• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,242 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 07:56 PM

Yep, I run into the same things on fridges. Everything "energy star" now has a microprocessor board to handle the simplest tasks in a fridge. When the board goes out, its usually $300-$500 for the board. The fridge only cost $600-$800. Cant really justify a repair on it. I tell my customers to avoid the energy star at all cost.

I agree, why they had to get rid of timers, I have no idea.

Never seen a defrost timer I didnt like... :thumbs: they were easy to replace and keep a customer happy.

Estar in concept was a good intention... In reality, it wastes far more energy in Unrepairable units than it'll ever save.
  • LilysDad said thank you

#32 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 08:53 PM

When the board goes out, its usually $300-$500 for the board. The fridge only cost $600-$800. Cant really justify a repair on it.

Now we are getting to my big gripe! Ripping off customers with high priced replacement parts because they want them to buy a new model. What is that board really worth, $50-75??? You can buy a laptop for $300. This isn't limited to appliances. I had a '76 Goldwing that should have lasted forever, but the parts cost more than the bike was worth. This is closely followed by sealed units that are unserviceable. Sealed bearing? Really!

• MH81, oldedeeres and dodge trucker have said thanks

#33 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 05:50 AM

I wonder if it's worth getting a whole house surge protector since it seems everthing has some type of computer built in . I know not every utilty will let  you put one of these on the meter pan http://www.metertrea...y_Products.html

There are ones that mount near the panel box too http://www.leviton.c...&minisite=10251

Would like to hear from others who might know about thses things

Just found out a little more , it seems the ones mounted at the meter pan would only take care of the lines coming into the house so say your well pump gets hits and travels back into the house the ones mount on your breaker panel would that that surge , at least what I was told

Edited by Alc, September 19, 2013 - 07:33 AM.

• MH81, LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#34 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 08:06 AM

I believe, if I remember the # is 20050 When compared to the low end effieciency model it's annual power number is 50 compared to 16.

Does anyone know if you can still get a new wringer washer? Don't they still sell them to the Amish and the Third World?

I know that Maytag made them to ship to the third world and places that had water shortages up into the early 80s.

In the early 90's my inlaws wintered in the Valley Alamo/Mc Allen Texas area. My father-in Law went down into Mexico Metamoros? and did handyman work at an orphanage. Their old Maytag Ringer machine needed parts(He had built them at the Factory).

He contacted one of his Bosses at Maytag(looking for parts), and they shipped the last two units in the warehouse to him(as a donation) to deliver to the Orphanage.

So as far as I know, there have not been any Maytag Ringer machines available since..

Edited by JD DANNELS, September 19, 2013 - 08:09 AM.

• LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#35 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 10:40 AM

If you find a ringer washer that needs a motor rumor has it there is a gas wash machine engine going on a GT in WV  lol

• MH81 said thank you

#36 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 11:31 PM

I know I'm getting cynical in my old age, but I stay as far away as possible from "new and improved". It may well be new, but it sure as heck isn't improved --- how can it be when "new" implies that it hasn't existed before, hence cannot be "improved". But maybe I'm just nit picking, lol
  • MH81, Alc and dodge trucker have said thanks

#37 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 10:34 PM

well, we had to buy a new washer today// our Whirlpool Cabrio is sounding horrible again and our service policy is expired...I usually don't pay for extended warranties but on that machine we did as I was afraid of the electronics... knowing a timer on a "regular" machine often costs more than the machine is worth to repair by that point... we didn't have problems with that but we did have several pumps replaced and I cant remember what all else.  we bought the Speed Queen,,,  not the 412 but the next one up just like it but with the extra rinse... figured that would be good with all the dirt grease and grunge my son and I dredge up...

shortly after we got married, the house we bought then,  came with (at the time) a nearly new "cheapest set Sears sold" washer and dryer  (this in 92) We moved from there in summer 98 and had the house listed for sale a while, had money down on our current house, but couldn't move til the old one sold; we bought new Amana "commercial" machines for the new house, but had to pick them up and start using them like a month before we sold the old house.... brought them to our current house, and we got about 6 years from that set; just before the 5 yr fact. warranty was up I hauled it into the local appliance dealer and fought with them for a new top as the paint was peeling machine was rusting etc plus some other parts that ultimately wound up being covered by the warranty.. they almost had Amana convinced to swap it out, as repairs were close to the cost of a new one but Amana insisted on dumping parts in it.... that machine died totally like a year later. there was much said about "look; they put a stainless drum in there, they wouldn't do that on an otherwise cheap machine"   I guess we were wrong about that.

so having heard so many horror stories about the maytag Neptune of that time (now around 2005)  which was to have been our 1st choice because of all the older Maytag's our parents and friend's parents had that were replaced after 15+ years just because they "wanted" a new machine... I guess this was a sign of laundry equip "not being made how they used to" with all the complaints at the time on the neptunes,  so we went with the Whirlpool  Cabrio setup.  the dryer has been fine/ the washer has made it about 7 years with a lot of help from that maint contract.

For having paid nearly $2G's for that cabrio setup I was not impressed; 

after comments here earlier in this thread we decided to get the Speed Queen this time, just the washer at the moment... may go back for a matching  dryer once the "6 months same as cash" is paid off on the washer; but for now the dryer so far= so good...

as a kid I remember my mom's one neighbor bragging about her SQ... and how she "wanted" a new one because "it was just time" but I guess at the time no one local to where we lived was selling them....

and I agree on "new and improved"  NOT being said from a customer/consumer standpoint but from a manufacturing/bean counter standpoint, instead.   

the old machines worked fine for years for families that had 4 or more kids in the home plus Mom and Dad.... but I only have 1 kid, so there's only ever been 3 people in my house... if we had any more kids (meaning more laundry) I'm guessing we would have had to replace washers and dryers every 4-5 years instead of every 6-7 the way they make things now?   

My son's now 20, seems like it won't be too much longer and he'll be out, (not by my request LOL) so at that point,  it'll be just my wife and me... hopefully this SQ is the machine that lasts us 15+ years???

SQ does have the best warranty of any brand my local appliance place handles...

I was about to give up on new crap, and start scouting the classifieds for clean used equipment instead. just  like I do with all the gas powered stuff that passes thru here.

Edited by dodge trucker, September 21, 2013 - 10:35 PM.

• MH81, Alc and LilysDad have said thanks

#38 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 10:42 PM

Now we are getting to my big gripe! Ripping off customers with high priced replacement parts because they want them to buy a new model. What is that board really worth, $50-75??? You can buy a laptop for $300. This isn't limited to appliances. I had a '76 Goldwing that should have lasted forever, but the parts cost more than the bike was worth. This is closely followed by sealed units that are unserviceable. Sealed bearing? Really!

yup/  just like the repackable bearings on the front wheels of my 93 Dakota, that can all be replaced for about $20 a side if the need arises and can be MAINTAINED, which in and of itself cuts down the chances that anything would need to be replaced; vs the sealed hub assembly that can't be serviced, on the front of my 01 Durango  I just had to replace the driver side at a cost of $130 (there was a cheaper option, about $90 as I remember for the no name; but I prefer name brand)  because I can't take them apart to clean and repack them, to prevent that issue... next payday, i'm gonna have to spend another $130 for the hub bearing on the other side.... I hate this "throw a way world" and "global economy" we have evolved into

I like things simple, and that can be taken apart and REPAIRED without one small  part costing as much to buy as they sell the whole deal for....

• oldedeeres said thank you

#39 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,242 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted September 22, 2013 - 02:37 AM

well, we had to buy a new washer today// our Whirlpool Cabrio is sounding horrible again and our service policy is expired...I usually don't pay for extended warranties but on that machine we did as I was afraid of the electronics... knowing a timer on a "regular" machine often costs more than the machine is worth to repair by that point... we didn't have problems with that but we did have several pumps replaced and I cant remember what all else.  we bought the Speed Queen,,,  not the 412 but the next one up just like it but with the extra rinse... figured that would be good with all the dirt grease and grunge my son and I dredge up...

Here's hoping this machine outlives your expectations. If anything out there in this price range will give you the 15+, it's the brand you bought. I know of machines with the same design as the 432 that are running strong at 10 with only belts, idlers, or the occasional pump.
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#40 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted September 22, 2013 - 06:43 AM

I don't want to appear to argue or rain on Dodge Truckers parade, but I just read what Consumer Report had to say about Speed Queen. They listed them as one of the worst for repair history. Why is that?

#41 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,242 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted September 22, 2013 - 09:06 AM

Consumer reports and I don't always agree. In the late 90's they listed RCA as the number two most reliable TV brand... We had a documented repair rate of 80+ % within 5 years.

IDK if non CR members can see it, but I'm going to go look.

Edit
the awn532 is the closest unit to the 432 that they tested. If you read the reviews non subscribers are allowed to see' they are mainly 5 star.
Two of the three tests they list (I'm not a CR member, so I can't see the whole report) are water usage and energy efficiency.

I cannot see anything about the repair history ratings. Wonder if those were bought by people who werent near a service center?

• dodge trucker said thank you

#42 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted September 22, 2013 - 11:42 AM

I don't want to appear to argue or rain on Dodge Truckers parade, but I just read what Consumer Report had to say about Speed Queen. They listed them as one of the worst for repair history. Why is that?

I look at it like this; CR and the movie reviewers have  something in common; when Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert raved about a movie being so great usually it sucked.  same with CR... I have had good luck with things I later found out that they said were crap... I don't 'follow them in the least but when I was in school and had access to any mag I wanted I'd occasionally look thru one and of products that I had knowledge about, I disagreed with a lot of what they said.. they are quite nit picky and a lot of the "cons" they list were actually pretty piddly/petty...

#43 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted September 22, 2013 - 03:17 PM

I'm not sure if the repair history is based on a questionnaire of the readers or the service men.

I remember back in the day, they rated the Chevy 6 cyl truck as having a lot of trouble with chassis electronics, but not so the V8 chassis. ??? They're the same chassis!

Anyhow I just wanted to throw that out there.

• MH81, oldedeeres and dodge trucker have said thanks

#44 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,242 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted September 22, 2013 - 03:27 PM

Thanks LD.
BTW, If anyone ever finds out that I suggest something that they don't feel is the best advice, I want to know... I sleep fairly well at night knowing that I try not to give bad info and I want it to stay that way.
  • olcowhand, EricR, LilysDad and 2 others have said thanks

#45 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,230 Thanks
  • 5,071 posts

Posted September 22, 2013 - 09:04 PM

Consumer reports and I don't always agree. In the late 90's they listed RCA as the number two most reliable TV brand... We had a documented repair rate of 80+ % within 5 years.
IDK if non CR members can see it, but I'm going to go look.
Edit
the awn532 is the closest unit to the 432 that they tested. If you read the reviews non subscribers are allowed to see' they are mainly 5 star.
Two of the three tests they list (I'm not a CR member, so I can't see the whole report) are water usage and energy efficiency.
I cannot see anything about the repair history ratings. Wonder if those were bought by people who werent near a service center?

we had a rca 36 and 27 inch tvs in the late 90s. Every 5 minutes you had to smack them on the side to get the picture to stabalize. Ill never own another rca product again.
  • MH81 and Alc have said thanks