• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 10:39 PM

"from on high" mandates? Huh?

That was my way of avoiding saying what I feel like saying... So, I will say it this way.

Manufacturers have been regulated as to how much energy, water, hot water, etc their units are allowed to use... Regardless of how it affects their performance... Regardless of wether or not people want to buy an old fashioned style washer. Same with dishwashers.
  • HDWildBill, LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#17 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,622 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 - 05:34 AM

I don't have too much experince in washer but I wasn't too pleased with my Mom's Maytag ( top loader ) that was only 5 years old when the transmission went last year . She buys her applinaces at a local store that does her servicing too . They told her it wasn''t worth fixing !  Really , how much wash did my Mom do as a single person in 5 years ? We have a front load Kenmore (Wirlpool ) for a few years now  , the water level switch went bad this year but was an easy fix . I do like it as far as water use and when you take the clothes out to be put in the dryer they are just damp from the high speed spinning . I don't think my soiled work clothes get as clean but that's just me . I did find that for dirty white socks ( I think my son uses them as slipper lol )  I'll prewash quickly in the sink first then throw them in the wash by themselves with any other very dirty whites , then once they are done , leave them in and put the other whites in with them ( sheets towels ect ) this way they get wash twice and look sort of white lol

• LilysDad said thank you

#18 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,643 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 - 07:43 AM

We were figuring to buy it with our Sears account and it appears that Sears doesn't sell Speed Queen.

#19 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 - 08:29 AM

Might want to get one of these if you want simple. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379338012.559269.jpg

Then you can start a side show too and collect spare change on the corner.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379338057.646745.jpg

Now seriously.

Like some above, I've got a LG front loader. Works well and it didn't break the bank.
Got it at Home Depot at a Black Friday sale. Big discount.

#20 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 - 08:37 AM

I bought the cheapest GE washer they had at Lowes.  I think I paid 550 for it.  Pretty decent size.  I've had no issues with it.  My mom has the same model, but 8 years older still works great...

I had an old roper at my last house that was at least 20 years old.  Ran great too, I left it with the house when I sold.

http://www.lowes.com...sales_dollar|1

That is the exact one I have, I paid 550 + tax then I got a 50 dollar mail in rebate

I must say I hope you guys are having your wives type these detailed posts about washing machines LOL

Edited by toomanytoys84, September 16, 2013 - 09:56 AM.

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 - 08:38 AM

No, but Sears does sell LG.  If you need to do it thru Sears, time to go with a front loader and plan on a new machine every 7 ish years.

My opinion is not to let the salesman show you the topload LG's... they will want to because the margins are better on them, but I don't feel they do as well.

As for SQ, on that link I posted above, there is a dealer / servicer finder.  You can also call them.  1-800-552-5475

#22 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,865 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 01:36 AM

The only thing that we don't like about our front loader is that since it sits on the floor, not stacked, it is hard to see into and requires that we bend over to get clothes in and out. Not an issue, maybe, until you're over 70 like some of us are, lol

#23 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 05:46 AM

The only thing that we don't like about our front loader is that since it sits on the floor, not stacked, it is hard to see into and requires that we bend over to get clothes in and out. Not an issue, maybe, until you're over 70 like some of us are, lol

In some cases, it's nearly impossible if you have any mobility issues. If someone is looking at a FL and appear to have trouble bending over to check them out, I bring it up. You would be surprised as to how many never really considered the issue.

Risers would be the answer, but they can run $300 each (and up)... Not economically feasible for many.
  • LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#24 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 09:41 AM

In some cases, it's nearly impossible if you have any mobility issues. If someone is looking at a FL and appear to have trouble bending over to check them out, I bring it up. You would be surprised as to how many never really considered the issue.

Risers would be the answer, but they can run $300 each (and up)... Not economically feasible for many.

When we bought our Samsung machines the wife opted for the "Risers" storage drawers below the machines(real handy) and I think they were $200 ea. I thought that was outrageous but if Momma ain't happy nobody is. As it turned out once they were delivered I could see she would have been on her hands and knees loading and unloading the machines without them. And agreed it was a wise choice.

It really paid off when we were hit with the flood and about a foot of water in the house! We would have lost the washer and dryer if the risers had not kept the machines above the flood waters.

Edited by JD DANNELS, September 18, 2013 - 09:42 AM.

• MH81, LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#25 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 01:34 PM

Alan feel free to use my testimony on the Risers as a selling point if you wish.

Edited by JD DANNELS, September 18, 2013 - 01:34 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#26 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,643 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 03:43 PM

Regardless of wether or not people want to buy an old fashioned style washer.

Your mostly right. However, my wife and I just went to our local Sears outlet. Their cheapest Kenmore was a nuts and bolts conventional washer with knobs instead of buttons, four wash cycles and no detergent tray. It was $377 and they are quick to point out that for $20 more, you can buy a high efficiency model. So, basicly it is a  bait. Still it is available.

• MH81 said thank you

#27 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 05:06 PM

Your mostly right. However, my wife and I just went to our local Sears outlet. Their cheapest Kenmore was a nuts and bolts conventional washer with knobs instead of buttons, four wash cycles and no detergent tray. It was $377 and they are quick to point out that for $20 more, you can buy a high efficiency model. So, basicly it is a  bait. Still it is available.

If you were to look inside that machine, you would be surprised.

It no longer has a tranny... that's what I'm talking about... people are buying this stuff BECAUSE it looks like an old fashioned one and being (in my opinion) ripped off.. 

I could be wrong on a specific model, but if you were to give me the model # or look up the exploded view, you would see something like this...

typical POS washer.JPG

The red area is the "motor" "Transmission" and "Belt" all in one assembly loosely termed a "slutch" by the industry.  Basically, it is a light duty , reversible stepper motor and a plastic drive.  Just for perspective, the motor (#7) in this measures approx 4" cubed. 

#28 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,643 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 06:32 PM

I believe, if I remember the # is 20050 When compared to the low end effieciency model it's annual power number is 50 compared to 16.

Does anyone know if you can still get a new wringer washer? Don't they still sell them to the Amish and the Third World?

Edited by LilysDad, September 18, 2013 - 06:34 PM.

#29 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 06:53 PM

I think the partial model number is 20022. The full number (on the machine) is probably something like 110.20022010

That's almost the exact machine I copied that pic from earlier in the thread. Its made by whirlpool corp & It's a short term solution.

I should probably be a little more specific with what my beef is on units like this. The big problem to me is that they LOOK like the old ones... And no one is willing to say how different they are. To me, that's just dishonest. If a unit is only going to last 5 years, be honest about it and educate your customer. Don't tell them it's the same as the old Kenmore/whirlpool/maytag/GE when it isn't and won't even last a quarter of the time of the old ones...

The second biggest problem is the computer controls. I think there is a special little room in Hell for all the people who design complicated and expensive computers to do the same job as a simple analog mechanism. The little lights under (what looks like) a timer is actually the display for the computer. To do a calibration on them, you turn the knob r-l-r-r-r-l or something like that. I have to look it up every time I replace a computer in these, you'd think I would remember by now.
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#30 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 07:32 PM

The second biggest problem is the computer controls. I think there is a special little room in Hell for all the people who design complicated and expensive computers to do the same job as a simple analog mechanism. The little lights under (what looks like) a timer is actually the display for the computer.

Yep, I run into the same things on fridges. Everything "energy star" now has a microprocessor board to handle the simplest tasks in a fridge. When the board goes out, its usually $300-$500 for the board. The fridge only cost $600-$800. Cant really justify a repair on it. I tell my customers to avoid the energy star at all cost.

• MH81 said thank you