• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#46 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 07:42 PM

Consumer reports and I don't always agree. In the late 90's they listed RCA as the number two most reliable TV brand... We had a documented repair rate of 80+ % within 5 years.

IDK if non CR members can see it, but I'm going to go look.

Edit
the awn532 is the closest unit to the 432 that they tested. If you read the reviews non subscribers are allowed to see' they are mainly 5 star.
Two of the three tests they list (I'm not a CR member, so I can't see the whole report) are water usage and energy efficiency.

I cannot see anything about the repair history ratings. Wonder if those were bought by people who werent near a service center?

I think the model I am getting is the 432.

• LilysDad said thank you

#47 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 08:45 PM

I'm a little too late but here's some models that might have been good choices if you wanted one with a few less thrills and electronics

Attached Thumbnails

• P5070481.JPG
  • P5070482.JPG
  • P5070483.JPG
  • P5070487.JPG
  • P5070489.JPG
  • P5070490.JPG

• MH81, LilysDad and dodge trucker have said thanks

#48 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 12:46 PM

I bought a new Ge washing machine about 6-7 years ago. I havent had a problem with it but my wife doesnt seem to be able to get it to spin all the water out every time. So today we went to get another washing machine. We went with Speed Queen awn412. It was sitting next to the GE, Whrilpools,etc.. sitting side by side it looked rather plain jane as compared to the latest and greatest. No bells, no light, no touch screen. just a couple of knobs. I like this, bells and whistles break and can be expensive to fix. Then you lift the lid, grab the agitator and give the tub a shake. The SQ, you had to use some pressure to move the tub. All the others, the slightest touch made the tub move. I am sure the SQ can handle an unbalanced load better than the others.

The SQ comes with a 3 year parts and labor warranty on the machine and a 15 year warranty on the transmission. The others, 1 year parts and labor and they dont really have a transmission. I purchased the unit from a Mom and Pops store about an hour away. They gave us a great price, so great we ended up getting a new SQ dryer too. The dryer has the same look and feel as the washer. All the stuff I said about the washer applies to the dryer too. They didnt deliver because we are so far away but I believe he gave us a better deal because we did drive an hour to his place.

So know I am waiting on Hunny Bunny to get the laundry room cleaned out so I can move the old ones out and put the new ones in. Once thats done I might even get to work on my 1650 diesel conversion (thats what I was supposed to be doing today but me and my big mouth told her to get her a new washing machine last night when she was complaining about the old one)

PS: Went with MH81 recommendation on the speed queen, so if mama dont like it, its all his fault. :bigrofl:

• MH81, Alc and dodge trucker have said thanks

#49 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 09:56 PM

PS: Went with MH81 recommendation on the speed queen, so if mama dont like it, its all his fault. :bigrofl:

no habla ingles...

I still believe it's the best product out there right now... and the countdown has begun.  these units will no longer be available by the end of this year because of mandates.  You got yours just in time. :thumbs:

• coldone said thank you

#50 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • Member No: 51445
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 10:16 PM

MH81, from our previous posts if you remember, you know that i am very frustrated with the Maytag Epic Z fron loader that i bought about 6 years ago.(basically, its a piece of junk). 

Here is my question:

If I go and buy a Speed Queen in a week or two, do you think they will continue good support as far as parts and repairs for a few years?

I am ready to take a hammer to the Maytag. LOL. 

#51 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 10:58 PM

Long story short, this afternoon didnt go as I planned. First load of laundry, towels, machine is super quiet, fast and when the spin cycle was done the towels were pretty damp but not wet. So far we both are very impressed.

Thanks Alan!

• MH81 said thank you

#52 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 11:01 PM

MH81, from our previous posts if you remember, you know that i am very frustrated with the Maytag Epic Z fron loader that i bought about 6 years ago.(basically, its a piece of junk). 

Here is my question:

If I go and buy a Speed Queen in a week or two, do you think they will continue good support as far as parts and repairs for a few years?

I am ready to take a hammer to the Maytag. LOL.

The rep seemed sincere when he said they plan on having parts for these for many years. Many of the parts are the same as the coin OP jobs at laundry mats, so they should be at least decent for availability.
  • coldone and dodge trucker have said thanks

#53 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 10:21 PM

reviving an ancient thread.  The SQ washer 15 months in, and so far so good.

BUUUT  I got a call today at work saying that the dryer (the left over Whirlpool Cabrio from our last set) would not dry, after 2+ hours, the clothes were just as damp/wet as they were when put into the dryer. I called my son hoping he'd be around (nope... girlfriend--grrrr) and he had been home and gone, but had restarted the dryer before he left.  I got home about 40 min later and still running (well the drum was turning) but certainly not dry in the least; so before I even got to sit down and eat I pulled it out and checked the vent, vacuumed it all out; tried the machine with no vent connected; the fire wasn't lighting (gas dryer)  So I took it all apart (taking drum out only way to get to ignitor on this stupid piece o' crap) and vacuumed everything as I went, cleaned electronic eye (flame sensor)  and checked the ignitor; something I have had my share of issues with on my furnace... No burnt spot and the ohm meter wavered between 68-70 ohms... so it isnt blown... put it all back together hoping that something was just "dirty" and it would fire off and work... drum spins, timer works, but no heat. At the moment IDK if it is a limit switch or the gas valve... so it is going away,

I guess I get to call the local Mom and Pop appliance place that I got the washer from and see if they have a SQ gas dryer in stock to match this washer that I bought from them..... not what I want at Christmas.... great,

• Alc said thank you

#54 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted December 10, 2014 - 07:52 AM

Gs dryer, not lighting. With your volt meter, check to see if there is any voltage being sent to the igniter.
My knee jerk guess is that it won't. And someone turned the timer backwards.

While the timing sucks, I would say your game plan is the best plan of action. The SQ dryer is a well built piece too.

As an addendum; we are down to the last couple of weeks they are allowed to manufacturer these washers. So glad our govt is saving us from ourselves and forcing us to buy things we don't want by removing the other options.
  • Alc and dodge trucker have said thanks

#55 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted December 10, 2014 - 10:52 PM

the timer on this old Cabrio dryer isnt like the ones on older (yet) machines, no "clicks" or "ratcheting" like on those...

definitely electronic instead of electro/mechanical. and yes I agree about probably no juice getting to ignitor.  but (refresh my memory) if gas valve isnt sensing any input (gas) or at least the wires coming off that valve not sending a "signal" that it has gas there it won't allow power to ignitor?? YES it does have gas going to it. same line as my furnace and water heater and they still work fine. at this point, my bet is on the gas valve having gone bad. will have new dryer tomorrow afternoon.  My wife had our kid take 2 loads of wet clothes to his girlfriend's house today. that wont work for long and 33* daytime highs will not work very well to use the clothesline this time of year either....

#56 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 02:07 AM

Quite often, the coils for the valves are available, if that's what's wrong. You should be able to find testing procedures for them online.
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#57 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 12:00 PM

After hearing the luck (lack of) the kids are having with their newer appliances we have decided to keep our old Maytag's going as long as possible. We purchased them in the 80's and they lasted through the family of six and are still going strong. Belts, couple of timers, and water level controls have kept them going. The dryer has needed two heating elements. The only bad Maytag we had was a newer refrigerator that was total junk. The nice thing is parts are available on line for reasonable prices and a lot of times are factory parts. 

My advice is if you have an older set like this I'd try and keep them running. Your never going to find anything that is built half as good in today's market. 

• oldedeeres and dodge trucker have said thanks

#58 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 06:13 PM

Quite often, the coils for the valves are available, if that's what's wrong. You should be able to find testing procedures for them online.

don't matter now, that machine is gone  new SQ dryer in its spot;  

#59 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 07:59 PM

Alan,

The wife and I have often talked about getting a new top load washer and dryer. Currently have cheaper front loaders that were here when we bought the place. Never been a fan of the front loaders. How long do you think the Speed Queens would be available for? I know you mentioned they can't manufacture them any longer at the end of this year. I don't know if it would be the same as other items where inventory would still be available even after they stop producing them.

• MH81 said thank you

#60 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 10:29 PM

I know you mentioned they can't manufacture them any longer at the end of this year.

I think I missed something. :wallbanging:     What is not going to be available anymore?