Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 06:06 PM

Nice MF

A hoe on the back works as well as chains on the tires.

Plus, you can do a whole bunch more with the hoe. :smilewink:

• David Brown said thank you

#17 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 07:33 PM

Nice MF

A hoe on the back works as well as chains on the tires.

Plus, you can do a whole bunch more with the hoe. :smilewink:

While that's true, the chains are a whole lot cheaper than the hoe.  I ordered a full set of chains today.  Thanks for the tip.

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 10:46 PM

Jeff,
That's one sweet ride. Looking forward to seeing it in person.

#19 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 - 04:20 AM

Jeff,
That's one sweet ride. Looking forward to seeing it in person.

Thanks.  Ryan made such an impression on me that I had to drive a Massey, just like he does!

• MH81 said thank you

#20 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 12:54 PM

Got my new chains today from TirechainsRUS.com.  What I expected is definitely not what I got.  For under $155 (free shipping too) I got tires for all for wheels on the Massey and they are far more beefy than I expected them to be.  These are just regular chains, no V bars on them but they are 2 link chains.  How long they last is yet to be determined but I'm very happy with what I got.  Now I want to find someplace that does rim guard before winter if possible.

• MH81 said thank you

#21 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 11:00 PM

Dang, you should be able to go anywhere with all 4 chained up,,,,, Ive never really needed chains with the 4wd and diff lock on the AC5020, for an extra 500-600 on the rear I put the box blade on and I can also use that to scrape, nice thing about using an attachment for weight, when you take it off your light again for lawn work,,, if you dig with the loader its easier on the loader if you rip it loose with a box blade and scarrifers.

Edited by js5020, September 18, 2013 - 11:01 PM.

#22 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 07:38 AM

I usually plow with a Ford 2000 with FEL. I have chains but only put them on for the winter. Last winter I was lazy and didn't put the chains on. I put a 1000# counterweight on the 3ph and left it at that. When it snowed more than a foot I missed the chains but otherwise they weren't needed. I recommend a counterweight for your 3ph instead of loading the tires, especially if you have to trailer the tractor. Good Luck, Rick

#23 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 09:14 AM

Got my new chains today from TirechainsRUS.com.  What I expected is definitely not what I got.  For under $155 (free shipping too) I got tires for all for wheels on the Massey and they are far more beefy than I expected them to be.  These are just regular chains, no V bars on them but they are 2 link chains.  How long they last is yet to be determined but I'm very happy with what I got.  Now I want to find someplace that does rim guard before winter if possible.

Jeff Check the Rim Guard site. I was under the impression that the nearest rim guard dealer in Iowa was about 90 miles away(Tipton,Ia).

But when I checked their site, I discovered that the CO-OP about a mile from my house was a dealer as well.

So the Rim Guard may be closer than you think.

As for the Chains you will love them. I got caught sleeping last winter and got a good snow before I had put the chains on my 1500. Got stuck on a little hump(This is embarassing) Neighbor pulled me out with his Polaris 4 wheeler. Put the Chains on and never had a problem the rest of the winter. I have since replaced the worn out tire on the left side, but will chain up before it snows this year.

Edited by JD DANNELS, September 19, 2013 - 09:20 AM.

#24 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 09:35 AM

I usually plow with a Ford 2000 with FEL. I have chains but only put them on for the winter. Last winter I was lazy and didn't put the chains on. I put a 1000# counterweight on the 3ph and left it at that. When it snowed more than a foot I missed the chains but otherwise they weren't needed. I recommend a counterweight for your 3ph instead of loading the tires, especially if you have to trailer the tractor. Good Luck, Rick

Interesting you bring this up.  I considered taking a barrel, putting some pins in it and filling it with concrete to connect to the three point.  That may be heavier than what I need.  Maybe my 258 pound blade would be enough.  We'll see how it goes I guess.  I'm not doing anything with the rim guard this year figuring I can add weight if needed.  Just in doing some loader work last night let me see the difference with the 4wd in and out.  In 2wd I just spin at the slightest resistance but with the 4wd in, nothing would stop it.  Needless to say, I have much to learn before the snow flies.  The only thing I am sure of is...  I LIKE IT!

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#25 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 12:18 PM

My counterweight is a cube of concrete. If I could change one thing about it, I would add a receiver hitch on the back . I think that Surplus Center has a good sale on the pins. Good Luck, Rick

#26 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 05:50 PM

i would agree on the receiver hitch. I have one of those hitch bars that goes between the lift arms with all the holes in it.

But it turns so I can not just back up to my trailer and lift the ball into the socket.
I plan to get a receiver and weld an upright on it to hook the top link in and bolt it to the hitch bar.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#27 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 07:05 PM

Nice tractor. Bring it by the house so we can get it dirty.