• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 07:50 PM

Last weekend, I attended a very large tractor show. The show host organization required proof of liability insurance in the amount of $500,000 if you wanted to ride a golf cart, UTV, "Butt-Buggy" or garden tractor around the fair grounds.

Today, I contacted my home/auto insurance agent and asked him about liability insurance for my GT(s) for the purpose of riding at shows. He couldn't come up with any information at this time, but said he would get back with me.

My question(s):

1. Do any of you have liability insurance on any of your GT's that you ride at shows?

2. Is the insurance a "blanket" policy where you can use ANY GT you own, or is the policy "vehicle specific" and model/serial numbers have to be on the policy?

3. Some show sponsors cover the insurance for you if you are a member....How many clubs do you belong to that require membership vs. personal insurance?

I am not opposed to the insurance, but I hate to have to indentify 1 or 2 GT's on a policy....what if I feel like taking a different tractor to a show to ride?

What information can you shead on this issue?

• tinbender7 said thank you

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 07:55 PM

All I'll say is that while I see the reason the show says that, I don't think I could do that at my show.  That's just too high of a requirement.

A loud garden tractor may be one thing, but if you need insurance to ride a golf cart, there's going to be some noise raised somewhere!

Ben W.

• tinbender7 said thank you

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 09:16 PM

Actually, a golf cart is easier to insure for liablity than a garden tractor. I  went through the same thing. The Portland club wanted the car insurance as proof. I called the agent and he said it was a gray area but probably wouldn't be covered. He said if I drove down trhe street and had a problem, the homeowner's would cover it but didn't think it would work out of state. Eventually, I joined a branch of the Early Day Gas Engine and Tractor Assoc. (EDGE&TA) You have to be a member of a branch and then you can join the national. They have a million dollar liability policy for members anytime you are showing engines or tractors. My theory is, insurance is always good................until you have to collect! Good Luck!!

• MH81, Alc, sacsr and 3 others have said thanks

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,630 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 09:46 PM

An antique garden tractor in stock form should never have to be registered as a butt buggy at an old tractor/engine show. 

It is an antique machinery display plain and simple.  If they can't figure that out, I figure I won't be going back. 

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 04:03 AM

My agent said that my homeowners insurance WOULD NOT pay at a show.

Insurance IS NOT needed while displaying at a show....Only if you drive around.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 05:23 AM

There is also a Horsepower and $ limit on home insurance. When I got the 2320 I asked about liability on my own property. I had to purchase a separate coverage and it costs about 80$/year. That's just to use it on my own property. The HP and $ limits likely won't be an issue with most older GT's but with the new 25hp + mowers that are out there it could be an unpleasant surprise if it was stolen or there was an accident. It would be best to check with your agent to make sure of coverage. 

• Alc said thank you

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 06:51 AM

I can see reasons for insurance . Can you imagine if someone got hurt by a freak accident say a clutch rod popped off and ran into people , there would be law suits all over . Another reason might be an easy way to limit the amount of people joy riding without banning it completly . At our local show there is a lot of noise from engines running at displays that you can't hear if someone is driving a tractor butt buggy ect between the people . Now you need to be handicaped or permission to drive around the show
  • TomLGT195 said thank you

#8 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 10:02 AM

Actually, I can't believe there aren't more accidents at machinery shows.  I see a lot of kids riding around on GTs by themselves that are WAY too young and/or small.  I've seen several that can't even properly reach the pedals.  It's not bad if everything goes smoothly but the lack of experience/judgment when things go wrong can be a disaster as the kids don't know how to react.  Someone steps out in front of one of those kids that can't reach the brake or the tractor gets away from them going down a hill.  It's an accident waiting to happen.

• Alc said thank you

#9 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 01:29 PM

Insurance IS NOT needed while displaying at a show....Only if you drive around.

That's a statement that I disagree with, especially in today's world. Some shows don't require it but others require membership so you are covered under their insurance. I've been to shows that don't require membership but make you sign a release of liability from the club. If you are running a piece of equipment and something happens to hurt someone, there's liability involved whether its actually your fault or not

#10 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 02:52 PM

That's a statement that I disagree with, especially in today's world. Some shows don't require it but others require membership so you are covered under their insurance. I've been to shows that don't require membership but make you sign a release of liability from the club. If you are running a piece of equipment and something happens to hurt someone, there's liability involved whether its actually your fault or not

I'm not saying that I don't need insurance to show, I am saying the show host is not requiring it