7 replies to this topic

#1 fedora OFFLINE  

fedora
  • Member No: 35630
  • 48 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 12:06 PM

Hello all,

I had an issue with a 91' B&S 18 hp twin cylinder that would stall when it was hot and wouldn't start until it was cool again...at the time when it wouldn't start, I didn't have spark.

I put a new coil on it and all seemed well...today I was mowing and it ran great, I shut it off to get a drink, and 15 minutes later when I went to start it, it wouldn't. I have spark(don't ask how I know, lol). I put a set of those E3 spark plugs in it, maybe I ought to go back to the oem units...

It's getting fuel, spark(on the boots), and the air passages/filters are fine, and ether didn't help.

What do you all think?

• boyscout862 and JRJ have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 01:31 PM

Did you add gas while it was stopped? Since gas is getting to the carb I would suspect the gas may be contaminated. Good Luck, Rick

#3 fedora OFFLINE  

fedora
  • 48 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 02:43 PM

I had just topped it off with fresh fuel with a seafoam and marine stabil mix. I put a set of NGK plugs in it, and it fired up, which didn't surprise me since the engine was cool by then. After finishing mowing, about an hour or so, I parked it, shut it off and put the chainsaw away, and after 10 minutes, it fired right up, I kept starting it until it had pretty much cooled down.

I know those E3 plugs cover a wide heat range, so maybe it killed the weak coil, and was throwing fits when they heated up, I don't know for sure, but I know those were the last E3 plugs I'll buy.

• JRJ said thank you

#4 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 02:52 PM

Never had any luck with those E3 plugs either, never tried them in anything but 2-stroke engines but seem like they didn't last at all.

P.S. I use NGK when available, never had one foul yet.

• gopher and JRJ have said thanks

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 04:09 PM

I prefer NGK as well but I'll also use champion and have had good luck with them on the smaller engines.  

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 05:46 PM

The E3 plugs are junk in my very humble opinion.  Every machine I tried them on (I jumped on that bandwagon when they came out, and bought a box) got ticked with them.  They do not work for condenser and points units.

Did you pull a plug out when it wouldn't start?  Was the engine flooded with gas? 

Ether in a cylinder flooded won't do a thing. 

Ben W.

#7 Many944s OFFLINE  

Many944s
  • Member No: 47116
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 17, 2013 - 03:26 PM

+1 on th E3 plugs being junk! I tried running some in my sleds last year and had nothin but problems. Changed back to NGK and had no issues!

#8 fedora OFFLINE  

fedora
  • 48 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted September 17, 2013 - 05:34 PM

sorry it took a while to respond, but I didn't pull a plug when it was hot. I don't think it was flooded, it usually starts on or before the second revolution, so I stopped at about five, then tried it again after 15 minutes with no luck.

On an update though, I ran it around for about 30 minutes today and shut it off, it fired right back up, so my theory is still the plugs.

• MH81 and JRJ have said thanks