4 replies to this topic

#1 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 11:13 PM

I'm in the chicken business and am about ready to go big or go home. I've been offered to supply a local business with chicks in the spring. The bad news is she gets 500 at a time. That means I want to set 700 eggs. Coming up with that many at one time will be hard. Any ideas on how to get them?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• A.C.T., oldedeeres and JRJ have said thanks

#2 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 12:46 AM

imagesCALKU60G.jpg Will have to get back to you!

#3 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,834 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 12:58 AM

Boy, the logistics on this one make my head hurt! We have only a small flock of mixed laying birds, leghorns, Columbians, and what are called up here, ASA browns. As luck would have it, in our order for 25 Columbian pullets there was one little rooster, so , Presto, we now have fertilized eggs. Every now and again, when one of the girls is in the mood, she'll sneak off and set a clutch, but it doesn't sound like that is the business you're in. As you know, getting enough eggs at the right time of year and setting them successfully is the problem. What kind of birds does your buyer want? Meat birds aren't as prolific layers as the others, so it'll be harder to get that number of eggs without endangering fertility. Buying enough setting eggs to make up a numerical short fall will cut into your profit. Does the buyer just want chicks, or sexed chicks? If he wants pullets only you'll probably have to double the number of eggs you set, Murphy's Law being what it is  Do you have a market for the overflow? Guess I'm chicken,( no pun intended, lol) but I'd go with buying the extra setting eggs from a larger commercial hatchery if you can make up the difference in profit on the sale of the peepers.

• JRJ said thank you

#4 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 02:51 AM

I use to sell all kinds of chicks, built a 3000 egg incubator, make your contacts now for the spring, most people will add a roaster to the flock if they have a serious buyer,i went as far as having a few loner roasters to toss into their flock , once the word gets around your buying 500 will not be an issue, i would set 1000 eggs for tuesday as the auctions in my area were thurs and fri, a little advice if you dont mind, try some other birds also, i was setting africian geese and getting $9 a day old, guennie hens $5, standard polish $3-6, bronze and royal palm turkeys $8 -10, little call ducks always bring big money $5-15, and to be honest there is more money in day olds than raising them, i was getting $9 for day old geese but $5 when i got them to market weight, i never raised another bird after that unless it was for my own freezer, you cannot compete with the finished growers,

• oldedeeres said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 05:47 AM

The only chickens i have are in my freezer. We buy 2 dozen at a time from an organic farmer. Have you considered going into the "free range" chicken business. Around here the demand is high and the price is about 3$/pound. The ones we get are 8 pounds+. 

• oldedeeres said thank you