FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted December 02, 2010 - 10:38 PM

Well, today I checked with a few suppliers to see how much it would cost me for some better paint. I am going to use auto paint for this tractor (and the will re-do the 12G) Both NAPA and a local paint supplier seem to come in about $75.00 for a "sprayable" quart of paint. "Sprayable" is the term used for a ready to spray package. Hardener, paint, and reducer. When the time comes to finish the red, I will repaint the cowl & fender pan I already did for my 12G and all the 12H will be done like this too. For now, all my dark gray stuff is almost ready for paint and will be done in an auto finish.

Stay tuned, I have to pick up a tube of putty so that I can fill in some of the rust pitting on the side steps and I can paint a batch of gray parts maybe next weekend! I have to get a move on it, I may need the plow soon! :thumbs:

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,237 Thanks
  • 28,598 posts

Posted December 03, 2010 - 07:40 AM

Once that hardener is in there, the clock is ticking... even in an airtight can.

If the project will be spread out for a while, want to mix your own.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 03, 2010 - 08:01 AM

Yes once hardener is mixed in,you generally have 4 to 6 hours to use it.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted December 03, 2010 - 09:12 AM

And dare not forget to clean the gun when using hardener...it'll ruin it! I waited just a little long one time & it had jelled, but I got it out "just in time"!

#5 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted December 03, 2010 - 09:19 AM

Don't forget guys... I am a "professional" body man in my roots. I work in the Insurance industry now as an appraiser, but I spent years painting cars. That may explain some of my fab skills, Eh?

PS.. for those curious, I spent 11 years in the Fire / EMS service, but left about 7 years ago. However, I have used the FF-EMT screen name for so long even prior to that, I have just kept it going. I think I first started to use that about 1998 or so.

Anyway, I am very well versed on the paint... I figured seeing as I had to go with something other than the Valspar TSC paint for the gray, I will use a better paint on the red. I "may" keep the Valspar on the mower deck as it will get painted pretty much yearly as maintenance due to normal use. It held up just fine over the last year, but you can tell it fades easy and it does not seem as hard as an auto paint.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted December 03, 2010 - 09:29 AM

Oh yes, I forgot your knowledge of paint. I'm sure you know much more than I do!

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,237 Thanks
  • 28,598 posts

Posted December 03, 2010 - 11:48 AM

Oh yes, I forgot your knowledge of paint. I'm sure you know much more than I do!

:ditto:

Sorry, just wanting to save someone else the hassles of a lesson learned the hard way. :D

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 03, 2010 - 01:01 PM

Oh yes, I forgot your knowledge of paint.

:ditto:Also,please disregard my last post, post # 3.

#9 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted December 03, 2010 - 03:50 PM

LOL... No worries guys, they are good warnings for sure! I have done that myself before (more than once) and it's a PITA to clean that chunky solid mass out of a paint gun for sure! I think primer is the worst, when that stuff dries in a gun it also has that primer bond to the bare metal that its made for. Anyway, there is no need to repeal postings and all.

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 03, 2010 - 11:28 PM

I am anxious to see how she turns out after the paint. I love seeing projects progress, especially right now since I haven't had much of a chance to work on mine so the next best thing is seeing everyone else work on theirs.

#11 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted December 04, 2010 - 03:16 PM

It's getting there. Right now I am working on getting the parts for the 12G that were sandblasted all painted and put back on before it snows. Once painted, I will be able to mount the snow plow and weight package on the tractor. I have already swapped over my loaded turfs and put the chains on. Today, I am putting some putty on the rust pitting left on the foot boards and giving them another coat of primer. Then the plan is to paint them next weekend.

Yesterday the SSI coil for the 12H's OH140 motor was mailed to Ed Stoller to be modified and then I can start to work on getting the 12H's motor running.

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted December 04, 2010 - 03:37 PM

Yesterday the SSI coil for the 12H's OH140 motor was mailed to Ed Stoller to be modified and then I can start to work on getting the 12H's motor running.

How much does he charge for that service?

#13 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted December 04, 2010 - 05:31 PM

Unless he changed his price, it should be $25 to first test the unit, and if needed to modify it. Although this is the "hard" style coil to modify. He has a pretty neat test set up that is an old block & crankshaft that he spins with a VS motor. This way he can do an extended coil test to see if it works, and if it does, if it stays running.

With a known good stator coil, he removes any wiring problems or bad stator coils. He can also make sure that it keeps firing strong at all RPM's and for a long time. My old coil on the 12G tested good at first, but failed a long term test on his set up. I guess this is a common problem with them when they heat up.