this home brew set, a large inverter can cost as much as a complete genset.  Both have gasoline engines which have to be kept up, so there's nothing at all to gain by building your own, and likely would cost much more, especially if matching inverter capacity to a normal genset.  Having a smaller inverter is a good idea to own, just in case the genset failed.  But you can hook the inverter to your car's battery, then run an extension cord where you need it.

• boyscout862 and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 - 06:58 PM

I have used the 10si to convert many older 6vdc tractors to 12v, but I don't see a major upside with this unless you are going to be running a lot of 12v light bulbs in a campsite (like the old campers) and this would charge them well.

Edit: two other reasons to build this:
1) you wnt to
2) you find a way to make the output 120vac 60hz instead of 12vdc. It's an alternator after all.
  • Newpaws493 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 - 07:01 PM

I agree with what Daniel has said. If you want to build a generator and you have a GT or 2 then get an AC generator head from Northern Tool or other suppliers and fab a mount to run it off of the tractor PTO. If you need less HP than you have in your GT you can gear it so that the generator is turning at 3600 when the tractor engine is at, say 2700rpms. This will save you fuel and wear and tear on the engine and will also be much quieter.  I think that is a much more practical and fun project. 

• Newpaws493 said thank you

#5 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 - 08:10 PM

If I remember correctly, you could just bypass the bridge rectifier and get direct AC current from a alternator.

Adjusting drive speed would determine the actual voltage/hertz.

You might not be able to get a full 110-120 volts, but a transformer could be made to give the voltage you need at the correct frequency.

resulting current output would depend on the above values and the quality of the transformer.

The nice thing about using auto alternators is the cost. you can buy them cheap from u pull it yards, and rebuild kits are available, if you know where to look.

Edited by Chopperhed, September 16, 2013 - 08:12 PM.

• boyscout862 and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#6 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 17, 2013 - 04:25 AM

Agree with the rest of the bunch....Low power output for the amount of time & effort.

It would be ok for running my HAM radio in an emergency power outage.

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,456 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted September 17, 2013 - 05:36 AM

I'e never done a seperate engine but in the early eighties at work we had aftermarket kits for our GMC vans  that you would take the alt. off and if I remember correctly cut the metal to seperate the regulator then attachet the kit ( boy I widh I could remember better lol) inside that van . it had a switch in one position it would charge the vehicle normaly the other position would feed  one 120v outlet , we had installed hand throttles to rasie the rpm's , a indicator light lite when 110v was reached .  Nothing you would want to use very long but in a pinch , even then once battery tools really came on the seen we never installed them again . On some trucks now they get inverters and an extra battery but the cost of all that is pretty $$ . On my service truck there is an SST130 set up , it looks like those aren't made any more to show you all but it's kind of like what we put in the vans but a complete system , you can even stick  weld with it !! Here's something thats made that's just like it though ( maybe they where bought out by them  ? )

http://www.premierpowerwelder.com/

Forgot to mention the SST makes 120VDC and I think the vans we did also . Any power tools would need to be labled ac/dc , 

Edited by Alc, September 17, 2013 - 05:47 AM.

• sacsr, boyscout862 and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted September 17, 2013 - 06:08 AM

Our scoutmasters Toyota pickup came with a power outlet built into the truck bed. I agree with the above comments that these alternater/generators are not a good idea. Good Luck, Rick

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 17, 2013 - 10:54 AM

To me it makes much more sense to just have a normal AC generator.   In the case of this home brew set, a large inverter can cost as much as a complete genset.  Both have gasoline engines which have to be kept up, so there's nothing at all to gain by building your own, and likely would cost much more, especially if matching inverter capacity to a normal genset.  Having a smaller inverter is a good idea to own, just in case the genset failed.  But you can hook the inverter to your car's battery, then run an extension cord where you need it.

I agree with Daniel. My first experience with an Inverter was a few weeks ago, before we got the power straightened out at the hose I was tearing down. I used a friends inverter on my pickup. It worked grat for running power tools. I will have one to hook to my pickup for running power tools remote on my acreage,

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 17, 2013 - 12:21 PM

I can see pro and con's to something like this.  I would thing though that if you have some acreage and you had to do some maintenance where power wasn't available and you had something like this set up on a tractor it might be handy.  I don't think I would use it in an emergency like an ice storm or something.

Years ago a friend and I contracted to a company in Birmingham AL. once in a while we would have to go over for a meeting or presentation.  We as we drove over we would work on the laptop's finalizing what ever and we would use an inverter to charge our laptops as we drove.  I worked out quite well because the laptops were fully charged when we got there and would the batteries would last the length of the meeting. 

#11 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 17, 2013 - 04:27 PM

I'e never done a seperate engine but in the early eighties at work we had aftermarket kits for our GMC vans  that you would take the alt. off and if I remember correctly cut the metal to seperate the regulator then attachet the kit ( boy I widh I could remember better lol) inside that van . it had a switch in one position it would charge the vehicle normaly the other position would feed  one 120v outlet , we had installed hand throttles to rasie the rpm's , a indicator light lite when 110v was reached .  Nothing you would want to use very long but in a pinch , even then once battery tools really came on the seen we never installed them again . On some trucks now they get inverters and an extra battery but the cost of all that is pretty $$ . On my service truck there is an SST130 set up , it looks like those aren't made any more to show you all but it's kind of like what we put in the vans but a complete system , you can even stick  weld with it !! Here's something thats made that's just like it though ( maybe they where bought out by them  ? )

http://www.premierpowerwelder.com/

Forgot to mention the SST makes 120VDC and I think the vans we did also . Any power tools would need to be labled ac/dc , 

Now that you brought this up, I remember having one of these also. The problem is the truck was running on battery while the alt was feeding the 120 VAC plug. The battery would discharge, engine die and I would be stranded and couldn't even use the CB radio to call for help....Yeah, this was in 1973 or 74.

It also was really hard on the power drills and saws....had a tendency to burn up the brushes...

#12 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 08:02 PM

Ive seen this built before and used to charge heavy duty marine batteries, then to an invertor. Worked well to run led work lights, and some battery chargers for dewalt cordless stuff.

I never seen it used long term, but it seemed to work ok.