• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 eriklane OFFLINE  

eriklane
  • Member No: 32842
  • 10 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 08:12 PM

My b10 belt that powers the mower-when I put the mower high, it rubs on the bar that goes left to right across the rear of the deck. I want to mow at high level, but cannot, it tears up the belt.

Also, When I put it in gear, I always grind. If I'm real careful, it can help a lot...Can it be adjusted to never grind by using the adjusters under the seat?

#2 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 11:00 PM

You need to always operate the mower with the rollers on the ground in the manner it was designed.  No way around that.  

As for the gears grinding you need to address that right away.   People try to slam them into gear to prevent the grind and permenantly damage the shifter forks.  It can be adjusted.  You need to do a complete adjustment of the clutch which surprisingly starts with the brakes.  http://www.simplicit..._01_LL_S_LO.pdf
This manual seems to have no info about the belt guard at the BGB. If that belt guard does not have the proper clearance (I think about 1/8" above the back of the belt) the belt will continue to run even with the clutch is fully depressed. First start with the proper clutch idler and brake band adjustment then adjust that belt guard.
  • Alc, drbish and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,062 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 06:20 AM

I would start with the belt guard and if you can get you clearance closer to 1/16", you probaly wont have to touch anything else. Got a picture of it currently? How much are you trying to mow with the deck raised and why? They made other attachments for rough cut mowing in tall grass and weeds, and while I do and have done what you do without belt failure or really any noticable wear, Phil is right...its not designed for it and not recommended. Heat is what would wreck your belt, and it would take a lot of frction for a long time if its a Simplicity belt.
  • drbish said thank you

#4 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 12:28 PM

I have actually seen the Rocker arm assembly cut by the belt due to operators trying to rough cut with the mower in raised position. The new RBT's don't suffer that issue but is still not designed to be used that way.

On the clutch I said to do a complete adjustment because often previous owners start tinkering with all the adjustments to try and solve the issue when it first appears. The brakes are too tight so they can't clutch all the way so they add oversized nuts behind the thimble on the clutch linkage to depress the clutch more. All along they had the wrong belt or simply a bad adjustment on the belt guard. The adjustments are pretty simple on the B10.

Edited by skunkhome, September 14, 2013 - 12:34 PM.

#5 eriklane OFFLINE  

eriklane
  • 10 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 - 09:50 AM

I was just trying to cut higher, the grass was pretty long, but will just not do that in the future...And thanks, will definitely do the brake adjustment...thanks for that PDF.

#6 eriklane OFFLINE  

eriklane
  • 10 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 07:21 AM

Reading the manual reveals that 11/16 is definitely not what I had on both the brake band or the clutch rod..however, the real trick is waiting to shift until the drive wheel stops, which is about 2 - 3 seconds.  While I did adjust both mentioned, I just need to slow down when I shift and I think the problem will be solved. Actually, not sure you can ever adjust that out as long as that wheel is spinning, you'll grind, correct?

#7 acguy96 OFFLINE  

acguy96

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5431
  • 26 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 08:44 PM

Whenever you shift, you must be completely stopped and the input to the transmission must be stopped, or else it will grind. It's just the way these rears are designed. Usually on my tractor I have to rock forward and back to get it to go in gear. Hopefully that answers your question.

• skunkhome said thank you

#8 littlemarv OFFLINE  

littlemarv
  • Member No: 34218
  • 61 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 10:34 AM

You want to adjust all the belt guards (however many you have) so they are right next to the belt when the clutch pedal is released. That way, as soon as you step on the pedal, the backside of the belt will rub and stop. Also, make sure your pulleys aren't rusty. That rust will grab the belt just like a chain and sprocket. I have also took the belt off and turned it around, helps sometimes too.