LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 04:25 PM

My good ole' Maytag washer just died. Now, I hear that the new Maytag(now owned by Whirlpool) is a POS. The trouble is, I don't know what is good. When I look on the 'net, they want to tell me about all the state of the art new stuff that has 14cycles and all the bells and whistles for $1000. All I want is a basic machine that warsches my clothes and lasts a long time.. It doesn't have to cook my breakfast.

What do you mechanics recommend???

• Cvans, oldedeeres and JRJ have said thanks

#2 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 04:35 PM

When we bought ours a couple of years ago every salesman said even the best ones will only last about 10 years.
  • LilysDad said thank you

#3 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 04:46 PM

I have a front load LG with all the bells and whistles but we only use half of the setting's, Why you ask, it was cheap :D

Got it at a sears outlet as a "scratch and dent", after doing a little reseach online found it was highly rated and a 10 year warrenty on motor(it's direct drive) works well and was under 500 bucks, listed @ over 1200.

P.S. I really got it for the water savings, use is half of a top load, and with 4 kids laundry is never ending. :thumbs:

• LilysDad, A.C.T., Dieselcubmike and 1 other said thanks

#4 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 05:03 PM

It is becoming clear that new appliances will not last. Furnaces and AC units have the same problem. My previous house had a furnace & A/C that was 25 years old that worked perfect. Now I will be lucky to get 8 to 10 years. High efficiency means its underpowered and will run nonstop and burn out.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 05:24 PM

Have a high end LG front loader. No operational issues. There is however the requirement to keep the inside of the gasket clean and rinse the sump with a javex solution every couple of months to avoid funky smells. This machine is about 6 years old now and I don't think this issue is as prevalent in Front loaders as it was back then. 

• Alc and LilysDad have said thanks

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 05:25 PM

You need to wait for Alan (MH81) to chime in.  He's the neighborhood appliance pro.  He can give you the lowdown on washers! 

• HDWildBill and LilysDad have said thanks

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 05:30 PM

We have a Speed Queen and it has sat there in a damp basement for over 10 years without a complaint.  No other brand would take the moisture as long as that one has.  On other brands, the frame and body always rusts away causing its demise even though I run a dehumidifier. 

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 05:31 PM

We have a Speed Queen and it has sat there in a damp basement for over 10 years without a complaint.  No other brand would take the moisture as long as that one has.  On other brands, the frame and body always rusts away causing its demise even though I run a dehumidifier. 

Speed Queen is the one Alan told me was just about the best made these days.  They also make most of the commercial laundrymat washing machines.

• Gtractor and LilysDad have said thanks

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 05:47 PM

Honestly you may not want my advice? Growing up in Newton, Ia(Washer City) I am biased.
My dad worked for Maytag, My brother worked for Maytag several cousins and many friends worked at maytag.
After Whirlpool shut down the plant and put over half the town out of work. And the stunts they pulled on the retirees.
When my Maytag died and I went looking for a new machine. I told the salesman nothing made by whirlpool!!
He said that eliminates about 70 percent of all apliances. I bought a Samsung and am very pleased.
I have also heard good things about the LG.

#10 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 05:48 PM

Did you consider hooking your tractor to your clothes, and dragging the whole assembly through the creek?  You can even add soap.

Come to think of it, that's a good way to dispose of my shop clothes.  :rocker2:

Ben W.

• LilysDad and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#11 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 08:10 PM

Ditto on waiting for Alan to chime in.  He will steer you in the right direction.

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,336 Thanks
  • 28,644 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 08:38 PM

My good ole' Maytag washer just died. Now, I hear that the new Maytag(now owned by Whirlpool) is a POS. The trouble is, I don't know what is good. When I look on the 'net, they want to tell me about all the state of the art new stuff that has 14cycles and all the bells and whistles for $1000. All I want is a basic machine that warsches my clothes and lasts a long time.. It doesn't have to cook my breakfast.

What do you mechanics recommend???

IMHO, Best bang for your buck (no question) is a Speed Queen AWN 412
http://www.speedquee...ts.aspx?type=85

They have been immune from some of the "from on high" mandates because they build a commercial quality product... That ends in 2014. If you, your family, any friends will need a washing machine at any time in the future, they would be well served to buy a SQ now, before the last "normal" washer is gone from existence.

The fancy top loaders that claim to be miracle machines are total POS from where I stand... I have zero tolerance for them, their design, etc... I have customers who buy them against advice and call a week later complaining about how bad they are... Usually because they overload them, but also because they are built for people who don't really need to wash their clothes, they just do because they wore it... (You know what I mean)

If you are going to go front load, Samsung, and LG are both good... But Samsung's support is almost as bad as GE and their parts distrib is worse. If you have to go front load, I would go LG. On any good front load machine, expect a 7-10 yr lifespan. Normal everyday top load, 3-5. GE 2-3 yrs. I'm not kidding, that's how bad some of this stuff is now.

One other name to throw in is Fisher Pakyel. They build a decent product in some cases. The ones with the agitators will actually wash clothes using less water.

No matter what you buy, do the research, if it has a computer: get a good extended warranty, and above all else, buy it from someone who fixes their own stuff... Sears farms all that out to A&E (3 weeks wait in these parts) most other chains just refer you to someone else. Nothing is more frustrating that having a machine in warranty and you can't get it fixed because there isn't any warranty service in your area.
  • Gtractor, OldBuzzard, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#13 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 08:48 PM

"from on high" mandates? Huh?

#14 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 08:48 PM

Our 5 year old Maytags were junk. I asked the parts guy the last time I was there what was good. He said Whirlpool or Sears Lady Kenmore. We've had the front load LK for 7 years. Big water saver.

#15 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 10:23 PM

We bought a Samsung front load 4 years ago Christmas and have had great luck with it. We had a Maytag and it did about 15 years of mud clothes before the drum seal went out and it was $400 to fix a machine that cost $500. I put the seal kit in myself but the drum surface was scored to badly for it to seal for more than a year. In my humble opinion the Samsung is good, so far.

Geno