Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Started our first fire of the season in the wood stove this evening....

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 02, 2010 - 06:47 PM

Started our first fire of the season in the wood stove this evening.... I LOVE good wood heat!!! This is FREE heat, too! Wood was given to me by a friend from church. More where that came from, and also have a chance to get free oak (about a cord) nearby, already cut to length but not split.

Winter begins!!!

Edited by nra1ifer, December 02, 2010 - 07:02 PM.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted December 02, 2010 - 07:22 PM

You cant beat a wood stove.
I love it when it gets to a good 84F (I must be cold blooded)

#3 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 02, 2010 - 08:02 PM

You cant beat a wood stove.
I love it when it gets to a good 84F (I must be cold blooded)

Yep, it doesn't make you feel bad to keep it warm in the house or even open a window if needed. Good exercise cutting wood, too. Dad says, "Wood heats you at least twice...... cutting it, then burning it."

#4 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 04:05 PM

Wood heat In my opinion is about the the best you can get, not to mention the savings in utility bills. I am getting ready to start on a system for next year. I am thinking of an outside firebox with five or six ton of rock storage for the heat exchanger. I have seen a couple of these, and really liked them. I think they are called HASHAs or something like that. I want to stay with hot air and not the hot water system. I am located in a very rural area, and own enough wooded area to keep me going. I am on soc sec. now and am going to have to do something or am not going to make with three hundred dollar electric bills and propane going up. I used wood heat up until 15 years ago when we bought a new mobile home[boxcar with windows] but now, itis paid off and I can do what I want.

Any suggestions on this method would be welcome.

regards GEORGE

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 07:39 PM

We are going to be doing an outside wood burner next year. I wish we had a wood stove this year but it will make us realize how beneficial the OWB will be once we have it. We are going to be piping it in to the oil fired baseboard heat system in the house and then a heat exchanger for mom and dad's place. The insulated line is really expensive though at around $10 a foot.

Mom and dad had a wood stove when we were kids, I loved sitting in front of the stove and get as close as you could with your back until you couldn't stand it anymore and pull away only for your clothing to be hot still as your skin cooled off.

We have around 20 cord sitting up on the hill. I think we have about a 1/3 of it split. We need to split the rest of it but it was all cut for the intentions of next years OWB.

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 08:07 PM

I'd either have to go with an outside wood furnace, or put in a new flue system. We're having some logging done and there's enough wood to keep a house heated for years...if the wood didn't get too old. I'd love to have a wood stove inside, so I could hug up to it after a cold day's farm work. Outside system is too pricey for me to afford, and inside, there's not really a good place for one.

#7 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 08:24 PM

Daniel, friend of mine had an old chimney in his house re-done so he could put wood burner in basement. By the time they were done with new flue liner, filler etc. he was out almost 2500.oo. And, this did not count the cost of the OL TIMER stove.

#8 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 08:24 PM

Yea i love the hot stove in the morning to stand in front of.We have a pellet/corn stove and when corn was $1.25 a bussel a few years ago it was great.But pellets are cheaper now and burn real nice.
  • dryrun said thank you

#9 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 08:32 PM

BOB, have often wondered what it would cost to heat with pellet stove, could you give us an idea what it cost to heat with one? Such as how much area you heat.

regards GEORGE

#10 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 08:42 PM

Daniel, friend of mine had an old chimney in his house re-done so he could put wood burner in basement. By the time they were done with new flue liner, filler etc. he was out almost 2500.oo. And, this did not count the cost of the OL TIMER stove.

It can get pricey I put an air tight insert in 1 of my fireplaces, got the stove for free but the 1 piece SS chimney cost $900. installed.
Pellet stoves are really good, clean, long run time, steady heat and chimney out the wall.

#11 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 08:53 PM

I heat around 2000 square feet.We try not to run the furnace in the winter and it usally only comes on when the stove is off for cleaning.It's a older stove the newer ones you don't have to turn off to clean out.right now the temps outside are around 18 degrees and the stove is on low inside about 70.We use about one to two 40 pound bags a day.I buy the pellets by the ton and this year it was $175 a ton.There is 50 bags to a ton so i would say we spend around $3.50 a day depending on how cold it is.We have heat and hot water heater is both on propan and i have it filled in oct or nov and will not have it filled again until around april and it is a 500 gal tank.I really like the pellet stove and in your case it may be the way to go.

#12 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 09:14 PM

WOW, that is a lot better than i thought. I had been told that you could not afford to burn them on pellets. I will spend about 1200.00 for year on propane, not counting electric supplement heat in coldest weather. I am only heating about 1500 square ft. Thanks for info, will be looking into this.

NRALIFER, didn"t mean to hog the thread, but this is very interesting.

regards GEORGE

#13 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 09:28 PM

I like a fireplace, but they are not efficient. We have an insert with a window at camp. It gets going after a half a day and really warms the place. It goes out overnight though. Much more fun to watch than the furnace though.

#14 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 12:07 PM

NRALIFER, didn"t mean to hog the thread, but this is very interesting.

regards GEORGE

No problem here. I've been enjoying the reading...

It was 19* here this morning. 70* in the house. I LOVE IT!!!

When I was deciding on what kind of stove to purchase a few years back, the conclusion I came to was: Whether I had an inside stove or an outside wood furnace, I'd go with a real wood setup as opposed to pellets. Reason: When things really DO go to heck, I can always cut wood.... can't make pellets!

I close off a couple of rooms in the house, so I'm probably heating somewhere around 1500 sq. ft. Also, we run a console humidifier to keep the humidity between 45-50% in the house.

#15 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 04:58 PM

MY MY lifer whatever would make you think there is trouble ahead?

George